Watch Confessions - Here's mine

Thread: Watch Confessions - Here's mine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Watch Confessions - Here's mine

It finally dawned on me this morning at work. I looked at myself
    and saw that my watch strap matched my belt which matched my shoes.
    I have officially passed the point of no return. Apparently I am a WIS
    even though I do not think of myself that way.
    As the Seinfeld cast has said "not that there's anything wrong with that".
    The bad part is that it really was not even a conscious choice, it just happened.
    The good part is that this will not happen when I wear a watch with
    a bracelet. Those matching shoes would be impossible to find.

Re: Watch Confessions - Here's mine

Don't feel too bad. I make sure I not only have a black strap when wearing my black Converse All Stars but that it is also a nylon/canvas to match material.

Edit: I forgot about belts! Luckily I have several web belts in black for my Chuckie T's.
    Last edited by Guido Muldoon; January 14th, 2009 at 18:48. Reason: Added thoughts
    Current favorites:
    Squale Y1545 20 ATMOS Militaire (Original) Ser. No. 0001; Sturmanskie Open Space 24Hr Ser. No. 199/250; Glycine Airman 17; Seiko Prospex PADI SRPA21;
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20; Bathys Black Aquaculture; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS; + about 25 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

V8

Your belt and shoes should ALWAYS match. A matching watch strap just completes the ensenble.

When I get my clothes together in the evening for work the next day I always pick out a complementing watch.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately (because I love to dress) my job is a jeans and work boots dress code but I always make sure that my watch matches my sweat shirt or ball cap or something that I'm wearing!!!! When I go to the gym I always make sure my G-Shock matches my sweats or sneaks, that's a little easier to do given the color options!!! You have to have some kind of fashion sense if you own any type of great watch because there are some horrible pieces out there!!!

Not only are we watch afficionados, but true fashion plates! I like it! I'm not the only one who uses a watch as a fashion accessory as well as a timepiece. My big confession is my monthly printed list of the watch rotation...I do the 2-3 watches per day(spend $'s on watches, no winders, so all have to see wrist time!) and co-ordinate apparel to work w/ the watches chosen. My work schedule has changed...this year I'm doing my outside sales calls a.m. to early afternoon,so it's a dress watch, come back to "virtual home office" change from suit/jacket & tie look to T-shirt & casual sport watch and "dial for $'s" Weekends are usually started off by a "work around the house" watch, then a couple more sport types during the day, maybe a dress watch if I go out to dinner etc. Hey, it keeps 'em all running and none feel unloved.

I do that too!! I always make sure the watch colors match/work with the shoes...black watch strap with brown shoes? oh no thank you sir!

Hi, I'm Craig and I'm a WIS...

Is it wrong that I plan what I'm wearing the night before based on which watch I want to wear? If I change my mind in the morning I get thrown into this weird panic about changing my outfit...

don't you judge me!
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by ewok88 View Post
    It finally dawned on me this morning at work. I looked at myself
    and saw that my watch strap matched my belt which matched my shoes.
    I have officially passed the point of no return. Apparently I am a WIS
    even though I do not think of myself that way.
    I don't think that coordinating strap, belt, and shoes really has anything to do with being a WIS....that's more about fashion than about horology or watch appreciation.
    In fact, I would even go so far as to say that real WIS's have no problem bucking fashion trends and fashion rules just to wear a watch that they have a special fondness for, should they be so inclined.

For example....

Non-WIS fashionista: "Hey, are you aware that your watch strap doesn't match your belt or shoes?".

WIS: "Yes. But I'm taking a flight to Denver today and this is my favorite aviator's watch....it's a style that harken's back to the golden age of aviation, a style worn by many of the pilots of the time,....it has a beautiful hi-beat manual movement which you can see through the large display back....and notice the awesome lum on the dial visible easily through the non-reflective sapphire, and while it's not tritrium....and notice the second time-zone indicator.....and just look at how legible the dial design is....and, hey, wait, let me tell you about the strap....where are you going....wait....".

Quote Originally Posted by neveronmonday View Post
    I don't think that coordinating strap, belt, and shoes really has anything to do with being a WIS....that's more about fashion than about horology or watch appreciation.
    In fact, I would even go so far as to say that real WIS's have no problem bucking fashion trends and fashion rules just to wear a watch that they have a special fondness for, should they be so inclined.

For example....

Non-WIS fashionista: "Hey, are you aware that your watch strap doesn't match your belt or shoes?".

WIS: "Yes. But I'm taking a flight to Denver today and this is my favorite aviator's watch....it's a style that harken's back to the golden age of aviation, a style worn by many of the pilots of the time,....it has a beautiful hi-beat manual movement which you can see through the large display back....and notice the awesome lum on the dial visible easily through the non-reflective sapphire, and while it's not tritrium....and notice the second time-zone indicator.....and just look at how legible the dial design is....and, hey, wait, let me tell you about the strap....where are you going....wait....".
    I would agree the two are mutually exclusive, but I think the idea is that the watch is what drives everything else to happen...

Are we really about to get into a "you're no WIS" conversation here?...really? Because that would be like some sort of odd breakdance competition. ;)
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by neveronmonday View Post

For example....

I think you misunderstand. I don't pick a watch to match my outfit. I choose my attire based on the watch I'm going to wear.
    Current favorites:
    Squale Y1545 20 ATMOS Militaire (Original) Ser. No. 0001; Sturmanskie Open Space 24Hr Ser. No. 199/250; Glycine Airman 17; Seiko Prospex PADI SRPA21;
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20; Bathys Black Aquaculture; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS; + about 25 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Well, I do it more out of accident. I'm a student, so I don't dress up often. It just so happens that I'm a BIG fan of black leather with white stitching.. It also happens that all my shoes and belts and 95% of my watch straps are black with white stitching (excepting of course the bracelets and Bond NATO).
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information