Watch snobbery - Does it exist?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Watch snobbery - Does it exist?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Watch snobbery - Does it exist?

Slightly bizarre question but if a Breitling owner sees a G Shock owner, do they think less of them (as an example)?

I almost work on reverse snobbery (same with cars - Used to own a rather nice one, had to sell it due to vandalism, my World collapsed, I got a sensible car, and now enjoy not worrying about it!) but do appreciate a finely crafted watch.

For me a watch just needs to work without constant attention, look okay but not be "flashy" (gold a definitie no no) and take abuse without self destructing.

I only say this because I've noticed a refreshing LACK of snobbery on this website - Rolex owners also have G Shocks as an example - Make a nice change.

Re: Watch snobbery - Does it exist?

I don't know about snobbery but I do know that my PO rules all :)~

Watch snobbery DEFINITELY exists.
    I don't think (hope not anyway) ppl. look down on the OWNERS of what they perceive as lesser brands, but ppl. certainly look down on brands.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Absolutely. I think the average real WIS doesn't look down on lesser brands (as you say, they probably own a wide range themselves), but the huge majority of (non-WIS) prestige watch owners do. Most expensive watches are marketed and sold as status symbols (or marks of success, if you prefer), after all.

Good points already made (except about the PO - they suck! ha ha)

However, snobbery will always exist. The appreciation for a mechanical watch is probably not much different from an appreciation for art, and we all know how snobby art connoisseurs can be. Probably a lot of it has to do with a lot of money and not much refinement in taste, especially when the watch is meant to show off one’s wealth.

I also think we all draw the line at price vs. performance somewhere different. For many, that line stops at Timex, for others, it’s a Rolex Sea-Dweller, and for others it’s Patek or even something more exotic. I personally think blowing tens of thousands of dollars on a single watch is silly, but there are probably many more people who would look at my moderate watch collection with the same thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    Absolutely. I think the average real WIS doesn't look down on lesser brands (as you say, they probably own a wide range themselves), but the huge majority of (non-WIS) prestige watch owners do. Most expensive watches are marketed and sold as status symbols (or marks of success, if you prefer), after all.
    Most non-wis watch owners are only aware 3 or 4 brands of watches even exist.
    The snobbery is amongst the WIS.
    Case in point:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=52591
    I realise the above was done mainly in jest, but if I'm an Invicta guy, I'm unamused.
    Last edited by Tragic; March 5th, 2007 at 19:02.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

I agree that it exists. There's snobbery in all walks of life. I was once a watch snob, in fact I think I posted about that on this forum I'm not anymore though (as I sit here with a Precista PRS-18Q on one wrist and a G-Shock on the other)!! BTW, the 18Q is spot on after a week when compared to my atomic synced G-Shock. Great value quartz diver in a great Fricker made case.

The snobbery seems so silly to me now. What exactly defines "better" in a watch? If my G-Shock provides me with the functionality I need on a daily basis and a Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Patek, or whatever doesn't, then I'd say the G-Shock is better. Great mechanical movements in jewelry finished cases that cost thousands aren't "better" if they don't provide the functionality I want when I want it! And why do some think (and I used to be among this camp) that a mechanical movement is better than quartz if after a month the quartz has gained the amount of time the mechanical gained in a day? That to me is snobbery, or just holding on to a romantic emotional feeling about the past. Btw, I still think mechanicals are cool. I just don't want a lot of them.

So yeah, watch snobbery exits. It's alive and well, even among a lot of WIS.
    Pitty likes this.
    Wear what you like.

I am a reverse watch snob, and damn proud of it!

As can be seen by my "collection" in my signature, I only buy crap. :gold

I look down on anybody who buys quality!

Banned

It does exist, not just in watch collectig but sadly in life in general as well. I like the toughness and functions of my G-Shocks which I wear for work. But being a CNC machinist I can also look at a mechanical and appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship that goes into the design those watches.

I own a $15 Armitron that I wear while working dirty, I have a fake Fossil that I bought in Mexico for $10, I have a genuine Fossil bought from ROSS dept. store, and I also own a Armitron Collector Looney Tunes watch that is 12yrs old.

My name is Nick, and Im not a watch snob.
    - Nick

Cars or Watches... that is the question!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information