watch purchase advice
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: watch purchase advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

watch purchase advice

I am looking to purchase my first "nice" watch. I am looking for swiss made in the $1250-1500 range. From what I've read, the automatics are more desirable than the quartz movements?? I've looked at Baumer & Mercier but have heard mixed reviews. Any advice is very much appreciated
    Thanks

Re: watch purchase advice

Quote Originally Posted by bfschief View Post
    I am looking to purchase my first "nice" watch. I am looking for swiss made in the $1250-1500 range. From what I've read, the automatics are more desirable than the quartz movements?? I've looked at Baumer & Mercier but have heard mixed reviews. Any advice is very much appreciated
    Thanks
    Don't let anyone tell you Baume and Mercier doesn't make great watches. If they have a model you like, you can feel confident it's a well made timepiece. Another brand you should give strong consideration to is Frederique Constant. It's a relative newcomer in the world of watches, but they produce some excellent models at great prices. You'd get more help if you gave us an idea of what you are looking for in a "nice" watch. Style, size, complications, dress, casual, diver, etc., to offer more appropriate suggestions.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

I prefer Swiss mechanical (automatic or wind-up). I have a B&M Capeland that I enjoy. Baume has reinvented itself in the last couple of years and the prices have risen significantly. In your price range, for B&M, new old stock or used from a reputable seller would be the way to go.

Can you give us more speciifics? Have you narrowed down to the type of watch you want?
    By "type", I mean dressy, casual, diver, military, pilot or sports watch
    With complications (chronograph, GMT, date/day)?
    Level of water resistance: little to no water exposure>>> swimming>>> diving.
    What size of case (usually diameter masured in mm)?
    Metal bracelet or strap (rubber, leather)
    What shape of case: round, rectangular, oblong
    What will you be doing most of the time you're wearing it: office work, outdoors, physical labor, dressy activities
    dial color/appearance
    Case metal color: stainless, gold plated, two-tone (your price guideline prohibits "real" gold).

Narrowing your focus will be helpful for recommendations by other forum members.
    PocketWater likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice...more specifically I'm looking for a mechanical, dressy black leather, round white face, 42mm range...more simple elements..primarily date only...water resistant would be nice.

maybe a Tissot Visodate or Ball Fireman.

Quote Originally Posted by bfschief View Post
    Thanks for the advice...more specifically I'm looking for a mechanical, dressy black leather, round white face, 42mm range...more simple elements..primarily date only...water resistant would be nice.
    Well, leather and water resistance don't often go in the same sentence. In your price range given what you've described, I would certainly suggest the Baume and Mercier Classima (8592) $1280 on Amazon:

Name:  B&M Classima.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  8.0 KB

Or for a bit more, my favorite, Frederique Constant FC-710 (in-house movement that is beautiful). It sells at AD for $2250, but can be found gray market for around $1500 (Amazon seems to be sold out of them).

Name:  FC-710 5.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  243.0 KB
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

You might look at Hamilton Jazzmaster or Thin-o-matic...also, Movado Datron...ditto on the Tissot Visodate

A white dial Ball engineer red label would be a few hundred more than your current budget but worth the extra time to save for it.

Check out the Raymond Weil Maestro collection...800-1500.00 with several options. Name:  rayweil.gif
Views: 317
Size:  7.9 KB
    Last edited by Watch Tim; December 27th, 2012 at 05:20. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Tim View Post
    Name:  rayweil.gif
Views: 317
Size:  7.9 KB
    I'm pretty sure that's the FC-303, which is a great watch. It has a Sellita SW200 movement, which is a rock solid, reliable and serviceable movement. I bought one for my partner for Christmas. It's beautiful in person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information