Watch Museums in Switzerland

Thread: Watch Museums in Switzerland

Watch Museums in Switzerland

Hello! My wife and I are planning a trip to France next summer and we are thinking about stopping in Switzerland for a day and night. I'm trying to decide (from the perspective of a watch fan) what city would be best to stay in. I'm particularly interested in museums dedicated to watches. I'd love to hear from some experienced travelers/watch aficionados!

Re: Watch Museums in Switzerland

Well, there are some great boutiques AND museums there. The Patek museum in Geneva is a must-see. Read in advance the open hours. The Omega museum in Bienne/Biel is excellent. For boutiques, Breguet in Geneva treated us very well. There is a huge watch AD in Interlaken with many unusual high end watches. Geneva is the best if only one city i think. Have fun!

Check out information on the Jura Valley... pages like this one : Watches | Discoveries | Jura Tourism

I think La Chaux De Fonds or Le Locle is a good bet, as many manufacturers are around there, but I've never been there myself.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Watchmaking museums - Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie

If you haven't got much time, Geneva is probably your best bet. There is the PP museum, a Swatch exhibition at Cite du Temps, an horology collection at Musee d'art et d'histoire, plus all the brand boutiques. VC's store on Qaui de l'Ile is supposed to have lots of historical pieces.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Geneva for sure. The PP museum is easily the best one IMO, and it covers much more than watches, and much more than the PP brand. They have an extensive horological library, and unless it's changed since I was there last time, one whole floor is dedicated to watches and clocks that are not the PP brand, so you will see a lot of fantastic timepieces there from many different makers.

Note that although some have stated where watch factories are located, generally speaking you just can't walk up and get a tour of a watch factory - it has to be with a group or possibly done with a pre-arranged appointment if you are lucky, but this varies by brand.

Cheers, Al

Thread Information