Watch Glare

Thread: Watch Glare

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Watch Glare

This seems like a stupid question, but what are forums for??

I've just started to get interested in watches, and purchased a beautiful hamilton jazzmaster with a black dial and love the styling. However, i returned it after a week because I couldn't get past the glare. Home or work setting, I was just looking into a mirror instead of into the face.

Am I crazy here??

Is it the black dial and the contrast that is causing this issue? I know some watch makers apply anti glare, but lots don't.

Do other people have this problem or it there something about the Hamilton Crystal?

Re: Watch Glare

I had the same problem with a Hamilton Khaki field auto. It was very accurate, had a very smooth movement but the glare was so distracting that we parted company. Mine had a polished bezel, black dial, no anti reflective coating and a domed crystal, all of which probably contributed to the problem. I think Hamilton makes a great watch but I would be reluctant to buy another one based on my experience.

interesting, because thats one main reason i dont like my hamilton Khaki either.
    my observation is that the hamilton crystal surface isnt polished as finely and evenly. you can sort of
    see the lapping/polishing pattern on it.
    i have a Seiko SKX with a flat crystal and i expected it to be even worse. but to my suprise its quite glare free.
    Do these Seikos have AR coating on their crystal?

so to answer your first question: no you are not crazy :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm been trying to talk myself into the khaki field officer auto which I absolutely love, but I'm certainly worried about the same issue.

I've never heard / seen that on my watches,although not Hams., except angled to a bright light.
    Have a look for another make

Its not just Hamilton. Rolex don't use AR either on their crystals ( not incl. cyclops) so you may find them intolerable & one to avoid too.

Personally I like AR on the underside only.

Some brands have AR on both sides which is very effective but the exterior may get scratch marks which is deemed to be acceptable normal wear & tear.

I think the Seiko SKX series is hardlex (not sapphire), which although is softer, reflects less.
    Although curved crystals reflect light from all directions, they disperse it rather than reflect it at a uniform direction (which flat crystals do) thus reducing glare.

Regardless of the presence of AR, it seems not all curved crystals are created equal in reducing reflections. I don't understand this fully yet.
    One factor to consider is whether single-domed or double domed sapphire crystals produce more glare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovalteenie View Post
    Personally I like AR on the underside only.

Some brands have AR on both sides which is very effective but the exterior may get scratch marks which is deemed to be acceptable normal wear & tear.
    My only watch with double AR is my Fortis and yes it's a magnet for smears and fingerprints but it's so effective i found it increases the enjoyment of wearing the watch enough to make it worthwhile. I always carry a cloth in my pocket for crystal wiping . And if it scratches or deteriorates over time it can easily be removed. So far it's been almost a year and it's unmarked.

BTW i also sold my Hamilton Khaki Field auto primarily for the same reason. It's one of the few criticisms i have of the watch.

Since I have a few people here that had to discard their Khaki Fields, is there some other models with similar styling that you picked up instead?

I've been looking at some Oris, Fortis, and Mido watches but haven't found a watch with a good looking numbered font, thin bezel, and uncluttered dial with a touch of color.
    Best I've found is an LE Oris Chrono
    Name:  676.7603.4084.LS.jpg
Views: 4406
Size:  59.6 KB

Never knew some of the Hamilton's had some really bad watch glare as I am interested in the Khaki/King model on SS, but I think I can solve that problem by just getting the crystals double AR'ed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information