Watch Collection Progression
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By U5512
  • 1 Post By Knives and Lint

Thread: Watch Collection Progression

I’m not sure if I would call this a progression, but am curious how others’ experience go in their watch tastes or preferences.

I began with the popular Seiko divers for a while. I eventually landed my first Omega Aqua Terra and a Planet Ocean, but went to Hamilton Khaki Field for an everyday. A Panerai 424 became a part of my collection.

Eventually I took to being a WIS and my collection grew.

I was a bit impulsive at first trying various pieces because I took the pictures I saw on Instagram.

I am not learning patience. Instead or purchasing something I want, weighing the options on where I want to contribute my monies to.

I thought large watches were my style, but I have found myself going smaller as of late. At one point a simple dial was a necessity but I see myself going towards chronographs. I wouldn’t get anything but an automatic, but now I’d choose a no date manual wind anyway.

Curious how others have changed or stayed the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Watch Collection Progression

I am EVERYTHING that you stated in your post.
    gohmdoree likes this.

Also adding I have taken an interest into lighter colored dials. Used to be all black dials.

I was into just having leather bands made but interested in bracelet.

It is interesting to know for myself that whatever my preference is today will change at some point and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Primary influences chronologically ordered from around 8yo to present:

Casios-Citizens- Tissot-Oris-Seiko-Omega-Tudor-IWC-Rolex-Zenith-???

I have always gravitated towards sports type watches; not crazy on multiple complications; mostly black dials, three handers with or without day/date. Recently being adding more colours-blue/green dials.

Never really got into dress watches - but getting to see the attraction to simpler and more elegant pieces.

Not sure where I am heading next, but in hindsight my collection has matured as I find what resonates with me more. I think I may start looking off the beaten path more often and more seriously.

Similar journey to everyone else really.

digital casios throughout my childhood years.

I went through a designer watch phase in my teens early 20's. Dkny Armani, Hugo boss etc the bigger/shinier the better!

Next up was the GShock phase. I was a sucker for anything with solar power & multiband 6. Particularly the analogue/aviator style. EBay became my best friend.

GShock Fatigue started creeping in eventually so I started to consider buying my Grail which at that time was a Seiko Astron GPS. I could easily afford it but couldn't justify spending £1k+ on 1 watch at that time so started looking for alternatives. In doing that I ventured deeper down the rabbit hole and when I came out the other side a few months later my whole perspective on watches had shifted.

With all this new information I was soakin up I decided It would be better to start my collection from stratch, I ended up selling all my designer watches (I held onto 2 for sentimental reasons) and a handful of the G shocks and now had enough to buy a decent Automatic or 2.

So the third phase began. I Bought a few (my first auto being a Seiko naturally) sold a few and in that process fell in love with a Hamilton khaki 38mm I bought on a whim. It's dimensions were perfect for my wrist size and I wouldn't dare venture beyond 42mm now.

At the moment I'm Loving simple 3 handers and tool watches, field/flieger/pilot/explorer the the less cluttered the better. Black or blue dials, leather or rubber straps not a massive fan of dress watches and I don't see the appeal of a chrono (yet) I appreciate the mechanics but I don't really care for the look and I have no use for one.

There's some Amazing microbrands out there too which Im looking forward to exploring further.

Currently looking for a good 38 to 40mm automatic diver to finalise my entry level collection, considering a Helson Shark38 or a Ginault ocean Rover.

I'm still learning and exploring so don't know where ill end up next but I'm enjoying the journey.
    Last edited by Mr Auto; June 9th, 2019 at 22:13.

I have had a similar experience. However, I've been giving this some thought recently, and I can't help but wonder if I was fooling myself into believing that my "tastes were evolving". Perhaps the answer is more likely that I like experiencing new things and eventually tire of the old ones.

The first collectible vintage wristwatch I purchased for myself (1986) was a LeCoultre chronograph from the early ‘60’s. 33 years later, I still prefer chronographs, but with the exception of some IWC Titans from the 80’s, I prefer modern ones.
    In between, I have touched on many different styles of watches, but almost exclusively Swiss and, in the early years, vintage American Hamilton. There was even a short period when I sold the chronographs in my collection to fund solid gold dress watches from Patek Philippe. What was I thinking?
    Oh, nearly forgot...a few years ago I bought my first vintage Seiko, and now have four vintage and two contemporary Seiko’s. And two of my modern chronographs are made in Germany.

Thread Information