Watch Recommendation

Thread: Watch Recommendation

Question Watch Recommendation

Well I have been bitten by the watch bug. Looking for a watch with a spending cap of $1500USD for a new watch. Would like a mechanical watch that can withstand the rigors of running my car at the track so it must be highly shock resistant, that can withstand knocks, dings and scratches. Does not have to be pretty but functional, like my track car. Prefer a watch that I can time cars with (Chromometer?).

I have seen watches referred to as Tool Watches, that seem highly durable. How would you define a Tool Watch? I have been eyeing Sinns and Damasko. Am I looking at the wrong type of watch?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Bill

Re: Watch Recommendation

Hello and welcome to the forum,
    I myself would look at getting a Quartz watch with Chronograph functions
    and maybe even a Tachymetre might be nice. A good Quartz watch will with
    stand the abuse much better than a Mechanical one will. Best of luck to you
    in your hunt and hope you keep the shiny side up on the track.
    NAWCC 166917

It is the pleasure derived from any great machine that must justify its cost.

If I were to go with a chronograph, I would go for the Damasko or Sinn. Both of them are tool watches, especially the Damasko. If you go to www.damasko.de and click on the British flag you can read about the technology that has gone into the Damasko watches.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by billatlanta
    Well I have been bitten by the watch bug. Looking for a watch with a spending cap of $1500USD for a new watch. Would like a mechanical watch that can withstand the rigors of running my car at the track so it must be highly shock resistant, that can withstand knocks, dings and scratches. Does not have to be pretty but functional, like my track car. Prefer a watch that I can time cars with (Chromometer?).
    "Chronometer" is the term commonly used now to describe a watch which is particularly accurate, and has been certified as such. The term I think you're searching for, which is very similar, is "chronograph" which allows you to time events independently of the time display on the swatch. This means that chronographs can also be chronometers, of course.

If you want something built like a tank with a well-tuned movement capable of withstanding a beating and which is also a chronograph, Breitling Colt Chrono II on a rubber strap might be in the ballpark if you can find a dealer willing to discount. It's a thermocompensated quartz watch, but robustness is obviously a factor so perhaps it's worth a look. On a rubber strap they're about £875 plus taxes after discount in the UK, which is around US$1,600 before sales tax.

Aside from my partiality towards some Breitlings, the reason I think it might be suitable for you is that it has a tachymeter scale around the edge of the dial for timing units per hour, doesn't have the daft 0-100 scale of many Breitlings, has useful 200m water resistance but manages without screw-down pushpieces, has a very clear dial (not always the case with a Breitling), has raised tabs on the bezel which are easy to operate whilst wearing gloves, and changing the rubber strap for a dressier leather strap is straightforward. And the split Breitling logo at the tails of the chronograph's second and minute hands is cute. It's also robust, very well-built and is certified by COSC:

http://www.timezone.com/library/wbor...33384647656250

As you can see from the description of the tests involved in passing a quartz watch for certification, the test is more about bashing the watch about than checking the accuracy of the quartz movement (although it still has to be better than 0.07 sec/day). Although some say that COSC is a bit of a marketing gimmick, it might be quite useful for you in this instance.

Hi -

If you want really high quality timing to the 1/10th second AND capable of handling lots of knocks AND mechanical, you need to revamp your budget to around 3000-4000USD, if not more. Lots more.

If you don't need the timing function, look at Sinn, especially the U1, which while it is a diver watch, is probably way up there in terms of handling abuse and not giving up.

You might also take a look at a great buy: the Sinn 903 (see attached picture). It is beyond your budget, but isn't that far away, and wil give you by far, I think, the best bang for your buck.

Looking at a quartz, you should consider not so much the usual high-end, but rather something made for the racing business, such as the higher-end Seikos.

http://www.seikowatches.com/press/ne...1alarm2006.asp

Alternatively, Citizen makes a rather nice watch for racers:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...ber=JR3155-03E

which handles 1/100 sec up to 24 hours.

While these are both well below your pricing point, I can't imagine spending all that much more: what you are looking, of course, is a watch that handles abuse and getting dinged about without losing it. That's what is called a "beater" and is called so because it'll get beat up and should keep on working.

JohnF
    Attached Images Attached Images

コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by publandlord
    "Chronometer" is the term commonly used now to describe a watch which is particularly accurate, and has been certified as such. The term I think you're searching for, which is very similar, is "chronograph" which allows you to time events independently of the time display on the swatch. This means that chronographs can also be chronometers, of course.

If you want something built like a tank with a well-tuned movement capable of withstanding a beating and which is also a chronograph, Breitling Colt Chrono II on a rubber strap might be in the ballpark if you can find a dealer willing to discount. It's a thermocompensated quartz watch, but robustness is obviously a factor so perhaps it's worth a look. On a rubber strap they're about £875 plus taxes after discount in the UK, which is around US$1,600 before sales tax.

Aside from my partiality towards some Breitlings, the reason I think it might be suitable for you is that it has a tachymeter scale around the edge of the dial for timing units per hour, doesn't have the daft 0-100 scale of many Breitlings, has useful 200m water resistance but manages without screw-down pushpieces, has a very clear dial (not always the case with a Breitling), has raised tabs on the bezel which are easy to operate whilst wearing gloves, and changing the rubber strap for a dressier leather strap is straightforward. And the split Breitling logo at the tails of the chronograph's second and minute hands is cute. It's also robust, very well-built and is certified by COSC:

http://www.timezone.com/library/wbor...33384647656250

As you can see from the description of the tests involved in passing a quartz watch for certification, the test is more about bashing the watch about than checking the accuracy of the quartz movement (although it still has to be better than 0.07 sec/day). Although some say that COSC is a bit of a marketing gimmick, it might be quite useful for you in this instance.
    I did a search on Breitling Colt Chrono II and a saw a Breitling Chrono Auto Avenger real nice looking watch. Unfortunately it is twice my budget. That had some quartz models in my price range but I want a mechanical watch. I will keep looking as I am not that familiar with their model range. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF
    Hi -

If you want really high quality timing to the 1/10th second AND capable of handling lots of knocks AND mechanical, you need to revamp your budget to around 3000-4000USD, if not more. Lots more.

If you don't need the timing function, look at Sinn, especially the U1, which while it is a diver watch, is probably way up there in terms of handling abuse and not giving up.

You might also take a look at a great buy: the Sinn 903 (see attached picture). It is beyond your budget, but isn't that far away, and wil give you by far, I think, the best bang for your buck.

Looking at a quartz, you should consider not so much the usual high-end, but rather something made for the racing business, such as the higher-end Seikos.

http://www.seikowatches.com/press/ne...1alarm2006.asp

Alternatively, Citizen makes a rather nice watch for racers:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...ber=JR3155-03E

which handles 1/100 sec up to 24 hours.

While these are both well below your pricing point, I can't imagine spending all that much more: what you are looking, of course, is a watch that handles abuse and getting dinged about without losing it. That's what is called a "beater" and is called so because it'll get beat up and should keep on working.

JohnF
    I have been considering dive watches as they look robust. The timing function is not necessary but would be nice. I will look closer at the Sinn range (including U1). I also like the Stowa dive watches. My apprehension with the dive watches is they are large, and I would prefer something along the lines of a 40mm case, 42mm tops.

Thanks for your input.

Hi -

That should definitely be a concern for you then, since both the Stowa and the Sinn dive watches are too large for my wrists, a Planet Ocean is the very largest I can comfortably go with. I've handled both the U1 and the U2 as well as the ProDiver from Stowa, and they are too much watch for my modest wrists.

JohnF

PS: Seiko diver then? They are smaller than the Sinn or Stowa divers, and have an excellent reputation for handling abuse. But they are not the most accurate in the world, but for the very reasonable price they're a great beater watch. Possibly even the Orange or Black Monster.
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information