Watch scratches with laptops

Thread: Watch scratches with laptops

Watch scratches with laptops

Happy Game Day everyone,

I'm curious how y'all deal with the friction between between your watch clasp and the wrist rest areas on laptops when your typing? It's not a big deal with my "beater" watches or on my Thinkpad which is made of plastic, but on MacBook Pro and with my nicer watches it's metal on metal...

I'm to the point of just taking the watch off if I'm wearing short sleeves and using the MacBook, but was curious if anyone else had this problem?

Go Dawgs!
    Stephen

Re: Watch scratches with laptops

I leave mine on. I don't have any seriously high end watches (and even if I did, I'm of the opinion that wear occurs and builds character) and I haven't noticed any damage to my MacBook Pro despite heavy use as a student.

I tend to pull my watch higher up onto my wrist while using my laptop. My fingers are long enough that I can usually avoid scraping up the clasp by doing this.

I also only have "affordable" watches, and don't really worry too much about scratching the clasps/buckles. I figure if I wear them, eventually they will get scratched anyway.

As a side note, my girlfriend mentioned last night how one of her watches has a bunch of scratches on the clasp and referred to herself as a desk diver. I chuckled to myself about that one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't find that I have that issue with my Macbook Pro. I mainly wear "higher end" pieces (Breitling, Bremont, Omega).

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

I had a friend who started getting terrible scratches in his MacBook and couldn't figure out what was going on until I pointed out his metal watch band. I prefer watches without metal bracelets, so I haven't had any serious problems myself.

I wear my watches higher up than most people, thus avoiding this problem. Sometimes I just take my watch off and lay it on my desk.

I find this issue is related to table/desk height, in that a taller table (or shorter seat) tends to bring my wrist down onto my laptop. My solution to this problem is to either: (1) wear a rubber strap when I plan to be using a laptop for an extended period, or (2) using a laptop stand that raises the rear of the laptop relative to its front.

I guess the lack of watch wearing in the general public has kept this issue from becoming an ergonomic concern for laptop manufacturers.

I have a Macbook Pro and yes, watches can scratch up the finish. So I have a Moshi palmrest cover on mine. Its the same color as the laptop and is pretty much invisible.

moshi 15" PalmGuard Palm Rest Protector for MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)
    Lots of dive watches.

Thread Information