This is probably a strange one. Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong spot as I'm new.
My SO and I have recently been discussing marriage. He asked me what kind of ring I might be into and honestly…….I'm just not. I don't like diamonds as they're just not me and they seem like a waste of money So…I'm thinking about suggesting a watch instead. I wear a watch every day and I've always wanted a nice one for every day. I know I'd love it every day and never regret not getting a ring. I'm just starting to think about what I might like to suggest (or leave photos of lying on the coffee table!) and I'd be very grateful for some suggestions about what to check out.
A bit about me in case it helps. I'm an early 30s female. I'm a lawyer and work in a large firm but in a very low-key type of law. I wear a suit to Court but my workplace is generally "business casual". Outside of work I mostly wear jeans and Converse. I'm feminine but not girly - I wear makeup, paint my nails etc but that's about it. Most importantly, I have always worn very little jewellery - silver studs and a watch. I like mens watches generally. I have a vintage Omega Seamaster (50s vintage) on a leather band which I inherited from my great Uncle and had restored as my 30th gift to myself, however I mostly wear this in the evening as I consider it as more of a dress watch. During the day I've been wearing the same boyfriend-style Fossil for the last 5 years . A watch obviously makes more sense than a ring!
Parameters are as follows:
- Budget no more than AUD$10,000 (probably about USD$7,000 on the current exchange rate)
- No quartz
- Stainless steel - no gold, no two-tone
- Bracelet - no leather
- No diamonds except MAYBE as markers
- Wrists are a scant 6 inches. I like a good size dial and think the size that suits best is 34 - 36mm. I'm not really interested in ladies watches or smaller than 34mm. I'll consider up to 39mm but the lugs start to overhang at this size and I don't think it looks that good.
- I like a masculine look and tend to favour a plain face (not big on complications) but I would really like a date feature.
- As I am basically a one watch girl and this would be a VERY special one (which may not be added to until he gives me the next one for our ten year anniversary ) I'd like a watch that I could wear every day and that would go with everything - suit, jeans and a dress for evenings. I would also need it to stand the test of time, not date and operate well year in / year out.
I've already ruled out the Omega Aqua Terra (too thick / bulky / sporty) and the Omega De Ville Prestige (other end of the spectrum - bit too old / vintage / dressy). I've also tried the Cartier Ballon Bleu 36mm which I really liked (to my surprise) but I'm not sure about it for the price (AUD$8000) as I've read that the movement is not as good as, say, the Omegas. Next one I'll try is a Rolex Datejust.
I was just wondering if anyone might have any other suggestions for watches that I should seek out to try on or investigate? I'm in Australia so any of the more niche brands may be hard to find.
Thanks for you time.