Watch packaging - rather pay for the watch or the packaging?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Watch packaging - rather pay for the watch or the packaging?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Watch packaging - rather pay for the watch or the packaging?

Hi All,

After purchasing my fair share of micro-brand watches, I've acquired a collection of fancy waterproof cases and tubes the watches came packaged in. I've always thought this was neat.

Have we come to expect it now?

Considering the cost of everything that arrives adds to the overall cost of the purchase, would you be happy with a less fancy shipping container if it meant the quality of the watch was increased?

Would you buy a micro-brand watch if it was shipped in a standard watch box (eg. a basic Seiko 5 box) or a sturdy, reusable cardboard tube, or have we come to equate the fancy container with a quality product?

Thanks, and have a great weekend,

Shane

Re: Watch packaging - rather pay for the watch or the packaging?

Quote Originally Posted by S.M.B View Post
    Hi All,

After purchasing my fair share of micro-brand watches, I've acquired a collection of fancy waterproof cases and tubes the watches came packaged in. I've always thought this was neat.

Have we come to expect it now?

Considering the cost of everything that arrives adds to the overall cost of the purchase, would you be happy with a less fancy shipping container if it meant the quality of the watch was increased?

Would you buy a micro-brand watch if it was shipped in a standard watch box (eg. a basic Seiko 5 box) or a sturdy, reusable cardboard tube, or have we come to equate the fancy container with a quality product?

Thanks, and have a great weekend,

Shane
    Standard watch box fine with me. Whatever keeps it safe and sound in-transit is best. The only thing I would admit to is that I don't like getting a watch that is not in a box with the manufacturer's name and sticker with the correct part number on it.

I've thought about this too, yesterday I got a watch, that came in a very plain package.
    Name:  001.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  33.4 KBName:  003.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  47.8 KB
    As you said, it seems I've come to expect more...but the lesser is fine with me, takes up less space to store.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like nice packaging. It all adds to the fun when you first receive the watch. Unpacking the layers of outer and inner boxes, looking through instruction manuals etc. it's nice.
    Toothbras likes this.

While nice packaging seems cool at unboxing it becomes a hassle to store. I like a simple but practical case like little big feather posted above, particularly for a leather strapped dress watch. I also like the practical "pelican-like" cases that some tool watch manufacturers provide (portable carry case w foam cutout).

The lacquered wood boxes that come with most of nicer watches are a space waster. Still, I doubt they command much of price. Then again, recent Omega speedmaster packaging with nato, loupe, pin tool, etc has been used as an excuse to hike up the prices.

Yeah, I'll take minimal packaging any day. It's going in the closet, regardless. When the packaging gets too elaborate, it annoys me because it pointlessly added a few dollars to the cost of the watch.

If I bought a watch and the box was made of unobtanium I'd wonder how much of the cost had gone into the actual piece. By the same standard I wouldn't be overjoyed if my new toy came in an old paper bag.

Packaging is unimportant to me because I never use the original box anyway because I have my own watch boxes. To me, quality is either present or it isn't, packaging can't hide this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I'd rather a regular watch box. Having a problem with filperitis, big, fancy heavy watch boxes do nothing but cost me more money when I sell a watch.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

While I do appreciate it when a watch comes in nice packaging, I am in no way offended by something simpler and less expensive, as in reality the only time I ever look at it is when I first open it, and when or if I ever decide sell the watch. It annoys me a little that so many video reviews of watches spend roughly half the video showing off the box and instructions when it is something that most of us seem to care little about. But I suppose that stuff is important to some.
    Swans21 likes this.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information