Are watch likes/dislikes genetic?

Thread: Are watch likes/dislikes genetic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are watch likes/dislikes genetic?

I live 2500 miles from my younger brother (about 2.5 years difference). We are both in our 50s. I had to go back to his hometown earlier this year. I went to meet him for dinner -- I was wearing my PAM 311 that I had purchased less than a year prior. Upon greeting him in the restaurant I saw he was wearing a new PAM-- not a 311 though... He told me he recently purchased. I have always liked watches but had never really discussed with him. I had previously worn a Breitling Aerospace for the previous 8 years. I know he never really mentioned an interest in watches... but now it seems he also has some interest... I guess we share 25% of the same DNA...

Re: Are watch likes/dislikes genetic?

No.

Plus, you both grew up together. Hard to separate genetics from environment on this one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To respond to your subject (and, forgive me, if I'm not entirely sure if it was serious or tongue-in-cheek): My father and I have different taste in watches. My younger brother sits between me and my father in taste. My older brother has no interest but if I gave him a lineup he'd likely pick something that would put me between him and my younger brother.

We can almost certainly discount nature (genetics) in our design preference. On the other hand, I think there is a strong argument for nurture. I am almost sure that my father's watch (a gold rolex something-or-rather) is partly a reaction to what I will call the less than luxurious situation in which he grew up. I am slightly closer to my older brother in age and we shared parts of the late 80s and early 90s that my younger brother just missed. I think there is a profound influence on our later tastes stemming from the time and place and circumstance of our childhoods. Presumably, you and your brother grew up together and it doesn't much surprise that you would have similar preferences in some things.

Anyway, congratulations! It is neat to find a previously undiscovered commonality with a sibling. As we get older and geographically further apart my brothers and I have been making a concerted effort to become closer. To talk/e-mail/text more often. Hopefully I won't get blindsided by something like one brother's decision to get engaged ever again.

More about social environment than genetics..my mom liked Tag and she bought me Tag when I was like 10 yrs old..and as you all know it paved my path to this madness....

Inactive

I can deduce your mum's name is Pamela

Inactive

In nature vs nurture I choose both. My vote however is no.

Well it was not meant to be entirely serious..To me it was just somewhat of a surprise. My brother and I are quite different. I think there are genetic (nature) influences to likes and dislikes but obviously nurture has some role too

Quote Originally Posted by cprrckwlf View Post
    To respond to your subject (and, forgive me, if I'm not entirely sure if it was serious or tongue-in-cheek): My father and I have different taste in watches. My younger brother sits between me and my father in taste. My older brother has no interest but if I gave him a lineup he'd likely pick something that would put me between him and my younger brother.

We can almost certainly discount nature (genetics) in our design preference. On the other hand, I think there is a strong argument for nurture. I am almost sure that my father's watch (a gold rolex something-or-rather) is partly a reaction to what I will call the less than luxurious situation in which he grew up. I am slightly closer to my older brother in age and we shared parts of the late 80s and early 90s that my younger brother just missed. I think there is a profound influence on our later tastes stemming from the time and place and circumstance of our childhoods. Presumably, you and your brother grew up together and it doesn't much surprise that you would have similar preferences in some things.

Anyway, congratulations! It is neat to find a previously undiscovered commonality with a sibling. As we get older and geographically further apart my brothers and I have been making a concerted effort to become closer. To talk/e-mail/text more often. Hopefully I won't get blindsided by something like one brother's decision to get engaged ever again.

Not unless it's a recessive gene! My dad and I share no similarities in watch preferences. He's way more into conservative dress style watches. My grandpa and I think alike however =)

And note we're all WIS so it has nothing to do with one of us not being into watches....it really is just differences in taste.
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

Mostly social values you both grew up with.

The rest is statistics. I'd say you both possess >100 noticeable object. If it hadn't been the same watch, it would have been the same pen/suit/shoes/car/bike/cuff links/etc. Choosing one of a hundred things similarly becomes less spectacular when you look at it that way.. (sorry for being so boringly rational about this!).

But in fact it IS pretty cool that it was the watch and not something else! :o)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information