Watch Defenders/Protectors

Thread: Watch Defenders/Protectors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watch Defenders/Protectors

In the spirit of the Watch Destroyer thread, I am curious to see what people use or do to defend/protect their watches apart from putting them in a watch box.

One that I find the most useful is a wrist/gel pad for my keyboard (see below) . It keeps my bracelet or strap buckle from rubbing agains my desk when I type. Do you guys have anything that you do our use with the intention of sparing your watch from annoying scratches? (If this is a repetitive post - I apologize - I just especially wanted to share the gel pad idea)

Last edited by Hall; November 12th, 2009 at 16:16.

Re: Watch Defenders/Protectors

If I am wearing the Speedy bracelet, the clasp scratches very easily, I am careful and hold my wrist up, or pull the keyboard out so it is just hanging there. So nothing is used to protect it, unless you consider the air and space. If we count those, then air and space it is. Any aftermarket strap, I don't care of it gets scratched up. They are cheap and easy to replace.

The gel is a good idea though, may have to get one. Would probably be easier than doing what I do.

beshannon

Nothing

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I pay attention to where my wrist is swinging when I go through a tight spot. I usually just keep my hand either in front or behind me.

I have a piece of foam rubber in a desk drawer; before I engage in an activity that may damage my watch, e.g., moving a desk through a narrow doorway, the watch comes off and sits safe and sound on the foam rubber in the desk drawer!

A long time ago, I saw watches that had a polyethylene "cage" in which you could encase your watch; it kept the watch crystal and bezel from banging into a lot of stuff. These protectors looked kind of cheesy, but they had some utility.

I've often wondered about having some kind of clear plastic "overcase" available for fine watches that would snap over the top of the watch and protect it.

That said, if more watches had sapphire crystals and tungsten bezels, there would be a whole lot less watch scratching and dinging going on!

The best protection for a watch is to be aware of the surroundings and not wear it when there is a good chance of damage. I can't imagine wearing a hideous looking plastic cover.

I duct tape a pillow around my wrist whenever I'm doing anything that may damage my timepiece. It looks silly and is impractical, but hey, I don't want my new watch all dinged up.

I keep my watches in a safe, where nothing bad can happen to them....

Really, other than common sense (e.g., don't wear that expensive watch when working under your car; yes, sapphire does scratch), the only way not to put your watch at risk is not to wear it, which seems kind of pointless.

Sure, when you wear it, it'll show it after a while. What's wrong with that? It's kind of like those people who park their fancy cars across four spaces, to avoid any chance that someone will give them a door-ding; if you can't afford (either financially or emotionally) to deal with the inevitable consequences of wearing a watch, don't.
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

I have a few polish cloths on my desk that I put stuff I'm looking at on, and I removed the metal slide-out keyboard tray from my desk =P

My watch protectors come in .45ACP, 9mm, 40cal, and 357 magnum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information