Which watch to get my younger brother for his High school grad?
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which watch to get my younger brother for his High school grad?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Which watch to get my younger brother for his High school grad?

Hey guys!
    Hope you are all well.
    As a guy that has become border line obsessed about watches, I would love to get my younger brother a watch for his graduation, which he will always wear and enjoy.
    It will have a ton of sentimental value for him as it came from his elder brother, and I will love knowing he is always going to wear a watch I have got him.

I initially thought of a Rolex Explorer. Timeless, classic, and just beautiful. My mother told me I was out of my mind for wanting to get my 18 year old brother a Rolex, but more importantly if I did, he would most likely keep it at home and only wear it when he is back from Uni for summer/winter/christmas breaks, etc.

I figured I will hunt for a watch that he can take with him to uni, and enjoy without having to worry about being mugged, etc.
    I am now hunting for a low key, under the radar watch.

I have a few suggestions which I will post, and I am really open to all your suggestions. I want it to be a watch that will last a life time, and one that he can enjoy today, and in 10 years time, an iconic and timeless look.

The Omega Speed Master numbered edition is at the top of my list.
    Then comes the Aqua Terra.
    And then the Tudor.

Appreciate any input guys! Thanks in advance.

Name:  Ocab-20130528-163054-12001.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  394.6 KBName:  s7axlpu.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  202.4 KBName:  Tudor-Black-Bay-Black-Wrist.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  332.1 KB
    E8ArmyDiver and lightspire like this.

Re: Which watch to get my younger brother for his High school grad?

Wow... all three great choices.
    He's young, heading off to college and could use something durable but flying under the radar... how about a Sinn?
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

If your brother is anything like I was in college, a manual winder with hesalite crystal and limited WR would not be a good fit. I'm pretty sure I would have destroyed it within a year. I'd vote for the AT, but as a young man headed to college, I suspect your brother would prefer the Tudor or something equally as sporty.
    Its-an-addiction likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Get him a Seiko SKX007.
    It is a watch with a nice automatic movement, great styling, and it is tough as nails.
    Save the Omega watches and so forth for when he actually graduates with a nice degree.
    I am currently in College myself and I would NEVER bring a watch costing over $1000 to my College campus.
    Current Collection

| Rolex Date | Hamilton Khaki Mechanical | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Seiko 5 SNK809 | NTH Scorpène | Melbourne Portsea | Halios Seaforth Series III |

Instagram: @confusedwristwatches

I think the Tudor will make a good choice for college. With its built quality.

Quote Originally Posted by doggbiter View Post
    Wow... all three great choices.
    He's young, heading off to college and could use something durable but flying under the radar... how about a Sinn?
    Also a very good option. Thank you! Will look more into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    If your brother is anything like I was in college, a manual winder with hesalite crystal and limited WR would not be a good fit. I'm pretty sure I would have destroyed it within a year. I'd vote for the AT, but as a young man headed to college, I suspect your brother would prefer the Tudor or something equally as sporty.
    I will take him finally to see if he likes the watch before buying it, I do want to make the choice before I show it to him though.
    Thank for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedOne View Post
    Get him a Seiko SKX007.
    It is a watch with a nice automatic movement, great styling, and it is tough as nails.
    Save the Omega watches and so forth for when he actually graduates with a nice degree.
    I am currently in College myself and I would NEVER bring a watch costing over $1000 to my College campus.
    That does make sense actually.
    I guess there is a lot happening in a uni Campus it would be best to get him something he would never have to worry about.
    Tough as nails is definitely a must.

Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming.

for a high school graduate, i think a Tag would be a better fit.
    Robbyb03 likes this.

All three seem over-nice and over-expensive for someone heading off to college. However, of the three I'd recommend the Tudor: solid sporty look, relatively unpretentious, least likely to get stolen, worth the least if something does happen to it.

I went to a fairly uppity university, and even there the few kids who tried to pull off a Rolex were mostly just perceived as arrogant and spoiled. If the people around you don't come from the same privileged background, it's perceived as bragging; if they do, it's perceived as trying too hard to fit in.

I second the 007, price is right and it will easily take the abuse it's sure to see. I wore a $50 Fossil for most of college and by the time I graduated it was so beat up it looked like I wore it I Iraq for four years, not Wisconsin lol

Just get something cheap with good WR and a screw down crown. Sapphire crystal would be nice if you want to really class it up and extend the life a bit

I think there's nothing wrong with someone at that age wearing a watch like the one's OP listed.

Having said that, I don't think they are a great fit for college living for a number of reasons. A better fit, in my opinion of course, is something that's durable and wouldn't be the end of the world if it was lost/broken.

Take a look at the Hamilton Khaki. An awesome watch, great for any occasion and can take a beating.
    Last edited by fishoop; December 29th, 2015 at 01:40.
    ConfusedOne likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information