Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance? - Page 11

View Poll Results: Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance?

Voters
123. This poll is closed
  • Rolex

18 14.63%
  • Cartier

13 10.57%
  • Montblanc

5 4.07%
  • Omega

17 13.82%
  • Panerai

2 1.63%
  • JLC

90 73.17%
  • Hublot

2 1.63%
  • Rado

2 1.63%
  • Breitling

7 5.69%
  • Zenith

18 14.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance?

Methinks you are correct Yorick ;)

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I believe that reference comes from Hamlet, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    The thing is though that different markets have different tastes. I'd think that maybe different cultures have different ideas to our Western society when it comes to displaying wealth or oppulence for example. We might see a big chunky solid gold watch as being tacky or vulgar but in different places and markets around the world it might be seen as something quite different, maybe respect worthy even, especially if that culture has a history of using gold or jewels in that way to signify certain things. I've never been one to think that companies are selling out by providing different styles to different markets, it's just serving different markets in different ways really, even if it is something that we wouldn't buy ourselves.
    I agree. Actually the single color cars were extremely cool and tastefully done. Imagine an old body S class Mercedes (before they were called S) single color inside out: seats, steering wheel, dash, all buttons, carpeting, ceilings, etc. They must have had heck of a time to have every little bit and piece perfectly color matched. Just awesome. I wouldn't want one, but would be happy to have the set.

The limousine Ferrari is an abomination. That's no longer a sports car. Not with that size and weight distribution. Though it seems many similar brands are planning SUVs...

Quote Originally Posted by Matty01 View Post
    Lotta replies here to a questuon not asked by the op. Dont recall him asking if YOU are so shallow and moronic as to respect hin and value him above yourself based on his choice of wrist adornment. Clearly someone for whom $extraneous to survival, as Presented on ones wrist = extrinsic value of self is a shallow moron to be acknowledged for its (my precious) banal and piteously limited existence. That said all of us in business deal with people of a broad arras of competencies anda vast spectrum of personal traits which are reflective of our own in very limited through to quite extensive ways. Hqving a classy watch thay inspires comment and admiration may be a useful way of bridging the gap between omeself and a moron and theefore finding a positive outcome for ones business ... prehaps that was what the op was asking?
    Am I the only one feeling like a moron trying to understand this?
    Last edited by dilal; January 14th, 2013 at 08:23.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Uh oh. Am I missing something here?

I really hope you lucked out and got this watch for this price, but something feels really off about this seemingly (to me) too-good-to-be-true deal. First off, unless the seller is a dealer, that watch is misrepresented as being brand new. LNIB, or "like new, in box," perhaps, but if he's a private seller, and that's his watch to sell, it's a used watch, not a new watch. Secondly, that price represents something close to 50% off of the MSRP (in the US; likely more in the seller's location) approximately $8,200. Again, good for you, if it turns out to be a legit deal.

The thing is, as an experienced buyer and seller of new and used watches, I wouldn't touch that deal with a ten foot pole. If you look at his other items for sale, they appear to be knock-off branded jackets — the kind you find in every fabric and clothing market in Shanghai, Seoul, HK, Singapore and the seller's home in Bangkok. And judging by his feedback rating (with a low 36 count), he has NEVER sold anything remotely along the lines of a high-end watch. Nothing even watch related, it seems.

Again, I could be wrong, but that seller sends out nothing but red flags, in my mind. Maybe I'm not reading things carefully enough? (I'll go back after I post this to take another look.)

My advice is, if you really like the model, go to your local AD and ask them about discounts. Models that have been recently discontinued, or ones that don't fly off the shelves can usually be had at a healthy discount. Best of luck. Please post it up when you get it.

PS: Just FYI, "guilloché" is a type of engraving that's done to the dial surface. It's not a type of watch.

Quote Originally Posted by V10K+ View Post
    Thanks! This is how it looks with rubber strap:

Lastly, I'm not sure where you're getting these photos/renderings, but the strap/bracelet seen here (above) is clearly not the well known JLC OEM articulated rubber bracelet. The real bracelet's links aren't angled like that, at all. Here's what the genuine bracelet looks like (on the articulated bracelet model; MSRP $9,600):

(Image borrowed from Prestigetime. Thx.)
    Last edited by Dixan; January 14th, 2013 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by dilal View Post
    Am I the only one feeling like a moron trying to understand this?
    When confronted by a post like that I always just assume that someone got a thesaurus for Christmas and go on with my life.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixan View Post
    Uh oh. Am I missing something here?

I really hope you lucked out and got this watch for this price, but something feels really off about this seemingly (to me) too-good-to-be-true deal. First off, unless the seller is a dealer, that watch is misrepresented as being brand new. LNIB, or "like new, in box," perhaps, but if he's a private seller, and that's his watch to sell, it's a used watch, not a new watch. Secondly, that price represents something close to 50% off of the MSRP (in the US; likely more in the seller's location) approximately $8,200. Again, good for you, if it turns out to be a legit deal.

The thing is, as an experienced buyer and seller of new and used watches, I wouldn't touch that deal with a ten foot pole. If you look at his other items for sale, they appear to be knock-off branded jackets — the kind you find in every fabric and clothing market in Shanghai, Seoul, HK, Singapore and the seller's home in Bangkok. And judging by his feedback rating (with a low 36 count), he has NEVER sold anything remotely along the lines of a high-end watch. Nothing even watch related, it seems.

Again, I could be wrong, but that seller sends out nothing but red flags, in my mind. Maybe I'm not reading things carefully enough? (I'll go back after I post this to take another look.)

My advice is, if you really like the model, go to your local AD and ask them about discounts. Models that have been recently discontinued, or ones that don't fly off the shelves can usually be had at a healthy discount. Best of luck. Please post it up when you get it.

PS: Just FYI, "guilloché" is a type of engraving that's done to the dial surface. It's not a type of watch.

Lastly, I'm not sure where you're getting these photos/renderings, but the strap/bracelet seen here (above) is clearly not the well known JLC OEM articulated rubber bracelet. The real bracelet's links aren't angled like that, at all. Here's what the genuine bracelet looks like (on the articulated bracelet model; MSRP $9,600):

(Image borrowed from Prestigetime. Thx.)

Thanks for your response. I fully agree about being skeptical about ebayers esp international ebayers. I have seen both ebay and paypal be merciless to fraudulent ebayers (not to mention credit card companies). I did see that he sold a number of expensive watches all on the same day. Even if watch is used with no blemishes it would be worth more than I paid. If something turns out to be wrong I will stop payment but I agree for the most part its usually not worth the hassle unless you are saving thousands.

Sorry I pulled the photos off google image finder tool. Thanks for posting the correct photo. I keep debating whether I should have gone with the rubber bracelet or not.
    Rolex OysterQuartz Collection: Rolex DJ OysterQuartz White Roman Dial SS (17000), Rolex DJ OQ White Buckley Jubilee (17014)
    'The OysterQuartz is a True Timeless Masterpiece!'
    Other Watches: Cartier Tank Solo SS, Rado R5.5 White Jubilee, JLC Reverso Squadra White Articulating Rubber Bracelet

"Guard your time before it runs out."

Thanks for your response. I fully agree about being skeptical about ebayers esp international ebayers. I have seen both ebay and paypal be merciless to fraudulent ebayers (not to mention credit card companies). I did see that he sold a number of expensive watches all on the same day. Even if watch is used with no blemishes it would be worth more than I paid. If something turns out to be wrong I will stop payment but I agree for the most part its usually not worth the hassle unless you are saving thousands.

Sorry I pulled the photos off google image finder tool. Thanks for posting the correct photo. I keep debating whether I should have gone with the rubber bracelet or not.
    Any links to those other watches? He just ups and sells several high-end watches all on one day? The guy is selling knock-off jackets for $39.99, for Pete's sake. Idk, as I wrote, I hope you did well here, but every single thing I've learned on these forums is telling me this is a shady deal. I guess we'll see. Best of luck to you. Be careful.
    Last edited by Dixan; January 14th, 2013 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixan View Post
    Any links to those other watches? He just ups and sells several high-end watches all on one day? The guy is selling knock-off jackets for $39.99, for Pete's sake. Idk, as I wrote, I hope you did well here, but every single thing I've learned on these forums is telling me this is a shady deal. I guess we'll see. Best of luck to you. Be careful.
    c_porado | eBay

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Memovox Alarm Watch | eBay

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control Calendar Power Reserve Moonphase Triple Date | eBay

It looks like he sold 13 high end watches that day. I am suspecting he must be some kind of private dealer.
    Rolex OysterQuartz Collection: Rolex DJ OysterQuartz White Roman Dial SS (17000), Rolex DJ OQ White Buckley Jubilee (17014)
    'The OysterQuartz is a True Timeless Masterpiece!'
    Other Watches: Cartier Tank Solo SS, Rado R5.5 White Jubilee, JLC Reverso Squadra White Articulating Rubber Bracelet

"Guard your time before it runs out."

c_porado | eBay

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Memovox Alarm Watch | eBay

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control Calendar Power Reserve Moonphase Triple Date | eBay

It looks like he sold 13 high end watches that day. I am suspecting he must be some kind of private dealer.
    "Private dealer" is an oxymoron. Run away! Those JLCs are ALL about $2,000 lower than actual used market values. I see maybe one watch that has sold at anything close to real market value. There's a reason for that. There's some seriously shady dealings going on. He sells these all at once. Never before, and none since? Have you checked to see if he's using shills to bid up the prices to the four thousand dollar range (on the JLCs)? No way these are legit deals. If they were, he'd be losing serious money on almost every single watch. It just doesn't add up.
    Last edited by Dixan; January 14th, 2013 at 18:23.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread Information