Watch instead of class ring ... engr. question.

Thread: Watch instead of class ring ... engr. question.

Question Watch instead of class ring ... engr. question.

I'm graduating with my MS finally after 6 long years of doing it part time, with long breaks for having kids etc.() ... and I wanted to get a watch instead of a class ring since I don't wear jewelry besides my wedding band.

Now saying that, I don't have a lot of money, and most likely will get Christopher Ward C90 Beckett's - Power Reserve C90SWK, which I am after for a little while, just really like that watch ...

... would it be bad\weird\cheesy to engrave the back?

Here's how it looks like
    Name:  beckettsWHITE.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  24.9 KBName:  becketts2_1.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  14.1 KB

Re: Watch instead of class ring ... engr. question.

The back is a saphire crystal....where are you going to engrave ?

They offer engraving from factory ... I'm not sure how they do it, but it's either around the caseback on the SS part, or there is an insert somewhere on the movement just as below picture (it's also Christopher Ward Watch) - It said on the website it depends on a movement and case back, but doesn't go into any detail.

Name:  IMG_3871 (640x427).jpg
Views: 414
Size:  201.6 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That example looks cool. That would be a nice way to celebrate your accomplishments...and by the way....a Big Congratulations to you.

Congratulations, firstly and foremost. Stock answer, as I'm certain you're expecting, if an engraving means something and is significant for you, then go for it. With that said, personally, I love the idea of an engraved watch as opposed to a ring. I think showing it off will reinforce your accomplishment, and that the watch will become far more meaningful to you in kind.

If you do go that route, please be sure to share some pics!

Dan
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

I don't think it is cheesy, and in the case of a Christopher Ward I think it is almost appropriate. It is not such an expensive watch that it could be considered collateral in a worse case scenario, and it is not as cliche as say... a Rolex. If you were doing something gaudy like a gold coin dial featuring the school's seal...then I'd cry foul. They may add it to the rotor in the case of an auto. Good Luck and post pics when you can! I am sure we will all be interested. BTW, nice selection in the C90.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I didn't even think about the rotor - even more now I think it will look good. I just wanted to make sure people don't think it's "gaudy" or weird to put engraving on this type of watch. Not that I wouldn't do it anyways, but general opinion would probably affect how I post pictures of that watch ;)

I definitely will post pictures, just have to wait till May :)
    Hi, I'm Infected - a.k.a. Dawid

v76

Congratulations on both the graduation and the watch. I suppose it shouldn't be a problem for CW to do it if you put in a request ... else, get it done by a local jeweler?
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

First off congratulations on the MS! I think your idea of getting a graduation watch is great and CW watch is one that will be in style for years to come. Engraving the rotor will make it a bit more special than case engraving imho.

I graduated many years ago sans class ring and don't miss it at all. My sense is that class rings are not as popular as they once were in the immediate post WWII period.
    Last edited by John MS; February 3rd, 2012 at 18:53.

Thread Information