WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which watch for a multi-sport adventure

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  VoltesV 
#1 ·
Heading back to South America for the first time as a tourist.

When I traveled there for my employer, I performed such activities as:

-canoeing through snake-infested waters
-sliding down mountains in the foothills of the Andes
-negotiating with leaders from the village to the National level
-attending Embassy receptions
-being disarmed by a US Embassy Marine guard (I had forgotten about the knife hidden in my belt buckle--well-trained, those Marine guards!)
-other sundry activities

I know what watch to wear in those circumstances.

This time, I am going as a tourist with a group of 12, including My Beloved (I wasn't married during the previous activities)

Activities will include:

-hiking, including some steep trails with fixed ropes, but no technical climbing or mountaineering
-whitewater rafting
-mountain biking
-snorkeling (no scuba planned--but maybe??)
-sea kayaking

No plans that I know of that involve any fancy dinners, receptions or official encounters.

I would rather not spend money on a new watch, although the Casio ProTrek PRW3000 looks pretty sweet. Nevertheless, we are saving every penny for this "bucket list" trip.

I tend to be somewhat clumsy, and can be hard on watches.

Here are the possible contenders from my stable:

My trusty Citizen Skyhawk.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

It's about 8 years old, and has never been serviced. Says WR to 200 meters, but does not have screw-down crown. I wouldn't be heartbroken if it succumbs in the line of duty, but it doesn't have as much panache as the next two.

Next would be the TagHeuer Aquaracer

I've had this watch about two years. It is tough. I rolled an ATV while wearing it. Subluxed or sprained my sternoclavicular joint, but the AR did well. It gains about 15 secs per day, which I am not crazy about. I suppose I could have it regulated, and maybe have the seals checked, but again, watching the pennies. I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to it, but would be more protective of the next watch.

Six weeks ago, My Beloved gave me a beautiful Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (38.5) in Blue (so-called "Skyfall")

I have yet to see any pictures do justice to how beautiful this watch is in "real life". I would love to take this watch, but have a few apprehensions. Is it "too much watch" for such a trip? I suppose that is up to me, but have any others taken an AT out for an adventure? Did it fare well? As I mentioned before, I can be a bit clumsy, and would hate to ding this watch. For example, I wear the AT everywhere but the gym. There I wear one of the two above, or nothing at all. On the other hand, what a wonderful partner for an adventure! I also don't like the lume on this watch as the other two--the minute hand head tends to get lost in the indices, making it hard to read the time at night. I guess that's not a big deal on vacation, but still . . .

Please help me, collective WISdom!

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd suggest bringing whatever you like for evenings and days off, and buying a cheap knockaround watch for active times. As a long-time mountain biker I wouldn't be inclined to wear any watch while riding, but if I did, it would definitely be a cheap digi. Ditto on the white-water rafting.

A couple of suggestions:

Casio F91W - a classic. So low profile you won't even notice you're wearing it. The buttons and get inadvertently pushed on occasion. Only $12. Seriously, only $12. Also available in a stainless version for a few bucks more, but the bracelet on that version systematically stripped my arm of all hair until I put a metal mesh strap on it, so I'd suggest the resin version. (Casio F91W-1 Classic Resin Strap Digital Sport Watch: Watches: Amazon.com)

Casio G-Shock DW-5600 - the classic G. Burlier than the F91W, but bigger too. I have both, and end up wearing the F91W a lot more often. $40, and I'll bet you can't kill one without a hammer. IMHO, the rest of the G's are too large for being really active with. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAYQKY/)

If you like your watches with some analog goodness, perhaps a Casio AQS800W-1B2VCF Ana-Digi? I have one of these in the mail. I'm planning to paint/sharpie over the bright orange text on the bezel to give it a low-key look. Also available in a stainless version for a few bucks extra. I would consider this on the upper end of acceptable size for being active. $30 (Casio Men's AQS800W-1B2VCF "Slim" Solar Multi-Function Ana-Digi Sport Watch: Watches: Amazon.com)

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Yes, just taking one watch on this trip. Thinking maybe the Aquaracer. Would be a good excuse to have it regulated and seals checked before going.

Not sure if I will need the alarm function of the Citizen. Plan to take my smartphone as well, although it may be left behind in hotel safe while I am out.

Spidaman

#8 ·
Plan to take my smartphone as well, although it may be left behind in hotel safe while I am out.
Bad idea - hotel safes are not safe. Take it with you. You can get something like a lifeproof case or a dry bag that will be submersible and it will be in your control, along with your passport.

I also take pictures of my passport and immigration visa on both my phone and iPad just in case.

Stuff is just stuff ... Passport is stuck there a while.

#13 · (Edited)
If you can scrape the money together for a ProTrek, you will have a watch you like with a story attached that will last many years.

For a less pricey travel watch I might go for a GShock/Ironman, inexpensive diver like Casio MDV-106, or if you don't go for the pedestrian variety, then a dive or field watch from a lessen known outfit, like a Momentum Atlas or even an Amphibian.

Also, unless you are keeping activities to higher end resorts, recognizable pricey watches can lead to the wrong kind of attention. Just another potential hassle, IMO.

[edit] of the 3 in your stable, the Tag seems a solid choice.

#19 ·
Thanks. Surprised to see so little love for the Omega, on what is typically a very pro-Omega site. I appreciate all the valid points. I'll look for a LifeProof case for my phone, so I won't need the alarm functions on my Citizen. Look into a tune-up for the Aquaracer.

Thanks,

Spida

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.