Watch subscriptions. Would you buy?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By dbostedo
  • 1 Post By drhr

Thread: Watch subscriptions. Would you buy?

Watch subscriptions. Would you buy?

Just floating an idea that seems like it's time may have come or at least be an option soon.

With the limited editions flowing readily from many watch manufacturers into the waiting hands of fans would anyone pay a subscription fee to be guaranteed an option to at least one of any future limited edition watch? Not a trifling sum, but rather a significant sum of money to acquire this option?

Would this business model work?

As a potential buyer what measures would you use to assess the worth of the subscription if it existed?

Give an example of a dream subscription scenario. Which manufacturer? Which watch lines would you follow?

Re: Watch subscriptions. Would you buy?

I'm hoping someone answers with an “it already exists” with details if so.

There is one out of New York. Eleven James is the name of it. Looks to be more upscale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Even with the increased possibility of getting my hands on an L.E. watch I’d sooner have total control over how I spent my money. Besides, I’d probably qualify for a L.E. Hublot.
    Zeroedout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CTesta View Post
    There is one out of New York. Eleven James is the name of it. Looks to be more upscale.

I don't think he's talking about renting watches, which is what Eleven James does. He's talking about subscribing to be on a preferred list to buy the watches. Or maybe the OP should clarify.
    Zeroedout likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Personally? No....not in regard to mainstream watch manufacturers. Now, if I could pay a small fee that guaranteed me access to any micro-brand release, and I could exercise that option at my convenience (within reason)...then it might be something I’d consider.

The problem for me, assuming I understand the premise, is that I don’t typically love LEs. If I do come across one I like but it’s sold out or on a wait list, it’s usually from a micro or a ridiculously spendy offering....and the majors tend to be hit-or-miss and years apart, so I wouldn’t put my money on any one brand for the long haul. In other words, I’d never pay a premium for access to Omega’s LE releases on the off-chance that they’ll eventually pop one that I like. The odds just aren’t in my favor.

The flip side of all this is that for most of the brands I’m interested in, I’ve spent time developing a relationship with my local ADs. I’ve already made the investment, and I hope if the time ever comes that there’s a “high-demand” model I gotta have, that “relationship” will pay some dividends.

But like I said, give me access to any micro-brand’s stuff at any time....I’d pay ya’ a “subscription” fee. I’d buy a Magrette Watermann or a Halios today...if I could get a brand new one, at original cost, directly from the maker.

Hope that makes some sense, and that I understood the premise correctly. If not, I apologize for the long-winded dribble.

Gotcha

Are you basically asking us if we would consider taking the kickstarter route for higher end LE watches? Akin to pre-orders such as online offers by Ball on exclusive models? Bypass the ADs? Yes, the model is out there, works well for some, unattractive to others (such as myself).

Maybe. . . for stuff like this (stolen pics of BP's newest 40mm LE) . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

dbostedo likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Fears Watch Company * Invicta * International Watch Company * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Thread Information