Watch running too slow

Thread: Watch running too slow

Watch running too slow

Hey guys. Briefly: my new USED Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 diver watch gained <0.5 sec in 8.5 hours when I didnt wear it. It was placed dial up on a table.

BUT when I wore it for 8.5 hours (using the computer, driving a car etc.) it gained 4 seconds already.

Anything I can do to make it run faster or should it be regulated?

Thanks
    Bomfunk

Re: Watch running too slow

This may be inaccurate, but I've heard that if a watch is + or - 5 seconds a day, it's well within an acceptable range. I believe it's running around 99.994% (or some crazy number) accuracy. I guess in the end you have to ask yourself if it truly matters to you. Hope this helps.

Don't worry about it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think 4 seconds in 8.5 hours is a bit too much. That is roughly 10 seconds a day! I'd prefer watch gaining time, not losing it. Should I wind the watch until it's fully wound, any tricks and tips? I'd really want to know since I'm wearing this watch everyday.

No it's not if it's a mechanical watch. Try various positions when you take it off. 8 hours is nothing. You need weeks of use with a mechanical watch before you can draw any conclusions. You need quartz if you are that concerned about it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Your watch is fine, no need to put it at risk for an early service. Try positioning it over the next week on all six sides, the position that yields the least timing drift is your "nightstand" position each day. If you want the mainspring consistently charged get a winder but those have drawbacks as well.

By the way, nice watch!

Peace,
    Preston

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Here's what our Zenith mod wrote:

As for the deviations, the Zenith "Elite" should manage about 5 seconds between the lowest and highest daily rate. 10 seconds are permissible (i.e. deviating between -5 and +5 or between -3 and +7), after that it becomes a little painful. These should be wrist values, under the strict conditions of COSC testing in exact positions, the values might be a touch worse, but not much. So, values between -2 and +3 are close to ideal. My El Primero managed 2.5 seconds (0 to +2.5) after its last service - for several months!
    When did yours get the last service ?
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

When did yours get the last service ?
    The seller didn't know when it was last time serviced but he has an in-house watchmaker that checks all the watches he sells and said the watch is working as new and will be fine without service for the next 5 to 6 years if the watch is worn on a regular basis. He also stated that the watch has an amplitude of 300.
    Last edited by Bomfunk; June 26th, 2013 at 16:57. Reason: Had two L's in "regular"

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bomfunk View Post
    The seller didn't know when it was last time serviced but he has an in-house watchmaker that checks all the watches he sells and said the watch is working as new and will be fine without service for the next 5 to 6 years if the watch is worn on a regular basis. He also stated that the watch has an amplitude of 300.
    260° - 300° is fine indeed. Aging oil will drop this figure.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

To be honest, I don't even bother checking the exact accuracy on mine as long as they keep good time. Since I don't use a winder and wear different watches, I end up resetting before accuracy is ever an issue. Unless you notice you need to reset your watch too frequently, I wouldn't worry about it.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information