Watch story time!
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Watch story time!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Watch story time!

Share your best watch stories here.

Re: Watch story time!

The same year my family got our dog (Molly) I picked up this watch. I’ve always loved watches but for a long time didn’t wear one. Prior to this, I was going through a rough patch and kind of checked out of reality for a bit. Over the course of some time I pulled out of it and one day decided I didn’t want to lose anymore time. So I made the decision to get a watch and make every minute count. Sadly our dog passed away last September and I’ve decided to retire my watch. It wasn’t expensive, just your basic quartz field watch, but it reminds me of the pup I loved like a daughter. I’ll always keep that watch and think of her...all dogs go to heaven right? Pics below.

Name:  B39F23B4-98F5-4AF7-AE9F-89D227C4B5B0.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  2.78 MB

Name:  6CAC91D0-5878-4CE2-8AE8-DA3789EDE735.jpeg
Views: 53
Size:  2.73 MB

I have always kind of liked the Bertucci's, are they any good?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It’s the only watch I wore for ten years. Daily life, hiking, camping, building things, mud, sweat, water, etc. The only thing I’ve ever had to do was replace the battery a few times and a couple different straps. Great watch for the price.
    Cloneqwerty likes this.

I might have to get myself one, because i need a good beater

My watch story is one day I went to our neighbor's yard sale. I was about to leave when i spotted an old bank safe holding some cheap jewelry, so I asked how much the safe was, and they said a dollar. I bought it, and while I was walking home, I passed my dad, who was talking to a car guy down the street. He asked about the safe, and i said " I got it to put my growing watch collection in". He said, " so you are a watch collector huh? Well, I have a couple of watches I dont wear anymore, so you can have them". A while later, he came out of his house, holding a SS Seiko 6309- 8089, a wakmann diver chronograph, a seiko skx 007, and a westclox pocket watch. Those were my first mechanical watches at the time.

As a side note, I am currently wearing that Seiko 6309
    Stirling Moss likes this.

I was wearing a $40 Haverhills Digital /Analogue “flight watch” when I was 19 years old (1986) working at a 7-Eleven convenience store. One of my regular customers really liked it. He brought in some old watch to trade, and I said no. He said, well you can have this watch anyway.
    It was a 14k Gruen Curvex with faceted hidden lugs. It needed work, but I came out way ahead after repairing it.

I visited a watchmaker (again in 1986, a couple months after I turned 20) who worked out of his home. He had a beautiful steel LeCoultre 12-hour chronograph hanging on a peg board with a few other unremarkable pocket watches. I couldn’t get that LeCoultre out of my head.
    I returned to pick up the watches I had dropped off a few weeks before. The LeCoultre was still there. I asked, “do you ever sell any watches?” He replied, “no.” My heart sank. Then he said, “I do have this one nobody picked up after service.” The LeCoultre! “How much?” I asked. “The cost of the repair. $125.”
    I bought it, duh.

There’s other stories (like the lady at the garage sale who told me the Longines watch I examined was solid gold and had real diamonds, then told me she needed $5 for it), but nothing in the last 25-plus years.

Quote Originally Posted by wyspyr View Post
    ...all dogs go to heaven right?
    If they don't, I'll be lodging a sternly-worded complaint with the Management!

(Nice story and pics.)
    Cloneqwerty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    I was wearing a $40 Haverhills Digital /Analogue “flight watch” when I was 19 years old (1986) working at a 7-Eleven convenience store. One of my regular customers really liked it. He brought in some old watch to trade, and I said no. He said, well you can have this watch anyway.
    It was a 14k Gruen Curvex with faceted hidden lugs. It needed work, but I came out way ahead after repairing it.

I visited a watchmaker (again in 1986, a couple months after I turned 20) who worked out of his home. He had a beautiful steel LeCoultre 12-hour chronograph hanging on a peg board with a few other unremarkable pocket watches. I couldn’t get that LeCoultre out of my head.
    I returned to pick up the watches I had dropped off a few weeks before. The LeCoultre was still there. I asked, “do you ever sell any watches?” He replied, “no.” My heart sank. Then he said, “I do have this one nobody picked up after service.” The LeCoultre! “How much?” I asked. “The cost of the repair. $125.”
    I bought it, duh.

There’s other stories (like the lady at the garage sale who told me the Longines watch I examined was solid gold and had real diamonds, then told me she needed $5 for it), but nothing in the last 25-plus years.
    This is a wonderful WUS post! I’d love to see some pics of the watches you mention, but either way thanks for sharing.
    Tag Heuer Carrera Day Date ref WAR201E Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time ref WV2116 Tag Heuer Formula 1 ref WAZ2114 Tag Heuer Carrera Jack Heuer 81 ref CV5111Omega Speedmaster Tintin ref 311.30.42.30.01.004Omega Seamaster 300m ref 212.30.41.20.01.002
    Omega Planet Ocean 600m ref 232.32.46.21.01.005 Tudor Heritage Black Bay Black ref 79230N Rolex Submariner ref 114060 Rolex Explorer I Mk1 ref 214270 Eterna Kontiki ref 1220.41 Longines Legend Diver no date ref L3.674.456.2 Laco Cuxhaven ​ref. 862104

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information