Watch dilemma
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Watch dilemma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rag

Confused Watch dilemma

So I am ready to buy the seiko alpinist that I've been looking at for about 2 months now, but I am going to be in switzerland for winter break. So I'm not sure if I should keep the $500 or so from the alpinist (extra strap) and have that extra $ for a watch in switzerland or just buy the alpinist now. What do you guys think?

Re: Watch dilemma

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that you'll find watches are any cheaper in Switzerland than they are outside of the country, even if they're made there. You might want to keep your watch purchases domestic and just enjoy the sights in Switzerland.

I dont get it. Whatvdoes you wanting an alpinist have to do with going to Switzerland? Are you asking if you should save the money so you have more spending cash on vacation or you would buy a Swiss watch when youre there? If you want the seiko then then buy it.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by gagnello; October 19th, 2013 at 23:40.
    ncmoto likes this.
    Swiss: ​Omega Speedmaster Professional (3573.50), Rolex Air King (114200), Rolex Submariner ND (114060)
    Russian: Vostok Amphibian
    German: Nomos Club Automat, Nomos Tangente Datum
    Japanese: Grand Seiko (SBGR051), Seiko Presage Urushi (SARW013), Seiko Orange Monster

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Go ahead and get the Alpinist if you want it. I live in Switzerland and can tell you that you're very unlikely to find any great deals here. Sad but true. There is a very poor secondary market (they want to push the new stuff afterall) and the new stuff is mostly full retail. Sure, there are some dealers that sell at slightly more competitive prices, but nothing close to as good as what you'll get in other parts of the world.

I think you should just buy the watch that you want, and you won't find anything in Switzerland, or anywhere else for that matter, that looks quite like the Alpinist.

Agree, the prices in Switzerland will not offer you any great deals.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Buy the watch... you know you want to.
    Last edited by DaveTOG; October 20th, 2013 at 03:50.
    geoffbot likes this.
    Time is relative.

I'd say, mostly because I presume you are a student given the "winter break" comment, that you should hang on to your $500. The reason is that Switzerland isn't cheap and your $500 may well bring you far more enjoyment there in Switzerland than any watch will. If you still have the cash after the trip, fine buy whatever you want. Also, you may discover some micro-branded watch there in Switzerland that you'd have a hard time buying outside that country. That Seiko isn't going to just up and disappear seeing as they are available on eBay, Amazon and other places as well.

I would say the same thing with regard to just about any watch, unless of course it's something that if you don't buy it now, it won't be around later.

As for your having wanted the Alpinist for two months...well, that's not a very long time. There's a watch I learned of just about two months ago, and I know I'll buy it, but I'm waiting until next Summer to get it. It's a limited edition watch too boot, but if one isn't available when I'm ready to buy, there'll be something else I like just as well. There's no shortage of watches in the world that I like a lot and I know damn well there's no way I'm going to be able to buy every one of them. Waiting, and even waiting and missing the boat, won't be the end of the world.

All the best and enjoy your trip.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Rag

The $500 would go towards my watch budget.

I am not sure where you live, but if you are American, watches will be more expensive in Switzerland than in the US. Besides, the Alpinist is a fairly unique kind of watch. If you like it, its unlikely will find anything else to scratch that itch.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information