Watch size and any similar watches?

Thread: Watch size and any similar watches?

Hey guys, this is my first post, so I thought I would start off by asking you guys a question!

At this moment I'm debating whether to buy the Citizen Blue Angels World Chronograph A-T (AT8020-03L)

Link is here: http://www.jared.com/en/jaredstore/w...t-281774909--1

The watch above has a Case Diameter of 43mm.

My wrist (if I measured correctly) is about 6.5 inches or 165mm.

Would this watch look... weird, too big, or out of place being worn on my 6.5"/ 165mm wrist? I'm not a person that's set on watch size, even though it appears the trend is bigger looks better.

Also: Are there any other watches similar to this with about a 35mm-40mm case diameter? Price range being $100-$600 usd.

Thanks in advance! And Happy New Years!
    Last edited by drew12; January 1st, 2013 at 07:18.

Quote Originally Posted by drew12 View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first post, so I thought I would start off by asking you guys a question!

At this moment I'm debating whether to buy the Citizen Blue Angels World Chronograph A-T (AT8020-03L) Jared - Citizen Men's Watch Blue Angels AT8020-03L

The watch above has a Case Diameter of 43mm.

My wrist (if I measured correctly) is about 6.5 inches.

Would this watch look... weird, too big, or out of place being worn on my 6.5" wrist? I'm not a person that's set on watch size, even though it appears the trend is bigger looks better.

Also: Are there any other watches similar to this with about a 35mm-40mm case diameter? Price range being $100-$600 usd.

Thanks in advance!
    Hard to say. I believe the watch is widely available in retail jewelry stores so I would see if you can try it on. Personally I would look for a smaller watch, but my preferences are on the smaller side and plenty of people with 6.5" wrists wear 43mm watches.

Will
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Re: Watch size and any similar watches?

Yes, agree with Will_F, try it on, in my experience case size and fit are not directly proportional variables. I have 6.5'' wrists and I have 3 watches 40-45mm diameter. All look and feel, IMO anyway, fine. I previously had a GW4000 which I flipped as it definitely crossed the line for me (but the diameter was 53mm!). I have also tried on watches with case diameters of 39-41mm and because of the design they wear alot larger, or the lugs overhung my wrist, making them too large for me. Here are a couple of links which discuss the topic, and the impact wrist shape as well as size has on how a watch wears.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/wris...cs-720843.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/what...st-720078.html

Also as for alternative suggestions, what features are you specifically looking for? Atomic timing? Chrono? There are alot of features on the Citizen AT range.
    Last edited by jt67; January 1st, 2013 at 16:47.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Judging by the pics, it still has a "compact" build, in that its lug-to-lug size is only ever slightly bigger than the case diameter. With the same wrist size as yours, I would say I'd still be pretty much OK wearing it, although my most comfortable range for most styles is 39-41 mm. And yes, try it on if you have a chance (or a similar model that has the same case).
    "Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know..." (Prince Ludwig the Indestructible)

Yes you should try it on. And try to focus more on how it feels on your wrist rather than how it looks. You should be able to wear it slightly loose. If slips around a lot and just doesn't seem to sit right then it is too big to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by jt67 View Post
    Yes, agree with Will_F, try it on, in my experience case size and fit are not directly proportional variables. I have 6.5'' wrists and I have 3 watches 40-45mm diameter. All look and feel, IMO anyway, fine. I previously had a GW4000 which I flipped as it definitely crossed the line for me (but the diameter was 53mm!). I have also tried on watches with case diameters of 39-41mm and because of the design they wear alot larger, or the lugs overhung my wrist, making them too large for me. Here are a couple of links which discuss the topic, and the impact wrist shape as well as size has on how a watch wears.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/wris...cs-720843.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/what...st-720078.html

Also as for alternative suggestions, what features are you specifically looking for? Atomic timing? Chrono? There are alot of features on the Citizen AT range.
    Wow, you really put the whole watch size in perspective for me. Thanks for those links!

As for your alternate suggestions: ($100-$600 usd preferably)

39mm - 43mm Case Diameter
    <14mm Case Thickness
    Perpetual Calender
    Atomic Timekeeping
    Chronograph 1/10 minimum
    Date window
    Rubber/ Poly Strap
    Buckle Clasp/ Ability to change bands.
    Black, Blue, and maybe Red.

With or Without:

Alarm
    Solar and or Battery
    Tachymeter

Quote Originally Posted by drew12 View Post
    Wow, you really put the whole watch size in perspective for me. Thanks for those links!

As for your alternate suggestions: ($100-$600 usd preferably)

39mm - 43mm Case Diameter
    <14mm Case Thickness
    Perpetual Calender
    Atomic Timekeeping
    Chronograph 1/10 minimum
    Date window
    Rubber/ Poly Strap
    Buckle Clasp/ Ability to change bands.
    Black, Blue, and maybe Red.

With or Without:

Alarm
    Solar and or Battery
    Tachymeter
    You're welcome - being slim wristed myself this was a topic I also researched when I first got into watches. As to alternatives, there are two that come to my mind (and hopefully other WUSers will come in with further suggestions), Casio Edifice and GShock aviators.

The Casio EQWM range I think have all the requirements you list, although I dont know about strap changing. There are non-resin and stainless steel versions too. I think these come closest to the Citizen AT. This one looks pretty cool IMO and is $500.

Name:  eqwm1100dc-1a2_xlarge.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  101.6 KB

I have this G Shock Aviator, the GW3000 - which I bought to replace the GW4000 which was too big for me. I have seen these with other coloured straps and they come in other colour accents too. I suggest you ignore the reported dimensions which are larger than your specs and try these on for size. I found the 3000 and 3500 wore considerably smaller than the 4000 and 1000 on me.

Name:  gw3000b-1a_xlarge.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  108.3 KB

Good luck!
    Last edited by jt67; January 1st, 2013 at 23:59.

Chicago / Budapest (Depending on the Day of the Week)

In today's world you will not look out of place with that watch. But I hate the trend. My wrist is 21-22cm, my height is 191cm and I weigh 130kg. I am buying a 35mm face watch next month.

The other thing is... it's a pilot watch. They're supposed to be big. So as long as you're comfortable, it's fine. If you have reasonably 'flat' wrists, so the lug length is OK, you'll be fine. Mine are 7", it fit me out of the box, and I just had a look at the bracelet... the link length looks around 10mm, the clasp has an extra set of holes for a 4mm adjustment. So I think you're going to end up taking out one link and going on the inner hole on the other side to balance it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor View Post
    The other thing is... it's a pilot watch. They're supposed to be big. So as long as you're comfortable, it's fine. If you have reasonably 'flat' wrists, so the lug length is OK, you'll be fine. Mine are 7", it fit me out of the box, and I just had a look at the bracelet... the link length looks around 10mm, the clasp has an extra set of holes for a 4mm adjustment. So I think you're going to end up taking out one link and going on the inner hole on the other side to balance it out.

I love pilot watches, well... at least the look, functionality, and the complexity of the design. Size on the other hand, has me at a downside.

Thank you for the information about the link length with comparison to your wrist size. Although I don't consider myself to have a 'flat-wrist' I think it should fit reasonably well seeing as all the feedback i'm getting is on a positive note.

Quote Originally Posted by jt67 View Post
    You're welcome - being slim wristed myself this was a topic I also researched when I first got into watches. As to alternatives, there are two that come to my mind (and hopefully other WUSers will come in with further suggestions), Casio Edifice and GShock aviators.

The Casio EQWM range I think have all the requirements you list, although I dont know about strap changing. There are non-resin and stainless steel versions too. I think these come closest to the Citizen AT. This one looks pretty cool IMO and is $500.

I have this G Shock Aviator, the GW3000 - which I bought to replace the GW4000 which was too big for me. I have seen these with other coloured straps and they come in other colour accents too. I suggest you ignore the reported dimensions which are larger than your specs and try these on for size. I found the 3000 and 3500 wore considerably smaller than the 4000 and 1000 on me.

Good luck!

Unfortunately i'm not partial to G-Shock watches. However the Casio Edifice you just showed me has a nice design in my opinion.

It's a few days before I will be able to make a final decision, but thanks again for your suggestions!
    Last edited by drew12; January 2nd, 2013 at 02:05.

Thread Information