watch pins included?

Thread: watch pins included?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

watch pins included?

I went to the mall to get an inexpensive leather strap for the vintage Hamilton that I just got. I looked at what he had while having a conversation about watches. I found one for $20. I had the money out when I asked if pins were included. He said no. $10 a pair! I didn't buy the band. I thought this was outrageous. Was I wrong?

Ozy

Re: watch pins included?

Quote Originally Posted by hrossroth View Post
    Was I wrong?
    Not at all.

Those Mall-Rats dont make a lot of money...a battery change here, a bracelet sizing there...so some unscrupulous individuals do this sort of thing and charge funny money for pins.

On the upside, I've had great experience with some of the Mall watch guys, free of charge sizings, allowing me to use their tools etc.

You did the right thing.
    Pavo absolutus

I went to the mall to get an inexpensive leather strap for the vintage Hamilton that I just got. I looked at what he had while having a conversation about watches. I found one for $20. I had the money out when I asked if pins were included. He said no. $10 a pair! I didn't buy the band. I thought this was outrageous. Was I wrong?
    Are you referring to springbars?
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Springbars. Yes.

Springbars. Yes.
    Right then. Go buy yourself the right diameter springbars... for a buck or so online...

Although, the springbars your current bracelet or strap is sporting would work fine..

Then go back, and purchase your strap.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

At a "good" dealer you will automatically get the springbars replaced by new ones when buying a new strap. At least this is my experience. However I always have springbars in the drawer, they are cheap to get on ebay, even assorted.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

When I have replaced the springbars on watches in the past they have cost virtually nothing - .50 or so iirc, so asking for $10 is somewhat excessive...

Try a real jewelery store that sells watches. I think the response will be different.

I had the same experience last week in a Time Square mall store! I was replacing a battery and strap for my dads watch. I asked them if the springbars were included with the strap, and they said $10 a pair. I said thats ridiculous and refused to pay. And they said, hey we charge what we pay for them to cover our costs. If they were paying $10 per springbar - they would be out of business! Although in the end, they did include a new one at no cost. (So that was either good customer service or a load of BS!)

I know because most strap providers I use include free springbars with new straps!

While I agree that $10 is high for a pair of springbars I would add a few points before bitching about an evil store owner.
    A $20 strap doesn't allow for a huge amount of profit. I don't care what he paid for it(let's assume he paid $5), in the end he's going to make lunch money on the sale.
    If he's the owner, fine and good. But if he's an employee then you have to remember that his salary must be paid out of that sale - let's figure $15.00/hr., and add anoter 30% to pay taxes/benifits,etc so $20 per hour.
    Then of course there's rent to the mall, utilities(if it's a store front, kiosks don't pay)' lets not forget that malls take a percentage of your sales (not much, but every little bit hurts!). And there is insurance, janitorial, shrinkage loss that must be amortized over the entire inventory and a host of other costs involved.

So, how long did you take of the saleman's time looking at straps? 20 minutes I bet is fair. Figure another 10 for him to change out the strap, and at least 5 for you to admire it and inspect it. So the poor shop owner most likely broke even on the sale if an employee waited on you, or made lunch money if he waited on you. MANY businesses rely on high mark-up "add-ons" to boost profits and stay in business. Nothing wrong with that.

Last strap I bought was an Omega 'Gator at a Bailey, Banks and Biddle. I got free sring bars, they cleaned the exterior of the watch, and polished the crystal. Great service - but I paid $180 bucks for the strap.

Now let's see that Hammey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information