Watch shopping in California?

Thread: Watch shopping in California?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Watch shopping in California?

I'm based in the UK, but I'm going to be on vacation in California shortly (my wife's going to a conference there, and I'm following her over).

We are planning to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles through Yosemite, and then back up to SF along the cost, taking about 2 weeks for the trip (giving her some time in mountains/sea, and me some time in cities).

• Are there any interesting watch opportunities (especially second-hand) in that region?

• How do (especially second-hand) prices compare with UK?

• Anything else (apart from the obvious tourist things) that I should look out for (it's my first time on the West coast)?

--
    Philip

Re: Watch shopping in California?

Good watches in LA can be found at Feldmar. Beverly Hills has boutiques for Rolex, Panerai, IWC, PP, etc.

My non-watch travel tip is to spend a day or two in Paso Robles on the way back to San Francisco. Excellent up-and-coming wine region nearly on par with Napa but much more approachable and friendly. Santa Barbara is great, too.

On the way back up to SF, stop at Nepenthe for lunch, and request a table with on the outside deck. You will like it.

In LA, for good variety of watches in one place, Feldmar is a good stop.

Also, I have never shopped at Second Time Around Watch Company, but it might be worth checking out. Maybe some others can give an opinion.
    Last edited by 3th3r; August 29th, 2012 at 01:34.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Napa is great if you know where to go. You will run into snobs now and then, but its still famous for a good reason. Sonoma is great as well.

Regarding Yosemite, read up on the HantaVirus issue they've been having recently. Its something you should be aware of if you plan to stay there.

Monterey is a good stop along the coast. Near Monterey, theres a park called Point Lobos, which is one of the most beautiful places I've been to, definitely worth a stop and much better than the overrated 17 mile drive.

As for watches, theres a Tag outlet near LA. Worth a stop I think. I cant really recommend much else without knowing what type of watches or what price range you are looking at. Even if it was just window shopping.

There's a new Tourbuillion Boutique on union square in SF, and also Shreve and Co. at 201 Post Street - Last time I was in Shreve I was dressed one step above bum and got the royal treatment for the better part of an hour. I don't know anything about their pricing.

Ain't Topper or somesuch forum sponsor down in Burlingame? That's a 10 minute drive from SF.

VRT

Quote Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
    Monterey is a good stop along the coast. Near Monterey, theres a park called Point Lobos, which is one of the most beautiful places I've been to, definitely worth a stop and much better than the overrated 17 mile drive.
    There is Carmel, CA right next to Monterey and 17 mile drive. Somebody told me it has few watch stores. I will check them myself this weekend :).

Quote Originally Posted by VRT View Post
    There is Carmel, CA right next to Monterey and 17 mile drive. Somebody told me it has few watch stores. I will check them myself this weekend :).
    I enjoy going down there with the wife every now and then, very touristy but still a nice little town. Great restaurants, and high end jewelry stores aplenty. Not sure about second hand, but the places I went into had plenty of pieces to drool over...

The last time I was in Tourneau in San Jose, they had 3 cases of pre-owned.

Toppers Jewelers in Burlingame (just south of San Francisco) I've heard is a great place with great staff and selection (no affiliation), having both new and pre-owned. Also, I've heard that one of the employees is a fellow WIS who is also part of this forum...

When I visited Beverly Hills I really enjoyed browsing at the JLC and IWC boutiques. Although I wasn't buying, I was pleasantly surprised at the very gracious service I received. I imaginge the prices in CA will be much better than in the UK.

Also, BTW guys its called the Tourneau Boutique, not Tourbillon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information