Watch recommendation as gift for father?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Watch recommendation as gift for father?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Watch recommendation as gift for father?

My dad is 73 and in the early stages of Alzheimer's. It is starting to get to the point that he can't remember what day it is. Mom will be retiring this Spring, and they will be moving. I'm afraid this might increase his confusion.

I would like to get him a high quality watch as a gift –maybe have the case back engraved. Iwant it to be something he would be proud to wear every day, and remind himthat his son loves him.Mostimportantly, I want it to have a real clear Day / Date display so that he willbe reminded what day it is so he will stop asking mom!Although I’m a huge fan of automatics, Ibelieve that a very reliable Quartz would require less maintenance and be easierfor him to live with.

So what would be aquality Quartz Day / Day movement?Whatbrands would be best to consider?Nosub-dials or complicated faces – something clear and easy to read at a glance(40-45mm).Also, I would prefer abracelet over a strap for durability.Maybe a “desk diver” because of the easy visibility and water resistance-- as long as the bezel was subdued in design.

Mainstream brands, or microbrands OK. Thanks for the suggestions!

Re: Watch recommendation as gift for father?

I had the same issue with my 88 year old mother a few years back. Due to failing eyesight and a certain vagueness about day and date, I tried her out on a simple, legible Swatch with a day/date window. That was OK until a month with less than 31 days came along and she was out of synch again! The solution was to get her a radio controlled LCD watch. Big, legible display and (provided you can get a signal) auto time/day/date adjustment. I'm in the UK and an Acctim fitted the bill. However I'm not sure whether it works worldwide. A simple Casio Wave Ceptor might also be a good option.

This obviously is at odds with the concept of a high quality watch, but in terms of utility/useability, it's probably closer to being practical.

Hope this helps.
    gangrel and georgegervin44 like this.

For legibility I think Mondaine Swiss Railways Evo Watch could be a good option. You will need an aftermarket bracelet though

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Search for either Seiko or Citizen Day-Date quartz watches and you will have quite a large selection to choose from

I think the model bellow is a good choice, Day-Date, quartz, 42mm, and excellent legibility!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  51.5 KB

as for the bracelet, IMO it may be uncomfortable to wear on a 42+mm watch for somebody who is 72 and not normally wear watches

Here is a Seiko that may be just perfect for him, 43mm, SS bracelet, day/date, waterproof

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  33.5 KB

link to the watches

https://www.jomashop.com/citizen-watch-bm8471-01e.html
    https://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-sne471p1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zyklon View Post
    Search for either Seiko or Citizen Day-Date quartz watches and you will have quite a large selection to choose from

I think the model bellow is a good choice, Day-Date, quartz, 42mm, and excellent legibility!

as for the bracelet, IMO it may be uncomfortable to wear on a 42+mm watch for somebody who is 72 and not normally wear watches

Here is a Seiko that may be just perfect for him, 43mm, SS bracelet, day/date, waterproof

I like that Seiko! Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.

I think Mouse_at_large made a really good point about the date. Getting your Dad a watch that he'll have to adjust on months with less than 31 days may not be a great idea. I think a radio controlled (or GPS) watch, or even just a digital that will track day/month/year would be a good idea.

Hardly the most expensive of watches but how about something like this little Timex Expedition?

Name:  B3619323-21D8-4B70-AA07-EB1C04BB236C.jpeg
Views: 92
Size:  167.7 KB

I think the point about the perpetual calendar aspect of an RF watch...or potentially a GPS watch...is significant. I'll move it upscale.

#1: Seiko Astron world time.

Yeah, the world time stuff probably isn't needed, but the dial is still fairly clean. Solar, GPS, perpetual calendar.

Another option might be the Citizen
    https://us.citizenwatch.com/us/en/me...L.html#start=1

This is an RF:

Junghans Spektrum Mega Solar. Brand with a long history of RF watches in Germany. Only 41.6mm, but that's a lot of dial with lots of contrast, and that's a big date window.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

I like the Seiko and Citizen suggestions so far, but I'd probably go with a Casio Solar Wave-ceptor. Time sync and perpetual calendar would be pure gold.

Sorry your dad has come down with Alzheimers. By the way, read up on homeopathic Alzheimer's remedies. It is not in Big Pharma's best interest to let that info out, but I'm seeing more and more about helpful everyday remedies.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

Just to expand on my earlier comments and show just what I was recommending. Here is what my mother wears. I think it's a model of clarity as it shows time, day and date and she finds it suits her needs really well.

Name:  acctim-mens-grande-digital-radio-control-watch-with-black-strap-p11388-11896_zoom.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  77.2 KB

If an ana-digi would better suit you, something like this Casio might fit the bill. Once again, time, day and date clearly shown.

Name:  Casio.png
Views: 85
Size:  78.1 KB

I really think this is a case where function takes precedence over form. In any event, it's a very thoughtful gift and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information