The Watch Snob? - Page 2
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: The Watch Snob?

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Re: The Watch Snob?

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBuff View Post
    I always enjoy that column. However, when says "snob", he means it. There was a column a few weeks ago where he said that he wouldn't buy any watch priced between $1000 and $3500. Made no sense.

Actually, this DID make sense to me, as I had come to the same conclusion myself some time ago. I have nothing against watches in that price range, and for myself, I'd narrow that gap to 1500-3000. It's just that I would not want to pay that price range as I've come to realize you can get a many of those (that usually list for 2k) for under 1k anyway. Many a GLYCINE, or a LACO, for example.
    And if I was bent on spending $3,500 on a watch, I would just add another 500 - 1,000 to get to the next orbit altogether since the difference between among MOST watches in that range 1000-3500 comes down really to styling -- SINN and DAMASKO being the two notable exceptions -- and I'm just paying for their advertising. Of course, IF one likes the style of INVICTA Diver, with all the trimmings, by all means, one should pay $1500 and get one.
    But as for being a "snob" - as much we'd like to think that we're not, really, who could possibly resist the temptation of being one when confronted with someone who has spent 1.5K on a friggin' gold-plated Invicta , and is proud of it?
    Besides, a watch that costs beyond 3500 is no longer (just) a watch anyway: you're buying something else in the form of a watch.
    Last edited by Chronopolis; April 15th, 2010 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Actually, this DID make sense to me, as I had come to the same conclusion myself some time ago. I have nothing against watches in that price range, and for myself, I'd narrow that gap to 1500-3000. It's just that I would not want to pay that price range as I've come to realize you can get a many of those (that usually list for 2k) for under 1k anyway. Many a GLYCINE, or a LACO, for example.
    And if I was bent on spending $3,500 on a watch, I would just add another 500 - 1,000 to get to the next orbit altogether since the difference between among MOST watches in that range 1000-3500 comes down really to styling -- SINN and DAMASKO being the two notable exceptions -- and I'm just paying for their advertising. Of course, IF one likes the style of INVICTA Diver, with all the trimmings, by all means, one should pay $1500 and get one.
    I believe The Watch Snob made a similar comment concerning watches priced between $500-$1000 (USD). Or maybe I read that here on the forums... I forget.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Pretty funny - mostly pinch of salt stuff, but some on the mark. Had to laugh at his Bell & Ross comment. Kobold sprang to mind immediately. Dynamite marketing, powerpuff substance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like that accidentally made word: POWERPUFF !

Quote Originally Posted by Klostrophobic View Post
    Pretty funny - mostly pinch of salt stuff, but some on the mark. Had to laugh at his Bell & Ross comment. Kobold sprang to mind immediately. Dynamite marketing, powerpuff substance.

I like that accidentally made word: POWERPUFF !
    I got served!

The guy is pretty funny. It's word the time reading his stuff.

I'm looking to purchase my first real timepiece and don't know which way to go? I really like the [Panerai] Pam 88 (brown wristband), however, can I wear it with a black suit? Should I head in a different direction? Maybe an all-metal Tag for everyday and a brown-and-black leather classic Baume & Mercier for more formal wear occasions?

A detailed question. First things first: If you feel no shame in wearing a Panerai in public, then you certainly have large enough testicles to wear a brown strap with a black suit. All jokes aside, the Pam 88 is a modern-day classic, and well-made. However, if it is true that you are a person who does not like to follow the crowd, you need to remove Panerai from your purview immediately. It is the ultimate follower’s watch purchased by thousands of young suit-wearing professional types that have erections for their womanizing, bourbon-swilling and BMW-driving managing directors.
    *Seiko skx-007; *Seiko BM; *Orient CFT00004B; *Doxa sub 1200t DWL; *Zodiac ZO7008; *G-Shock DW-5600MS

On another forum he's known as the "Watch Cock". He knows horology, or rather, he knows how to read brochures and scour the interweb. Part of the schtick is to offend and insult with his prejudice and he (actually it's probably a "they") does that very well, although anyone going to a website called askmen.com for advice deserves everything they get ;).

the global watch nerdery ... a forum such as WatchUSeek.com
    Rofl

I agree with the poster above, it's a bunch of witty writers that came up with this uptight character. Entertaining read, nonetheless.
    Here's a link to save you the google search:
    http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches/

I think the watch snob is fantastic. There is a lot of merit on what he says, plus he is entertaining. If you take him with a pinch of salt, then you don't get offended - like Jeremy Clarkson.
    As an Example, the truth is, brands like Bell & Ross, TAG, Omega et al, are overpriced - they are all about the marketing. They all use the basis of a US$300 ETA movement (2824) & then charge you thousands.
    A Quote from the WS: "A watch is about the entire package, not just its appearance. Any large watch company not making its own movement is not making a watch at all; they’re just playing dress-up."
    The fact that Swatch Group are restricting mechanisms for the market, is a semi good thing, as the big watch houses are now starting to have to make their movement "in-house", e.g. Panerai. The ones who I do feel sorry for, are the small niches brands who sell an affordable priced watch using Swiss mechanism etc, but cater more for the everyday person who cannot afford an overpriced/overmarketed watch. These companies do not profess to be big brands, but they do offer something a little different - individuality.
    westlake likes this.

Re: 70% Entertaining, 30% Informatitive

Snobbery or not, a brilliant writer !
    Pretty decent writer, but he uses the word 'anyways' which is not actually a proper word.. especially for someone who writes for a living.
    SleepOm likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Paul

"Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat."

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information