Watch Features: Take it or leave it
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Watch Features: Take it or leave it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Watch Features: Take it or leave it

What features are "must have" or "non-factors" for you? I know there's only one feature -- lume -- that I pretty consistently don't care about at all. Conversely, aesthetics always matter to me. All the rest fall somewhere between those two extremes.

When one buys dive and military type watches one pretty well expects high performing lume. Of course, there are many watches that have the look and label of "dive watch," for example, but that aren't really meant to serve in a professional capacity as such. And, of course there are plenty of watches that are dress watches that make no effort at all to be visible without light. Mostly, I don't care too much if my watches glow well or not. About the only time it matters -- because there is no light source -- to me is when I go backpacking. Even then, it' snot that big a concern for if I'm waking at night, I'll have a headlamp on anyway, but sleeping in the tent in the cold, I may not be too keen on sticking my arm/head outside my sleeping bag. So for me, lume is one of those features that's squarely in the "take it or leave it category.

In contrast, attention to detail in execution, ergonomics and aesthetics matter a lot to me. Regardless of the price point, I'm pretty picky that way.
    As for the movement factor, sometimes I care and sometimes I don't, especially if I don't have any concern that whatever guts are there will work without too much "babying" from me as goes just wearing the watch in the course of typical, non-athletic activities. One the matter of those intangible qualities, pedigree and the like, I more often than not consider them a bonus rather than a "must have" attribute. Once in a while, I give a damn, and on those occasions, I will choose a storied pedigree piece over one that was "born yesterday."

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: Watch Features: Take it or leave it

All aesthetics for me, loving plain & basic time only pieces, preferably manual wind thank you. Don't even like a date function. I know I would have spent much more than I have so far if any complication(s) were of any interest so very, very glad for my simplistic desires. Even movements don't move me (no pun) as much as the frontside of a watch. Case in point is the debate/opinions on the new Nomos pieces. Lovely, lovely movement but I wouldn't have the piece because the dial side underwhelms my likes (and that wouldn't change even if the price was reduced substantially).
    tony20009 likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Depends on the use of the watch. When I was looking at getting my first "luxury-priced" watch, I had a few features that were a must for a long-term daily wearer. Having fantasized about owning one for a couple years, I was already heavily biased towards the Ulysse Nardin MMD, which just so happened to be pretty much perfect for what I was wanting.

Things like-
    Strap either tough leather or rubber or a metal bracelet. I would likely destroy a fancy dress watch leather strap. I didn't want to have to worry about taking the watch off in a rainstorm etc. Rubber straps are especially appealing to me because they're lighter, and bracelets can be a bit "fatiguing", if you will.

300m+ Water resistance is not such a huge deal for me, as most any watch made today will have at least a few meters resistance. The UN is resistant up to 300m which is cool, but not that interesting to me.

Date feature. I like to have a date on most of my watches, and especially on a daily wear.

This one has a power reserve, which was not a must-have for a daily wear automatic, so I can take or leave that. It would be a must for a less-worn or manually wound watch. I do think it looks nice on the dial fwiw, so no problems there.

Good lume. Again, for a general purpose daily wear, its nice to have good lume, which the UN has in spades. A couple of my other favorite watches have no/poor lume, and its not that big of a deal, but its heavily preferred.

Casual but "nice" aesthetic. I tend to be drawn most to more classic or dressy styles, but I knew if I bought one it wouldn't get worn much. I don't like super tooly watches either, so it had to occupy that middle space of a "dress diver" or "sport" watch. Other styles I liked were IWC ingenieur, Hublot classic fusion (I know, rabble rabble pitchforks), AP RO etc.

As for the movement, at my price range (I got the UN preowned) I wasn't looking for in-house for the sake of in-house, so a reliable and accurate top shelf ETA-based movement was not a turn-off for me.

I'm with you on attention to detail and finishing. I'd always heard UN does outstanding work in that department, and I think that should be expected at a certain price point. IMO when you pay good money for something, you're granted the right to be very picky about perfection.

And here is a pic of the watch 'cause I can't resist posting it everywhere

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Aesthetics mainly for me, I avoid day complications completely and I try to avoid the date window or prefer it to be at the 6'clock position. I am fine with tri-compax and love the bi-compax layout on chronographs but will never consider a piece with the 7750 layout. I do consider pedigree somewhat important if I am purchasing above a certain price point.

I like my watches to be water resistant so they can at least survive an unplanned rain storm. Other than that they need to be larger than 40mm, have a sapphire crystal, a decorated movement if the case back is clear, a standard strap attachment so I can swap straps or bracelets and lately, a GMT complication. How a watch looks is more important than the features. Also, very bored of the 7750 so I don't want any more watches with that movement if it can be helped.
    tatooist77 likes this.

For me, generally, lume is critical. I will not travel with anything other than GTLS lume.

Of course, aesthetics are important, but the history of the company is interesting to me also.

Aesthetics, backed by a decent movement are the main for me. The only essential features are hour & minute hands with at least hour indices. Decent water resistance & lume are appreciated. Anything else is gravy.

I dislike integrated bracelets or some attachment that prevents band replacement should the need arise. I don't care for power reserve indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkingTime View Post
    I like my watches to be water resistant so they can at least survive an unplanned rain storm. Other than that they need to be larger than 40mm, have a sapphire crystal, a decorated movement if the case back is clear, a standard strap attachment so I can swap straps or bracelets and lately, a GMT complication. How a watch looks is more important than the features. Also, very bored of the 7750 so I don't want any more watches with that movement if it can be helped.
    I like this words, "How a watch looks is more important than the features."
    tony20009 likes this.

I would echo the sentiments so far on this thread.
    The aesthetics are critical but backed up by an in-house movement for me.

In general I'm happy as long as the watch ain't all too scared of water. Once watch is in use it stays there until I feel like it's time to use another watch, which includes showers and the occasionally sauna. The only exception I'm willing to make this for is an older watch or a watch meant for special occasions.

Otherwise it's more about the looks and general quality of the watch.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information