Watch noob looking to splash out - Help!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Watch noob looking to splash out - Help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Watch noob looking to splash out - Help!

Hi guys,

I currently wear a Seiko 7T62-0TK0 watch which I bought for about $325 (rrp was $650) a couple years ago but it's time for something new and I'm looking for something with a leather band.

In particular I like:
    ww w.hugoboss.com/us/'1512919'-chronograph-black-canvas-strap-aeroliner-watch-/hbna58034094.html

I didn't really know where to look for a watch online, so just browsed eBay and I came across 2 other options that I liked:
    ww w.ebay.com.au/itm/Christopher-Ward-C8-Regulator-watch-C8-Reg-Kvkt-/262089670623?hash=item3d05c2ffdf:g:jtcAAOSwA4dWG0z w - I'd never heard of the brand before but it looks amazing.

ww w.ebay.com.au/itm/TAG-Heuer-Carrera-Calibre-16-Day-Date-Chrono-41mm-Steel-Watch-CV201AH-FT6014-/271766495726?hash=item3f468ba1ee:m:mxbqFBOx23XCXIT QDDNSc9A - I've seen 2nd hand ones for around $2,000

Obviously there is a huge price difference between the BOSS model and the others. I'm willing to spend up to $2,000 for the right watch.

A few questions:
    1) Are there any other brands you could suggest that would be within my price bracket? There were a couple nice Burberry watches and one or two Seikos and Citizen.
    2) It seems as though good watches (eg Tags) maintain their value when second hand. I can't afford a new Tag. Will I regret buying a 2nd hand one? And if I was to look after it and then sell it after 1-2 years, would it be safe to assume I wouldn't lose too much?
    3) Can I buy a tag watch with a metal band, and swap it for a leather band? Are they all interchangeable with each other?
    4) You can usually tell when someone is wearing a good watch from a mile away because it sparkles. What causes this? I'm guessing it's the type of glass/crystal used? Are there particular types that fade easier than others?
    5) Is there anything else I should look out for when buying a watch?
    6) Thoughts on the BOSS watch? Obviously the Tag is a much better watch but I still like the look of the BOSS one. Thoughts?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Watch noob looking to splash out - Help!

$2000 is a very decent budget. Many brands have watches within your budget.
    Japanese: Seiko, Citizen, Orient
    Swiss: Hamilton, Tissot
    German: Muhle Glashutte
    Second hand watches depending on the condition and age may need servicing which may cost an additional several hundred dollars.
    And no, you can not tell a good watch from a bad one from a mile away, at most 5 to 10 meters.
    Swapping out the metal bracelet to a strap is very simple provide the watch does not use proprietary lug designs.
    I think Boss watches are made by Movado. Don't like the Boss watches design, for the same price Seiko etc are much better watch. Hamilton and Tissot offers much better design for a slightly higher price point.

For some idea, browse around in the forum and check out sites like wornandwound.
    Last edited by sea0bass; October 18th, 2015 at 17:50.

Christopher Ward is an English company who buy Swiss movements (ETA or Sellita) and fit them in the watches they produce. They make an excellent watch and their customer service is second to none.
    Veda likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Christopher Ward is an English company who buy Swiss movements (ETA or Sellita) and fit them in the watches they produce. They make an excellent watch and their customer service is second to none.
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Kahrp9p9 View Post
    Ditto!
    Congrats on making 100 posts. So what are you listing for sale, anything the OP would be interested in? ;)
    Bradjhomes likes this.

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum. If you're not in a particular rush, I suggest taking some time over the next few weeks reading and browsing the forum to see what draws your fancy, and then revisit the question with some additional options. $2,000 is a healthy budget and there are loads of terrific options. The TAG you mentioned is a fine watch, but after a few weeks you might find other watches more appealing, and if not, you can have more confidence in your decision to purchase one.

Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahrp9p9 View Post
    Ditto!
    Your speed posting of useless one liners has been noted and 50+ posts deleted.

Speed posting in order to gain access to the sales forum will not be tolerated.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I think you need to research a little more. For 2k you have plenty of good options both new and used. I would recommend first browsing the what are you wearing threads that pop up everyday on here. eBay won't have all the watches available. Then after definitely check out the sales forums here, you can get good watches for a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1) I think Nomos is pretty spectacular in this price range. There are also the usual Swiss suspects: Hamilton, Mido, Tissot, Longines.

2) I don't think you'd regret buying a second-hand one, but be wary of rip-offs. I also wouldn't count on a watch to hold it's value -- it can happen, but it seems more luck than science.

3) You can swap the bracelet for a leather band in the vast majority of cases. Just take note of the lug width -- i.e. 20mm is pretty common.

4) I can't even tell a Rolex Daytona apart from the Invicta knock-off version from more than like 10 feet away :(

5) The movement is pretty important to me (quartz vs. auto vs. hand-wound or in-house vs. ETA/sellita/Miyota/etc.). I'd also consider the type of watch you want: pilot, field, dive, dress, or something else?

6) The Boss watch has a pretty decent design. But I'd personally take a watch from a watch brand over a fashion brand any day. I'm also not too into quartz watches.

Agreed... $2K is a pretty healthy budget for a "noob". A Hamilton Pan Europ fits well within that budget and is a beautiful watch. You can find a lot of nice pieces in the $2000 range. And for the distance factor: the average person wouldn't be able to tell my Orient Blue Ray is only a $130 watch. If you just want a great looking watch, buy an Orient or Seiko.
    Last edited by Infinite_Day; October 19th, 2015 at 01:10.
    Orient Blue Mako : Hamilton Khaki King II : Oris Williams Skeleton : Oris Diver 65 : Mido Multifort Titanium Limited : Omega Speedmaster Racing : Lew & Huey Fireball Spectre : Belmoto Tourer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information