A Watch in a Pot

Thread: A Watch in a Pot

Picture A Watch in a Pot

Received that today :

Could have been a tea pot or a tabacco box , but as expected it contained a watch...

I found it while doing some investigations on the Lip company from the net for a recent post on this forum (this link). It recalled me more or less something like the style of the famous Blancpain (and Lip-Blancpain ...) Fifty Fathoms series. It cames with a double-ridged leather band but I had in mind to install it on a black NATO strap.

The hour marks and central hands are lumed. The small chrono module concerns only 1s steps/60 min small registers at 6 and 9. 24h indicator at 3. Quartz of course for the price (brand new, 40% discount 32 Euros+shipment...), 2 year garantee, not a diving watch (), chrome-plated brass case (stainless screwed back) and rotating bezel counter clockwise only, with a click system...
    Last edited by marc_wl; August 19th, 2006 at 06:54.

Jean-Marc - From what we get we make a living. From what we give we make a life.

Where did you order it? (n/y)

How did you find one?

Re: Where did you order it? (n/y)

Quote Originally Posted by dleibow
    How did you find one?
    Hi,

From the web site indicated on the watch...

Kind regards,

Jean-Marc - From what we get we make a living. From what we give we make a life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: A Watch in a Pot

Nice Chrono...wear it well

Joern from Germany
    Even a broken watch shows the correct time twice a day

What is the quality like?

The watch looks very nice, and the prices look great. What do you think of the quality? How do they compare to other inexpensive watches?
    Thanks a lot,
    David

Re: What is the quality like?

Quote Originally Posted by dleibow
    The watch looks very nice, and the prices look great. What do you think of the quality? How do they compare to other inexpensive watches?
    Thanks a lot,
    David
    No so easy question about the quality. I would not be surprized that the quartz movement would be identical to the one mounted in another brand-new French watch, re-edition of the Yema Rallygraf of the 70's.

Same simplistic small register chrono (more a "second counter" than a real chrono ). This Yema is more expensive due to the stainless steel case and 100m resistance. I think that the 2-year garantee made by LIP indicates they trust in the movement that should be reliable ("VD53" in the Yema, Seiko origin ?). No noticeable time deviation in 2 days. The Yema is +/-2s per month.

The Lip dial and hands are finely made. The small registers are turned in the metal. The chrome-plated case could resist quite well. It was very common in the past, and most of my vintage watches demonstrates that its not a real problem as long as one keep the watch clean. The stainless case back is enough in most of the uses. The band that came with the watch is branded Lip but likely a Hirsch genuire leather. I may have bought this Lip even at the normal price.

I dream to see Yema or Lip watches mounted with mechanical calibers....

After googleing the VD53 reference : Its well a Seiko or TimeModule (TMI) reference. Non jewelled movement (usually not necessary on 1s step movement). Specification +/-20s per month a normal temperature. Technical/service data sheets available here. V53B with date :

Finally more "mechanical" than we usually imagine...
    Last edited by marc_wl; August 21st, 2006 at 15:35.

Thread Information