Watch face (screen) protector?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Watch face (screen) protector?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Watch face (screen) protector?

I just purchased an Orient Symphony (should be here the 30th!) and I am anal about keeping what I care about in pristine condition. Car's always waxed, phone goes straight into a case after purchase, you get the picture.

I know it isn't a $10k Rolex, but to keep the screen in flawless shape has anyone considered watch face protectors, like what people use on cell phone screens?
    Watch crystal face protector from mytuffstuff.com - YouTube
    Amazon.com: 6 Watch Crystal Face Protectors 28mm: Everything Else

Something like that. I'd only be worried about a tacky reflection. I figured if it works great protecting my phone and is basically invisible, why not use the same technology on my watch?

Discuss.

Re: Watch face (screen) protector?

Most people who are concerned about scratches on their watch crystals will choose to buy a watch with a sapphire crystal. Alternatively, on a watch with a flat mineral glass crystal, it's relatively cheap to replace it should it develop any significant scratches. Indeed, I've been able to perform a crystal swap myself, it just requires a crystal press, case remover, screwdriver, and a digital caliper.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I don't see why a phone screen protector shouldn't do the job. The only drawback that I can see is that the Tuffstuff is supplied in little discs whereas you would need to cut a screen protector to size.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi...Welcome.
    Your watch has a face with a glass crystal.....Not a plastic screen....You don't need those screen protectors.
    If plastic, maybe but not glass.....Good luck.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

watch screen protectors - are a watch heresy!
    get the sapphire crystal watch, that will do the job better than anything you can stick on your watch...
    in fact stainless steel case, should be more of a concern to you, rather than the watch glass, because it scratches much more easily than a sapphire:)

See - this is what I don't like about smartwatches - they will make people start treating watches like their cell phones. What's next? A silicone case to protect the metal? :)

Jokes aside, I think this is unnecessary. If people are concerned about scratching the crystal, they should get either a sapphire crystal watch or a plexi crystal that they can polish if it scratches. This kind of thing takes more away from the watch than it adds.

Quote Originally Posted by alx007 View Post
    What's next? A silicone case to protect the metal? :)
    Already happening, I actually saw someone wearing a Panerai with the silicone case once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoloz View Post
    watch screen protectors - are a watch heresy!
    get the sapphire crystal watch, that will do the job better than anything you can stick on your watch...
    in fact stainless steel case, should be more of a concern to you, rather than the watch glass, because it scratches much more easily than a sapphire:)
    Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Plus that watch is more or less a dress watch so it shouldn't be an issue keeping it scratch free, it isn't like mineral glass is super soft. I have a couple of beaters that have seen HARD use and although the mineral glass isn't pristine they have seen some VERY hard knocks. I have watches with plexi/hesalite crystals which are worn but have not seen hard use and they at a glance are pristine though upon examination they do have scratches but they can be polished out.

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    Already happening, I actually saw someone wearing a Panerai with the silicone case once.
    picture pls

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    picture pls
    Wasn't in a position to take a photo but it was in a train during rush hour, perhaps he didnt want anyone bumping onto his watch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information