Watch Trends: Rose Gold In - Big Watches Out
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Watch Trends: Rose Gold In - Big Watches Out

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Watch Trends: Rose Gold In - Big Watches Out

FYI, found this article by Edward Faber (website):

New York—A penchant for rose gold and the receding popularity of oversized faces are just a few of the market tendencies cited in the March “Watch Trends” report from the Aaron Faber Gallery.

Released just a few weeks before the behemoth Baselworld watch and jewelry show kicks off in Switzerland, the report states that, in terms of long-term value, platinum is still the metal of choice among watch collectors. White gold, however, is beginning to cede its second-place position to rose gold, the use of which is growing in popularity in watches.

“Manufacturers have been promoting rose gold for nearly a decade, and it has finally captured the interest of the international market,” the report states.

In addition, the report cites a “return to scale,” as market demand for oversized sport watches, 44mm diameter or larger, slows. It’s a trend retailers who carry watches might want to make note of when stocking their cases. According to the report, the shift to smaller also presents an excellent opportunity for collectors of complications in the 36mm to 38mm range, such as Patek Philippe’s Refs. 3970, 5970 or 3940 to name a few.

The Aaron Faber report also notes that a number of iconic American-brand watches crafted between 1925 and 1960 are coming back on the market after being bought up in the 1980s and 1990s. American brands are defined as those whose design, materials and marketing were driven by the U.S. market or U.S. entrepreneurs, with Bulova, Longines, Hamilton, Gruen, Elgin and Benrus being among the most notable.

A few favorites cited by Aaron Faber include the Hamilton Electrics, with their asymmetric design and then-new technology that reflected the affluence and optimism of post-war America, and early engraved Elgins, Illinois and Hamiltons.

Located on Fifth Avenue and West 53rd Street in Manhattan, Aaron Faber Gallery New York has an extensive collection of 20th and 21st century fine jewelry as well as collectible watches. The gallery does appraisals, fine jewelry repair and restoration, estate buying and selling and consigns private collections for sale.

Edward Faber founded the gallery in 1974 and has been collection and presenting vintage watches since 1980. He is co-author of “American Wristwatches: Five Decades of Style and Design.”

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Re: Watch Trends: Rose Gold In - Big Watches Out

Must be the Mad Men effect?
    Fan of manual winds and German makes.

Yet another What's In and What's Out article.
    All this time I thought rose and all the other shades of gold were attractive and "In"......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Perfect - just what we need: the encouragement of more rose gold.

Personally, I'm tired of it. It went from classy to tacky pretty quick. It started as an intersting and attractive element, and now its played out and just annoying. You're not allowed to introduce a new model anymore unles it comes in a rose gold version.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biased&Critical View Post
    Perfect - just what we need: the encouragement of more rose gold.

Personally, I'm tired of it. It went from classy to tacky pretty quick. It started as an intersting and attractive element, and now its played out and just annoying. You're not allowed to introduce a new model anymore unles it comes in a rose gold version.
    It's a staple. Yellow gold is too bright, so manufacturers add a little copper to the formulation to warm the tone a tad to make the 3N shade. But rose is tacky you say? Geez, I wish I had know before I bought my VC Malte Grande....

Looks positively horrid on me with the new information in your post!

Janne likes this.

Oh man. I have a 44mm rose gold watch. I don't know what to do with myself.

Large isn't going away any time soon because Patek Phillippe sells a handful of sub 38mm watches. I mean, I know Patek has a large market share; I'm not sure, but I think they do average yearly sales of 400-600 million watches per fiscal quarter. (Wait no, that doesn't sound right....)

If anything, watches are continuing to get bigger. Rolex, the stick-in-the-mud itself, is rumored to be releasing a 44mm version of the Submariner. Will things taper off eventually? Yes. I doubt we'll be seeing watches over 50mm for much longer. But 44-48 will be in for a very long time.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

My guess is, the Asia effect. The Asian market is heavily biased to gold and physically smaller than the western markets. Asians who want gold, but want to stand out are going to love rose gold and companies trying to sell 45mm+ watches to a market with lots of 6.5" wrists is going to have a tough time....

You might be right, but Asians (Chinese to be specific) don't think a watch is a watch unless it's a 18kt solid gold Rolex.
    Fan of manual winds and German makes.

thanks for the interesting read however i think that i will remain the final arbiter of what remains in style
    Raza and Aliisloo like this.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

hah, a sales associate at tiffany's just recently told me that rose gold is in, but men prefer to call it red gold.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information