Watch Purchase Showdown: The Known vs. The Unknown

Thread: Watch Purchase Showdown: The Known vs. The Unknown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off Topic post Watch Purchase Showdown: The Known vs. The Unknown

Fellow watch enthusiasts-
    I have a bit of a tough purchase decision to make; I am rarely this indecisive, so I must seek the help of fellow collectors.

THE KNOWN DEFENDER: Seiko 5 Automatic SNKE63 ($59.99 shipped)

vs.

THE UNKNOWN CONTENDER(S): Golana Swiss Aqua Pro 100 / Aqua Pro 200 ($98/$122 shipped)

I think the Seiko is a great price for a 21-Jewel automatic, with a clear-back. But I also checked out Golana's site (www.golana.eu) and was impressed with the companies overall presentation and appearance of the watches. From the little I have been able to read about online, they seem to be worth the money. And I'm surely not afraid to pioneer a more unknown brand at the chance of making a great find.

So, what I am asking here is a simple "What Would You Do?"

Add'l info.
    - The Seiko 5 comes from a VERY reputable seller on eBay, but does not come with a box.
    - The Golana's come from Ashford.com, offer 30-day money-back guarantees, and 2-year warranties from Ashford.
    - This watch is meant to be my daily-use, trustworthy beat around- wear it when I work-out or go running, goes into the shower, maybe fall asleep with it on my hand.

Thank you for reading, I look forward to everyone's comments!!! :thanks:thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Watch Purchase Showdown: The Known vs. The Unknown

You are comparing apples and oranges, a used mechanical watch with new quartz watches. Hopefully you are aware of the differences and the timekeeping superiority of the quartz. If you are anal compulsive about timekeeping I'd recommend the quartz.

If you want a Seiko 5 I'd advise getting a new one and they are available for less than $100. Do some Googling.

I highly recommend Seiko 5s and consider them to be one of the best watch values available. They are rugged and last many years before service is needed and because they are so inexpensive really are not worth servicing IMHO. Just be aware that they cannot be hacked or hand wound and typically run 10-15 sec/day fast.

Banned

My love of Seiko is well documented but in this case I would go the Golana. The folded bracelet of that Seiko 5 would be intolerable for me. If your budget allows a decent strap then that would be a different story. The Golana with the strap appeals to me because I like internal rotating bezels (and the requirment for an extra crown). The screw in strap bars also look very nicely done, and sturdy to boot.

You might be on to a winner here. And if not, you only blew $120!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    You are comparing apples and oranges, a used mechanical watch with new quartz watches. Hopefully you are aware of the differences and the timekeeping superiority of the quartz. If you are anal compulsive about timekeeping I'd recommend the quartz.

If you want a Seiko 5 I'd advise getting a new one and they are available for less than $100. Do some Googling.

I highly recommend Seiko 5s and consider them to be one of the best watch values available. They are rugged and last many years before service is needed and because they are so inexpensive really are not worth servicing IMHO. Just be aware that they cannot be hacked or hand wound and typically run 10-15 sec/day fast.
    Luckily it is new, it just doesn't come with the box or anything. It comes from a user with 100,000+ feedback, virtually no negative complaints. I've never owned a Seiko, but I've heard so many great things. The thing could be a minute off and it wouldn't be a big deal, just need basic time, and something that looks great and upholds my collection, while allowing me to not care about giving it a beating. :thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    My love of Seiko is well documented but in this case I would go the Golana. The folded bracelet of that Seiko 5 would be intolerable for me. If your budget allows a decent strap then that would be a different story. The Golana with the strap appeals to me because I like internal rotating bezels (and the requirment for an extra crown). The screw in strap bars also look very nicely done, and sturdy to boot.

You might be on to a winner here. And if not, you only blew $120!
    Yea, those Golana's are tempting, they do look great, and it would be testing some uncharted territory. Yeah, I didn't notice the screw in strap bars the first time, just saw those earlier today. I'm curious as to what the extra crown is for here, totally missing where it says what it does. I just wish I could combine the watch on the left with the stainless steel band on the right

Thank you!

Banned

The extra crown rotates the internal rotating bezel. Many Orients and Hamiltons use a simialr system. Unless that bracelet is especially nice and has solid end links (ask the seller), I woudln't worry about it. It's probably not that great. Chuck a high quality leather strap on either and you'll be well inside the confort zone!

Try out Golana! Let us all know how it is!

My Collection --> Click Here

I have a Golana Aero Pro. I haven't had it that long yet but my initial impression is that it is a very nice watch at an affordable price.

I was looking for a GMT watch and I really liked the style of this one, especially the bezel (and, of course, the price).

Banned

A review would be great if you have the time. Would be a valuable addition to the Affordables subforum.

Not a quartz fan typically, but I really don't like the look of that Seiko at all. Besides I'm in the market for an internal bezel and I'd got with the kind of cool Golana 100 myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information