Watch style based on occupation
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Watch style based on occupation

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Watch style based on occupation

I am making a career transition and it got me thinking about my watch styles. When I first started seriously collecting it was mostly dressy and field watches. I worked in a very clean and fairly dressy office work environment. I didn’t even own one diver. Then I spent the next 5 years in industrial/construction management and really stockpiled the divers. Just seemed to go better with the environment. Now I’m looking at another dressy office environment with a business-casual+ dress code and a lot of my divers might not be the best choice. Might have to get rid of some divers and go a little more formal. Anyone else do this?
    Never try to install spring bars in a hurry. -lvt

"Affordable" just means you end up spending the same amount of money, but end up with a greater number of watches. -MandoBear

Re: Watch style based on occupation

Yes was a patrol officer and detective so switched from divers, primarily Rolex, Omega, to two-tone Rolex gmt/sub. Went back to patrol and switched back to stainless rolex/omega. Just preferred over the "showier" gold/stainless look.

In practice, you can easily wear a modestly sized diver in an office.
    Even so nowadays I mainly wear my Nomos in the office. Dressed and yet a little playful.
    FBPB, gav1230 and steadyrock like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's 2019 ..you can show up at the office nearly looking homeless these days. The company doesn't want the possible lawsuit that could come from "enforcing" or criticizing your appearance. Wear what you want because it's most likely that no one is noticing and/or cares anyway.
    IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (stainless) - IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (white 18K) - Rolex Yachtmaster - Tag Heuer Limited Edition DiCaprio Aquaracer (Blue) - Edox Grand Ocean Day/Date - Eterna Kontiki Diver (Black) - Longines Hydroconquest (Black, Red bezel) - Certina DS Action (Black) - Victorinox Limited Edition 125th Anniversary Jubilee (Red), Collection State: Happily closed.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenotter View Post
    It's 2019 ..you can show up at the office nearly looking homeless these days. The company doesn't want the possible lawsuit that could come from "enforcing" or criticizing your appearance. Wear what you want because it's most likely that no one is noticing and/or cares anyway.
    Well, true, but it’s a sales management position with a very prestigious Fortune 100 company. I feel like I have to look a certain way to gain client confidence. It’s a pretty buttoned-up office just short of coat and tie. With the construction management job I felt I couldn’t look too foo-foo with fancy dress watches. I was all jeans, steel toe shoes and polo shirts. Now I think my divers might be a little too casual (except my Omega Bond SMP...that goes with everything!). It’s a good problem to have. Now I have an excuse to flip some pieces and explore different styles.

"Affordable" just means you end up spending the same amount of money, but end up with a greater number of watches. -MandoBear

I could wear any watch at work and no one would bat an eyelid.
    bigclive2011, Dan T., drhr and 1 others like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    I could wear any watch at work and no one would bat an eyelid.
    That is probably the correct answer. Maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to buy more watches since I don’t have many dressy office pieces.
    Bach563, 41Mets, eblackmo and 2 others like this.

Haven't had to change style too much but I stopped wearing homage watches to work when I started working with people who have the original.

Whether you need to change watch style for your new job probably comes down to what your customers are like and what you want your image to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Minorcollector View Post
    Well, true, but it’s a sales management position with a very prestigious Fortune 100 company. I feel like I have to look a certain way to gain client confidence. It’s a pretty buttoned-up office just short of coat and tie. With the construction management job I felt I couldn’t look too foo-foo with fancy dress watches. I was all jeans, steel toe shoes and polo shirts. Now I think my divers might be a little too casual (except my Omega Bond SMP...that goes with everything!). It’s a good problem to have. Now I have an excuse to flip some pieces and explore different styles.
    Honestly, I can't really think, in America, who would know up from down about your watch or who would even pay attention to one. I think in days past it was very "Important" ..shall we say. As you said later, you may just be looking for a watch. Get one that YOU love then know you're the only one thinking about it as you wear it. :^)
    WallyFreddie likes this.
    IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (stainless) - IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (white 18K) - Rolex Yachtmaster - Tag Heuer Limited Edition DiCaprio Aquaracer (Blue) - Edox Grand Ocean Day/Date - Eterna Kontiki Diver (Black) - Longines Hydroconquest (Black, Red bezel) - Certina DS Action (Black) - Victorinox Limited Edition 125th Anniversary Jubilee (Red), Collection State: Happily closed.

It really doesn't matter what watch you wear these days regardless of setting. The only 2 watches that would get noticed would be a Rolex presidential in gold, and a Rolex submariner.

Those 2 are the most recognized in the world and often imitated. Even than most wouldn't care to ask what watch you are wearing except for fellow watch people. I've worn a cheap movado and people noticed and thought it was nice. These days I wear my omega aqua terra and most people wouldnt know it's a 4k watch except me and watch enthusiasts.

I've worked retail most of my adult life, going into the military so itll be a solar g shock soon, then IT after my service years and I'll wear what I like and can afford.
    FBPB likes this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information