Watch from Japan EMS "Held by Export Customs" in Japan
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By timefleas

Thread: Watch from Japan EMS "Held by Export Customs" in Japan

Watch from Japan EMS "Held by Export Customs" in Japan

Hi! I recently bought a Grand Seiko from Higuchi and tracking shows that it's still in Japan being "held by export customs" for slightly over 24 hours. I've no doubt about Higuchi's authencity so this question isn't about that at all. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had your watches held up in Japan's export customs, and if so, how long did it take to get moving again?

Re: Watch from Japan EMS "Held by Export Customs" in Japan

I’ve never had a watch held at customs like that but I’ve heard of it before now and things usually get moving again within a day or two.
    trameline likes this.

Thank you for replying. I hope it'll move along quickly. This is my first time spending a large sum online and I'm quite worried.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have you asked Higuchi? Probably experienced this before.

I bought two watches from Japan last year and none were held at Japan export customs. The same can't be said of Spain import customs. That's another story.

I send and receive watches via Japan EMS all the time. Held at export sometimes means making sure the paperwork is correctly filled out if the stated value is above Yen200,000 (about $1800) which I am guessing it is. For these, there is a second form that requires additional information, sometimes the customs folks will call back to the Japan post office from which it was sent, who then in turn contact the sender for more information. The last time I had this kind of thing happen, they wanted to know whether the watch was battery powered, hand wind or automatic, and they wanted to know the brand. Usually, on the regular EMS form, all you need to write is "used watch" and for automatics, "no battery". The only other thing they look at is straps made from crocs and gators--but this is usually just for incoming, not outgoing. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to contact the seller/sender simply because the watch has spent more than a day in customs--at most, it will be held up to 3 days, and sent on its way--sometimes the tracking won't catch up on that for an additional day or two. If it doesn't go anywhere for 4 or 5 days, then have the sender initiate a trace.
    lvt likes this.

24-72 hours hold up from Japan export customs is no need to worry. They may be authenticating the information from Higuchi or maybe even checking the serial number from Seiko to ensure that fakes are not being sent out of the country. Because Japan has pride in what they do (generally) and take exceptional pains to ensure that the quality and authenticity of products meets their high standards. Heck, if I was awaiting a liver transplant from Japan (doubtful, since the rate of alcoholism is so high there, but just a quick example), then a little delay from their authorities would make me feel better. Alright, that is a bad example.

As Jaco Pastorius would say, "Fret not."
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

lvt

Higuchi is a solid seller, he will sort it out.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Thread Information