Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance?

View Poll Results: Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance?

Voters
123. This poll is closed
  • Rolex

18 14.63%
  • Cartier

13 10.57%
  • Montblanc

5 4.07%
  • Omega

17 13.82%
  • Panerai

2 1.63%
  • JLC

90 73.17%
  • Hublot

2 1.63%
  • Rado

2 1.63%
  • Breitling

7 5.69%
  • Zenith

18 14.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Smile Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance?

I was in a business meeting today with engineers, area sales reps, VPs, etc negotiating large contracts. Everyone had watches with their suits. The engineers wore watches that showed they were engineers (oversized and round, seiko-ish), sales reps had watches that showed they were sales reps (slim, round and not fancy, IWC-ish), VP was wearing a watch that said he wasn't making enough (I didn't see the brand but based on the look, size and finish a bit to plain, Zenith probably). I wore my Cartier Tank Solo Large SS bracelet which others noticed and based on my appearance I was given the most respect (even though my presence in the meeting was superficial and I was silent most of the time). I wasn't wearing a special suit nor did I bother to groom myself extra special this morning. I started thinking is there a watch that commands even a greater sense of importance to non WIS watch people? In my book, a Rolex would not have, neither a JLC, Panerai, Hublot, Rado, Breitling, Omega, not sure about Mont Blanc.

Would love to hear everyone's opinions, even opposing ones. Please list any brands I have forgotten.

My impression may be skewed by a few factors leather straps or ceramic band watches don't seem to go well in business meetings where everyone is suited up. Also, for whatever reason round faced watches always resemble one another too much. I think rectangular dials tend to be more bold and striking.
    Last edited by V10K+; January 9th, 2013 at 08:43.
    Rolex OysterQuartz Collection: Rolex DJ OysterQuartz White Roman Dial SS (17000), Rolex DJ OQ White Buckley Jubilee (17014)
    'The OysterQuartz is a True Timeless Masterpiece!'
    Other Watches: Cartier Tank Solo SS, Rado R5.5 White Jubilee, JLC Reverso Squadra White Articulating Rubber Bracelet

"Guard your time before it runs out."

Re: Which Watch Signifies Elegance, Class, & Importance?

No offense, but the special respect you think was paid to you is probably an illusion. If it wasn't an illusion, it was probably based on some other factor besides your watch. The vast majority of people could barely spot the difference between a Timex and a Rolex - even if they were paying attention. Which they usually aren't.

Even as a WIS-in-training who can identify a fair number of watches at a glance, the fact that someone is wearing any particular watch may pique my interest, but it won't make me any more or less respectful to him (or her). Some of the most respect-worthy people I know wear cheap digital watches, and a few of the people who I find a lot less respect-worthy wear very high-end watches.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LesserBlackDog: It wasn't an illusion but, good point, it could have been some other factor that I missed. It might be possible that one of the sales reps told the others about my car collection (not worth much).

Starter: If post came off a bit pompous, please forgive me it wasn't my intent. I was just wondering if there was a watch that gave off a message of elegance and class. I know Rolex is known for it but I haven't been able to grasp that.
    Last edited by V10K+; January 9th, 2013 at 09:50.
    starter likes this.
    Rolex OysterQuartz Collection: Rolex DJ OysterQuartz White Roman Dial SS (17000), Rolex DJ OQ White Buckley Jubilee (17014)
    Other Watches: Cartier Tank Solo SS, Rado R5.5 White Jubilee, JLC Reverso Squadra White Articulating Rubber Bracelet

A great watch in no way makes someone more worthy of respect than someone else. What it makes them is an owner of a great watch, which in the eyes of a watch lover is quite a wonderful thing in its own right. No more, no less. Some of the biggest jerks I have met wore nice watches, some of the most impressive men wore simple functional watches. All that can be really said is there is some loose connection between choice of watch and income, and this connection is tenuous in many cases as well.
    flybynight70, Matty01 and mdatta like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Omega and JLC should have some nice dressy watches to meet all your dress needs. Either brand should be good. Rado is a little too modern and daring in their designs to be true and proper dress watches, but I really do love the new Rado D-Star 200, which can either fit you in a pair of jeans or with a suit. The other brands are alright, but those three would be my personal preference.

As for what watch commands others to give you respect, the answer to that is that no object can cause others to give you respect that you do not deserve or command. Only you can make sure that you are worthy of respect through your actions. Any watch can help to compliment your wardrobe, but though you may dress like a noble, if your behavior does not match your appearance then no object will cause others to give you more respect than that which you have earned.
    440saw likes this.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    A great watch in no way makes someone more worthy of respect than someone else. What it makes them is an owner of a great watch, which in the eyes of a watch lover is quite a wonderful thing in its own right. No more, no less. Some of the biggest jerks I have met wore nice watches, some of the most impressive men wore simple functional watches. All that can be really said is there is some loose connection between choice of watch and income, and this connection is tenuous in many cases as well.
    Agree completely. It is funny how people respect wealth and not the merit of a man. I do find it detestable and personally don't respect people for what they own but what they do. I guess I posted this as to figure out what impression a watch says about a man, similar to what impression a car says about the driver. Tons of jerks own ferraris, bentleys, etc.
    American Eagle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by V10K+ View Post
    LesserBlackDog: It wasn't an illusion but, good point, it could have been some other factor that I missed. It might be possible that one of the sales reps told the others about my car collection.
    I think you're still missing the point. Same goes for your car collection as well. Owning stuff and earning true respect are independent things.
    Last edited by dilal; January 9th, 2013 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by V10K+ View Post
    Starter: If post came off a bit pompous, please forgive me it wasn't my intent. I was just wondering if there was a watch that gave off a message of elegance and class. I know Rolex is known for it but I haven't been able to grasp that.
    Don't worry about me, I just like quoting Ron Burgundy whenever possible.

On a real note, I think you commanded respect in the meeting not because they were impressed with your watch, but because you were impressed with your watch, and because of that you felt confident and exuded elegance, class, and importance. I think it was that confidence and attitude they responded to. It's possible the watch acted as a conduit or focal point for their admiration, but it was all you... Believe that.
    squelch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dilal View Post
    I think you're still missing the point. Same goes for your car collection as well. Owning stuff and earning true respect are totally independent things.
    To be honest I really didn't care if they respected me or not, nor did I want them knowing anything about me. I only cared as it was useful in negotiation today. I personally didn't even want to be in the meeting but rules of negotiations required my presence as they brought to many heads to the table.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information