Watch instead of engagement ring? I need your suggestions
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Watch instead of engagement ring? I need your suggestions

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Watch instead of engagement ring? I need your suggestions

Hi All,

This is probably a strange one. Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong spot as I'm new.

My SO and I have recently been discussing marriage. He asked me what kind of ring I might be into and honestly…….I'm just not. I don't like diamonds as they're just not me and they seem like a waste of money So…I'm thinking about suggesting a watch instead. I wear a watch every day and I've always wanted a nice one for every day. I know I'd love it every day and never regret not getting a ring. I'm just starting to think about what I might like to suggest (or leave photos of lying on the coffee table!) and I'd be very grateful for some suggestions about what to check out.

A bit about me in case it helps. I'm an early 30s female. I'm a lawyer and work in a large firm but in a very low-key type of law. I wear a suit to Court but my workplace is generally "business casual". Outside of work I mostly wear jeans and Converse. I'm feminine but not girly - I wear makeup, paint my nails etc but that's about it. Most importantly, I have always worn very little jewellery - silver studs and a watch. I like mens watches generally. I have a vintage Omega Seamaster (50s vintage) on a leather band which I inherited from my great Uncle and had restored as my 30th gift to myself, however I mostly wear this in the evening as I consider it as more of a dress watch. During the day I've been wearing the same boyfriend-style Fossil for the last 5 years . A watch obviously makes more sense than a ring!

Parameters are as follows:
    • Budget no more than AUD$10,000 (probably about USD$7,000 on the current exchange rate)
    • No quartz
    • Stainless steel - no gold, no two-tone
    • Bracelet - no leather
    • No diamonds except MAYBE as markers
    • Wrists are a scant 6 inches. I like a good size dial and think the size that suits best is 34 - 36mm. I'm not really interested in ladies watches or smaller than 34mm. I'll consider up to 39mm but the lugs start to overhang at this size and I don't think it looks that good.
    • I like a masculine look and tend to favour a plain face (not big on complications) but I would really like a date feature.
    • As I am basically a one watch girl and this would be a VERY special one (which may not be added to until he gives me the next one for our ten year anniversary ) I'd like a watch that I could wear every day and that would go with everything - suit, jeans and a dress for evenings. I would also need it to stand the test of time, not date and operate well year in / year out.

I've already ruled out the Omega Aqua Terra (too thick / bulky / sporty) and the Omega De Ville Prestige (other end of the spectrum - bit too old / vintage / dressy). I've also tried the Cartier Ballon Bleu 36mm which I really liked (to my surprise) but I'm not sure about it for the price (AUD$8000) as I've read that the movement is not as good as, say, the Omegas. Next one I'll try is a Rolex Datejust.

I was just wondering if anyone might have any other suggestions for watches that I should seek out to try on or investigate? I'm in Australia so any of the more niche brands may be hard to find.

Thanks for you time.
    Last edited by Sara 3124; July 20th, 2015 at 17:33. Reason: Typos
    KiwiWomble and Cannonball like this.

Re: Watch instead of engagement ring? I need your suggestions

Congrats!

Only new watches or are pre-owned also on the table?

I think the Datejust in a 34 or 36mm case size would be great for you.
    bbuckbbuck likes this.

You can't go wrong with the Cartier. You're going to want something timeless that will still look good when you are 70 and Cartier fits the bill. Another you might investigate is the soon to be released Slim d'Hermes, although it's a bit smaller at 32mm. Still, with a small bezel, it can look larger than other watches with bigger bezel and small dials.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Instagram: right_wrist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your responses!

Tigerpac - Yes I forgot to mention I would definitely consider vintage, although with my (our) limited expertise I would approach this very carefully. I'll hopefully try the Datejust this week.

Solomente - Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do some googling and check it out.

JLC makes some pretty nice pieces at around that price range. Check out their Master Ultra Thin line.
    Current collection by order of acquisition: Sinn U1, Sinn 856 UTC, Omega SMP Chrono, Nomos Metro, Rolex 114060, Hanhart Pioneer MK I, VC Overseas Chrono 49140

Looking for: Grand Seiko SBGA125, JLC Geophysic steel, Rolex Explorer II 16570 Polar

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

I would second JLC, you may wish to take a look at their Reverso line as well (both male and female) as they have quite a few nice pieces that should fit into your budget (some but not all of the ladies models use quartz).
    Glashütte Original Panograph • Breguet Marine Rolex Daytona 116520 Rolex Submariner 5513 NOMOS Zürich Weltzeit Omega Speedmaster '57 Broad Arrow re-edition Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue Lemania Chronograph (c. 1940s) Breitling Navitimer • Azimuth Mr. Roboto • Sinn 356 Fleiger II • Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chrono Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono • Casio G-Shock DW5600

If the watch will mean more to you than a ring then there is no reason why you shouldn't get one instead. These are a bit random, not necessarily ladies watches. I'll just stick to steel, 39mm or under and under (or close-ish to) $7k:
    Breguet Type XX - probably too big but a female almost-WIS in my office loves them
    Rolex Daytona - no doubt over budget but hey, you are passing on an engagement ring. My friend's wife wears his all the time
    Glashutte Original Lady Serenade - You might be able to find a steel bracelet, unworn for a decent price.
    Rolex Daytona white dial (116520)

Any wrist pics with the watches you currently own? Datejust sounds like your best bet. I wouldn't bother with anything else personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlance View Post
    Any wrist pics with the watches you currently own? Datejust sounds like your best bet. I wouldn't bother with anything else personally.

Except she said she'd prefer a larger watch and no diamonds except maybe on hour markers.
    bbuckbbuck likes this.
    Current collection by order of acquisition: Sinn U1, Sinn 856 UTC, Omega SMP Chrono, Nomos Metro, Rolex 114060, Hanhart Pioneer MK I, VC Overseas Chrono 49140

Looking for: Grand Seiko SBGA125, JLC Geophysic steel, Rolex Explorer II 16570 Polar

My recommendation as to the ring is to at least get a simple wedding band. You might not wear it most of the time, but it will probably come in useful at some point.

As for the watch, I believe that any of the current Zenith Elite ladies models will meet all your requirements. Here's one with Roman numerals and a moonphase, there are other versions with more or fewer complications, most of which will meet your budget. As for availability in Australia, it won't be as easy as Omega or Rolex, but there are sales point in Sydney, Victoria, Perth and Brisbane.

Try a chrono if you're really feeling daring. Zenith offers the best on the market at this price point.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information