Watch related trip over Europe. Let's convince my wife.
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Watch related trip over Europe. Let's convince my wife.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Watch related trip over Europe. Let's convince my wife.

So, i'll be 40 soon and to treat myself, i thought to go on a 14 day trip in Germany and Switzerland (by car) to follow a "watchmakers" path. I'm from Europe and i know my way around it, but i have no knowledge of towns/cities with watch workshops or factories.

I know such a path doesn't exist, but as much as i know, most known watch brands stick together (location wise), specially German ones. And German watches are my main interest (Laco, Stowa, Nomos, Damasko, Sinn, IWC, Junghans, different Glashutes, etc...), but i would also like to jump over to Switzerland and visit their known watchmakers (Omega, Mido, Zenith, Tudor). Those are the brands that interest me mostly. I'll be probably ready to buy myself a watch on that trip too, but mostly it's about experience and get to know some brands more closely and maybe meet the people working there.

The trip must also be interesting for my wife, so any suggestions about places to visit are good.

The problem is, i have no idea, if you can just visit a watchmaker? Do they have a museum maybe or even their own boutique? i would hate to bang my head on a locked door.
    Can you just walk in there or do you need to make special arrangements?

I thought we could compile a list of watchmakers (of those i listed) with their real workshop locations and write down which ones are accessible for "normal" person and what can you see there?
    People with local knowledge or those that were already visiting some locations are very much invited to write their thoughts!
    Last edited by Gargamel35; August 7th, 2019 at 11:11.
    Panerai Luminor 0000 Logo
    Laco Leipzig Erbstuck
    Mido Multifort
    Seiko SDGM003
    EMG DL63
    Poljot Aviator IV
    Orient Ray (blue)
    Orient Bambino IV blue
    Helberg CH8
    Casio Tough Solar
    Sturmanskie vintage
    Garmin Fenix 5+

Re: Watch related trip over Europe. Let's convince my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel35 View Post
    The trip must also be interesting for my wife, so any suggestions about places to visit are good.
    I totally understand your part of the preference list, but what kind of places does she like? Should we recommend the most fancy club in Berlin or the most beautiful vineyard at the Rhine?

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    I totally understand your part of the preference list, but what kind of places does she like? Should we recommend the most fancy club in Berlin or the most beautiful vineyard at the Rhine?
    No clubs, but nice hidden cafes, small restaurants are great. Interesting buildings, city centers (with shops..), parks, vineyards, nature walks,...
    Panerai Luminor 0000 Logo
    Laco Leipzig Erbstuck
    Mido Multifort
    Seiko SDGM003
    EMG DL63
    Poljot Aviator IV
    Orient Ray (blue)
    Orient Bambino IV blue
    Helberg CH8
    Casio Tough Solar
    Sturmanskie vintage
    Garmin Fenix 5+

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Some info regarding German manufacturers is already compiled by members here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/vis...l#post45376231

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/ger...l#post49213691

The Junghans Terrassen Museum is open now (closed on MON).

https://www.watchuseek.com/watchusee...senbau-museum/

Picking up a Damasko watch in Barbing (no tour) should be combined with a visit of the Walhalla and a stroll through the beautiful city of Regensburg. The „Steinerne Brücke“ is a must. If you do not pick up a watch, their Monoshop is located in the heart of the old city of Regensburg.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; August 7th, 2019 at 11:18.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel35 View Post
    No clubs, but nice hidden cafes, small restaurants are great. Interesting buildings, city centers (with shops..), parks, vineyards, nature walks,...
    Consider Frankfurt -> Pforzheim (Stowa museum/showroom, Laco) -> Rothenburg ob der Tauber (amazing medieval town, full of tourists, but fantastic). Not too far apart, so it's easy to do by car.

In Switzerland, Geneva is of course worth visiting, for you both. The Patek Philippe museum is great.
    mapolus likes this.

You should consider just visiting each major city next to the watchmakers you are visiting, she should find something interesting anywhere...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
    instagr.am/lifeofmiquel

When visiting Glashutte use Dresden as a base. Beautiful city and a miracle of reconstruction since reunification, plenty of watch shops too.

Be sure to visit the Green Vault museum where you will find the largest collection of the silver and goldsmith’s art in Europe. If your wife likes jewellery she will love it, mine did.
    ffritz likes this.

If you're in Northern Germany then you could check out Dornblüth. I've read from others who have visited that it's a uniquely personal experience as they're so small and independent.
    ffritz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tournemine View Post
    If you're in Northern Germany then you could check out Dornblüth. I've read from others who have visited that it's a uniquely personal experience as they're so small and independent.
    In that case, definitely put Hamburg on the list (and let me know when you're here!). Wempe, Hentschel and Genesis for the WIS, a wonderful city to explore for everybody else..

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The Zwinger and the Frauenkirche in Dresden are a must as well + Meissen and the Moritzburg and the Elbsandsteingebirge.

Pforzheim and Engelsbrand visits should be combined with the Schwarzwaldhochstraße.

https://www.black-forest-travel.com/a-to-z/
    ffritz and briang583 like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information