Watch style based on occupation - Page 8
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Watch style based on occupation

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Watch style based on occupation

I'm in finance, so you think it would be a lot of Rolexes...

Nope. Apple Watch as far as the eye can see.

As a musician I'm into watches that tell the time in a creative way - as time is my canvas! Favorites definitely from Mr Jones Watches.. Seems to be no pattern though for others in the field.
    As a skier and hiker, I lean into the Casio / Suunto thing and these are everywherree.

I am a member of two uniformed organizations in public safety, but I often meet with civilians and the management and senior leadership levels. I match my watch choice with my dress of the day, so if it's uniformed, its something tactical and is generally recognized in conjunction with the uniform - they may not register the watch but they register the whole package and it creates an impression that lasts only about 10 seconds, but thats the most critical when meeting new people for the first time. If its a civilian or a group of them, usually in leadership positions, its suit and tie and one of my non-tactical dress watches - all analog - I don't go in for digital, except in the case of my smart watch and that I wear when meeting technical groups.

Its about knowing your audience and leaving the impression that you are professional, belong and people want you there. Dressing is one thing, but then when you get into serious office-management psyops (and I treat it that way) you mimic what the environment would best reward - an image of professionalism and competence, while being assertive but not overbearing or threatening. Pulling off the whole thing has turned into a bit of a hobby for me - I call it "positional awareness" and that's about understanding the hierarchy around you and adapting to it in such a way as to get your goals met.
    Seabee1, TomMullen, wyspyr and 1 others like this.
    So many watches to gather, so little time.

BSH Carolina 32

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrow911 View Post
    I am a member of two uniformed organizations in public safety, but I often meet with civilians and the management and senior leadership levels. I match my watch choice with my dress of the day, so if it's uniformed, its something tactical and is generally recognized in conjunction with the uniform - they may not register the watch but they register the whole package and it creates an impression that lasts only about 10 seconds, but thats the most critical when meeting new people for the first time. If its a civilian or a group of them, usually in leadership positions, its suit and tie and one of my non-tactical dress watches - all analog - I don't go in for digital, except in the case of my smart watch and that I wear when meeting technical groups.

Its about knowing your audience and leaving the impression that you are professional, belong and people want you there. Dressing is one thing, but then when you get into serious office-management psyops (and I treat it that way) you mimic what the environment would best reward - an image of professionalism and competence, while being assertive but not overbearing or threatening. Pulling off the whole thing has turned into a bit of a hobby for me - I call it "positional awareness" and that's about understanding the hierarchy around you and adapting to it in such a way as to get your goals met.
    I can't believe you'd take a pass on a decent G Shock, I rotate the 009 with my GD-350 and GWM5610. GD-350 is kinda big under my turnout coat but the GWM 5610 is sleek and very unobtrusive.
    Firecrow911 likes this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    I can't believe you'd take a pass on a decent G Shock, I rotate the 009 with my GD-350 and GWM5610. GD-350 is kinda big under my turnout coat but the GWM 5610 is sleek and very unobtrusive.
    Not an a bad idea, I just tend to lean towards analog as in my younger days I digital-watched myself to death (Sunnto's, Casio's). Also most of the senior leadership audiences I play to are "old-school" types. I'm promoting highly technical and modern solutions and concepts that sometimes challenge them, so I have to play the "old school guy who's modern-adapted but still one of them", so the analog plays to that psychology. A lot of them are retired military or have military/tactical/SAR/firefighting backgrounds so I prefer my Marathon (highly recognized by the senior military types, it breaks the ice instantly) or mid-tier divers with a tactical look or a dressy look (situational).

I suppose an older Casio look could do the same thing, but these guys associate Casio with their high school calculators. I suppose the mil types would recognize a g-shock but I simply don't pull those off well.

I prefer the Marathon or even my Tauchmeister Tuna-style steel, or my Traser for under my gear. I like the tritium for medicals when doing vitals in less than ideal lighting conditions. Structure fires, I dump my watch in the apparatus, I don't want anything metal on my wrist conducting heat, and I don't need it in there with me anyways. I suppose a resin plastic G-Shock would be good in that situation.
    Last edited by Firecrow911; May 1st, 2019 at 07:10.
    Seabee1 likes this.

BSH Carolina 32

I dont really want to talk about watches here, work sucks.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrow911 View Post
    Not an a bad idea, I just tend to lean towards analog as in my younger days I digital-watched myself to death (Sunnto's, Casio's). Also most of the senior leadership audiences I play to are "old-school" types. I'm promoting highly technical and modern solutions and concepts that sometimes challenge them, so I have to play the "old school guy who's modern-adapted but still one of them", so the analog plays to that psychology. A lot of them are retired military or have military/tactical/SAR/firefighting backgrounds so I prefer my Marathon (highly recognized by the senior military types, it breaks the ice instantly) or mid-tier divers with a tactical look or a dressy look (situational).

I suppose an older Casio look could do the same thing, but these guys associate Casio with their high school calculators. I suppose the mil types would recognize a g-shock but I simply don't pull those off well.

I prefer the Marathon or even my Tauchmeister Tuna-style steel, or my Traser for under my gear. I like the tritium for medicals when doing vitals in less than ideal lighting conditions. Structure fires, I dump my watch in the apparatus, I don't want anything metal on my wrist conducting heat, and I don't need it in there with me anyways. I suppose a resin plastic G-Shock would be good in that situation.

I'm of the mind that regardless of the watch I'm wearing, if I'm feeling it heat up under my turnout coat, I have other problems. I wear a watch mostly out of habit and because I either leave my cell at the house or in the rig, sometimes in a pocket but unreachable. It's not like I'm keeping track of time at a working fire, IC takes care of that.

Any seminar I've been to or any classroom training, I may be curious what watch the instructor or speaker is wearing but I'm not going to have a problem with what they're saying simply based on the watch they're wearing (unless it's an invicta or rolex, well okay they're one in the same but still...)
    Firecrow911 likes this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    I'm of the mind that regardless of the watch I'm wearing, if I'm feeling it heat up under my turnout coat, I have other problems. I wear a watch mostly out of habit and because I either leave my cell at the house or in the rig, sometimes in a pocket but unreachable. It's not like I'm keeping track of time at a working fire, IC takes care of that.

Any seminar I've been to or any classroom training, I may be curious what watch the instructor or speaker is wearing but I'm not going to have a problem with what they're saying simply based on the watch they're wearing (unless it's an invicta or rolex, well okay they're one in the same but still...)
    Not wearing it interior is precautionary, although the training burns tend to be hotter than the real thing. Either way I don't want to find it out after the fact.

I'm on first due in the right seat 80-90% of the time and can end up fast attack interior or mobile/static command role, on second due I get pulled into IRIT, WSO, Accountability/Entry Control/Sector Officer, so its a roll of the dice. If I am outside I find the watch very helpful.

I leave my phone in the rig as well. I've snapped an iphone and an S8+ in half having them in my pocket after going interior, so I've stopped pocketing my phones. Leave those in the rig too unless I am exterior. Classroom when I teach, I usually wear a diver or the 41mm TSAR. On the training fireground, one of my chronos for timing drills and evaluations. Its not unusual for me to take 2 watches to work with me, perhaps 3 depending on whats on the docket for the tour.
    Seabee1 likes this.

BSH Carolina 32

How many angels can sit on that lume circle on the seconds hand?
    With wings tucked or opened?
    With or without harps?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Im a priest and theologian - so tend to go pretty stealth ;)
    Attachment 14096731
    Simon likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Chronopolis: "How many angels can sit on that lume circle on the seconds hand?
    With wings tucked or opened?
    With or without harps
    ?"

7 - trust me on that one - i've talked to all of them -
    No wings, they are reserved only for Cherubim
    No Harps - generally Rickenbacker bass is the preferred instrument
    Last edited by Simon; May 1st, 2019 at 09:39.
    Chronopolis, Ted Rzad and Weetabix like this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information