Watch photos...why?
Like Tree286Likes

Thread: Watch photos...why?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Watch photos...why?

When people take photos of their watches why do they take a photo obscured by their shirt/jacket cuff. Why do people take photos of the watch with an "interesting" background - just saw a photo where someone had a bonfire in the background, wtf is that about?
    I also find it funny when someone takes a photo of their watch resting on some pseudo intellectual book or manuscript - what are they trying to imply? Or the photos of watches with a whiskey glass and a cigar....

I would personally want to see a watch on a plain background, or fully visible on a wrist so I can calculate the size.
    watchma likes this.

Re: Watch photos...why?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisR View Post
    When people take photos of their watches why do they take a photo obscured by their shirt/jacket cuff. Why do people take photos of the watch with an "interesting" background - just saw a photo where someone had a bonfire in the background, wtf is that about?
    I also find it funny when someone takes a photo of their watch resting on some pseudo intellectual book or manuscript - what are they trying to imply? Or the photos of watches with a whiskey glass and a cigar....

I would personally want to see a watch on a plain background, or fully visible on a wrist so I can calculate the size.
    I personally would rather see wrists that look like they have lifted something more than a 50mm watch and a 12-ounce can of beer, but we can't all have what we want.

Rick "who uses sleeves to demonstrate that the watch will fit under it--not that common these days--and context to demonstrate the style, which is the only reason we make pictures instead of just linking them from Jomashop" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

uh, oh . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Watch photos...why?

To each his own. I personally would get bored very quickly if every pic was just a watch with a white background.

Upgrade your internal processing unit to 4.8 mega-gigas. You could plug into a neural network and eventually approximate what it's like to be human!
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

1) Practicality: Show how it looks in use, on the wrist of an actual person. Most of us have the capacity to find a close-up photo of a watch on the interwebs (god-bless manufacturer websites). It's much harder to find an appropriate wrist shot that displays size and look accurately, especially when many of us don't have access to brick and mortar shops to try a watch on.
    2) Artistic Expression: Lemmings always take the same picture.
    3) You can take your pictures however you like; I promise there won't be any reprisal.
    "I only want to know people who are dynamic, intelligent and totally insane"

i think it would be fair to say a good proportion of members here enjoy photography , certainly enjoy to photograph their watches and i personally like to see that someone has taken the trouble to display and light their prized watch rather than lay it on the kitchen tablecloth and mobile phone it! taking a photo in situe is enjoyable and often tells you a little more about the owner - my initial opinion of you from your first post showing your collection with nice quality photos granted is that you only like the colour yellow and show no imagination ! it seems to me two out of your first three posts have been of a negative nature which is a shame, members post their watch photos as much for themselves as for the enjoyment of likeminded ,if one looks for a problem generally one can find one , you need to lighten up you will enjoy it more
    CCJ, DennisR, marlowe55 and 3 others like this.

I think you're reading too much into these photos. Photos are just a way of sharing on this forum. And photography itself is an art form. So all the backgrounds and shirt cuff shots...it's just all in good fun. I'll take wrist shots when I'm out with my family, just because I'm thinking in that moment...hey that would make a cool wrist shot that I can share on the forums. That's pretty much it.

I personally appreciate any member taking their time to take and post photos. Not only are the marketing photos that the watch companies actually put out never really any good at communicating what the actual watch looks like in real life, but taking a good shot is not as easy as turning on the camera and hitting the button. And on top of that uploading it onto the forums takes some effort as well.
    Last edited by ZASKAR36; February 19th, 2013 at 20:28.
    shameless, Kittysafe and serdal23 like this.

People are just being artistically creative. Simple, really.

Some user's "creative" photos are gorgeous.

I'm just grateful people take the time to post, but you're right. I especially hate the ones where guys try to show off how great their Speedmasters are by taking photos of them cinched to the arm of a space suit while they walk on the Moon.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information