Watch Industry ! what about it
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Watch Industry ! what about it

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Off Topic post Watch Industry ! what about it

Hi to all mechanical watches enthusiasts, i am trying to understand the current state of the watches industry and rising trends related to mechanical watches production. as we can see, the world is going trough an economic recession and it seems that the powers / monopoloy of the economy is changing. plus the world is becoming more aware about the impact of human industrialization on the geosphere, biosphere and atmosphere so changes in the production methods and materials are being thought about and being implemented. also we can see that people of the middle class and lower classes are getting upset for not being able to afford luxury stuff while certain people who belong to a higher class can afford very expensive products, thus economic reforms are being thought about.
    All of the above can affect the Watchmaking industry, like what materials will be used for watch manufacturing so we reduce harming our earth while also reducing people exploitation in the retrieving of such materials while making Luxury watches more accessible to a higher range of people.
    So we have 4 factors that i can think of right now :

- Economic recession
    - Shifting of monoplies
    - More sensible environment and biosphere
    - People upset about inequality

what do you think about the things said above, and what are your visions about the watchmaking industry now and in the future.
    sorry for my english (not a native speaker)

Re: Watch Industry ! what about it

When we can ask our phones what time it is and they will tell us even the notion of looking at your phone is starting to become somewhat outdated let alone carrying round a little device on your wrist to tell the time. I think it’s fair to say that we tend to buy watches with our hearts rather than our brains (even those who aren’t watch nuts) so trying to apply any form of logic to the state of the watch industry is fraught with danger.
    Bilelartworks, rfortson and 41Mets like this.

Google is your friend.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    When we can ask our phones what time it is and they will tell us even the notion of looking at your phone is starting to become somewhat outdated let alone carrying round a little device on your wrist to tell the time. I think it’s fair to say that we tend to buy watches with our hearts rather than our brains (even those who aren’t watch nuts) so trying to apply any form of logic to the state of the watch industry is fraught with danger.
    does that say that mechanical watches have no future ?

that was helpful ... lol , i posted this on watchuseek because its a more convenient place to talk about watches etc..
    rfortson and 41Mets like this.

If anybody truly cared about the environment, there would be mass protests in the street to better synchronize traffic patterns. Stoping at red lights kills your vehicles efficiency (distance traveled divided by engine rotations) and contributes massively to air pollution, energy consumption, etc.

That, and people would stop drinking out of disposable plastic water bottles...

Quote Originally Posted by Bilelartworks View Post
    does that say that mechanical watches have no future ?
    Oh no! Logically they should have no future but logic and watches are rarely seen together.
    fish70 and Bilelartworks like this.

My Crystal Ball is out for calibration again and the other one, the Black one, keeps coming back with, "ask again later".
    Bilelartworks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilelartworks View Post
    and what are your visions about the watchmaking industry now and in the future.
    It will be alright. I still see myself, as consumer, will keep the industry alive by keep buying watches for years to come. Things like environmental protection, nature preservation, eco friendly goods, etc....does sound great. I do think it’s great, we gotta start at some point. But I dare to bet my watch collection, the majority of the people don’t really care, myself included. Well...as long as making watches doesn’t involve human sacrifice....
    slcbbrown and Bilelartworks like this.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

The world isn't going through an economic recession. That's a prediction made for 2020 which could happen... or not. Call me paranoid but I think there are some forces really eager for that to happen to make some cash.

As for this topic, I dislike these debates because there are always a few that state that only the watches between €100-€1000 are in danger which I hugely disagree with.

I think mechanical watches will be around for the same reason they are around now in all price ranges. I grew up at a time that people already said traditional watches were useless because of cell phones, yet 15 years later every big mall still have watches on sale.

They might not be as mainstream as they once where but they'll always itch some people and depending on the willingness to spend in this era of budget diversification, people might buy cheap, average or expensive watches.

What I think also is that there might be more merges or adquisitions such as The Swatch Group performed or Citizen by buying Bulova and Frederique Constant, and such.
    Last edited by c185445; June 8th, 2019 at 21:05.
    ~Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba H823350
    ~Junghans Max Bill Handaufzug 027/3701.00
    ~Casio GW-M5610
    ~& Remontoir Cylindre 10 Rubis Pocket Watch ca. 1880-1933

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information