Watch Dealer: 'If your budget is ?1K only buy quartz.'
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Watch Dealer: 'If your budget is ?1K only buy quartz.'

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Watch Dealer: 'If your budget is €1K only buy quartz.'

So I have decided to buy my first 'good' watch with a budget of €1,000. I chose the Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono (link below). The Hamilton dealer told me that I should expect the watch to gain in excess of 15 seconds/day. I had a problem with this. +8 seconds per day is all I can really accept given the outlay.

I then spoke to a different watch dealer that doesn't sell Hamiltons and he told me that I need to be spending €2.5K to be in the +8 second/day bracket and that If I have a budget of €1K I should be exclusively looking at quartz watches.

I value your opinions so I'd like to get some thoughts on this one please? Should I just be looking at quartz watches given my budget?

H32616533 | Hamilton Watch

Inactive

Re: Watch Dealer: 'If your budget is €1K only buy quartz.'

Expect to hear the name Seiko a lot in this thread.

And Stowa?
    Henry Krinkle likes this.

Nothing is perfect, and the salesman could be wrong. You are, however, at the low priced end for auto chronos, though Hamilton is a respected watch at a good price. A comparable Stowa would run you 2,300 ~ $2,700 USD from Stowa.

But if you like that watch for your budget, then buy it. If you are concerned about the timing, determine the watch's accuracy and if you are not happy with it then spend the $10 - $50 or so to take it to a watch smith and have it adjusted. It would be helpful for the watch smith if you state how many seconds +/-/day to adjust.
    Last edited by Gary123; January 7th, 2014 at 21:45.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds to me like a sales tactic by the dealer to get you to up your budget.
    chuasam, ShaggyDog and bluloo like this.
    Rolex Submariner, Tag Heuer Monaco, Mido Multifort, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern MkII, Seiko Mini Turtle

Ridiculous. There are plenty of perfectly good (even Swiss) mechanical watches well below €1,000, including plenty of Hamiltons. That was terrible salesmanship.
    bluloo and rfortson like this.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

The watch dealer should have said "be prepared" rather than "expect". He probably told you to expect a 15s per day variance since the timekeeping of a watch is not guaranteed only that it will be within certain limits. I'm not sure what Hamilton's specs are for that movement. If you got the watch and the timekeeping wasn't to your liking you could probably have it regulated to improve matters. Unless you went for chronometer standard there is no guarantee that paying more for a watch would bring increased accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by dkenned View Post

I then spoke to a different watch dealer that doesn't sell Hamiltons and he told me that I need to be spending €2.5K to be in the +8 second/day bracket and that If I have a budget of €1K I should be exclusively looking at quartz watches.

I value your opinions so I'd like to get some thoughts on this one please? Should I just be looking at quartz watches given my budget?

H32616533 | Hamilton Watch
    I am yet to hear a word from a sales person that makes sense.
    Plenty of good auto watches below 1K. And it is almost irrelevant to accuracy, it all depends how regulated the watch is, one of my Hamiltons for example is doing just +2 sec/day and costs far less than 1000euros.
    Streetboss and rfortson like this.

Nonsense. You can get loads of good watches for this kind of money. Tissot, Certina, Seiko SARB, OrientStar, Citizen Grand Classic, all Steinharts etc. All the nonsense about accuracy is irrelevant because when you go into the mechanical territory, you have to ACCEPT the inaccuracy from the start and not be disappointed later. So, if you don't mind they are inaccurate by nature, go for it. They are great machines. But if you're all about accuracy, go for quartz.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

Quote Originally Posted by dkenned View Post
    the +8 second/day bracket and that If I have a budget of €1K I should be exclusively looking at quartz watches.
    I think the salesman has a partially valid point. If accuracy is that important, you should get a quartz. However, spending significantly more on a mechanical watch is not necessarily going to get you a more accurate watch. You might find a $100 automatic to be more accurate than a $10,000 one. But even a cheap quartz will be more accurate than both.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amfangreisemann View Post
    Expect to hear the name Seiko a lot in this thread.

And Stowa?
    So along those lines, you might want to consider a Grand Seiko Quartz. It is within you budget and is extremely accurate.

Alternatively, you could get a Casio Waveceptor for around $50.
    Der Amf likes this.

I have a vintage swiss Cornavin that i bought for 37$ on Ebay, after my watchmaker serviced and adjusted the watch he looked at the machine that tells how much time watch gains/loses and told me watch will gain around 8-9 seconds a day and its a 50 years old watch. So yeah, its mostly about adjusting the watch.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information