Watch value declaration error?

Thread: Watch value declaration error?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rxq

Watch value declaration error?

Hi, I've had a watch shipped to me. I've paid the duty & tax on it already, unfortunately, it was only after I discovered that the package was marked as higher than it should be.

I could request a refund on the taxes duties via snail mail, claiming the incorrect value is accessed, but it might be a while until I get my money back. Has anyone here have any luck with that before, or in other words, are they usually responsive.?

Edit: If it makes a difference, according to the original bill, I have already paid an Mwst.
    Last edited by Rxq; November 19th, 2009 at 21:34.

1. Victorinox Renegade (1999)
    2. Seiko 5 Superior SNZC27K1 (2007)
    3. Citizen SS Skyhawk A-T U600 (2008)
    4. Suunto Core 2009 Y/B (Replaced Y08 model)(2008-9)
    5. Chenevard Skeleton T22200 (Replaced MZI Corinth LGG) (2008-9)
    6. Millionsmart 1801 Flying Tourbillon SS (Replaced RG) (2009)
    7. Two time zone Skeleton (Modified 6497 Movement) (2009)
    8. Citizen Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater G900 (2009)
    9. Alpha Daytona S/B Chronograph
    10. PTS Tourbillon

Re: Watch value declaration error?

Quote Originally Posted by Rxq View Post
    Hi, I've had a watch shipped to me. I've paid the duty & tax on it already, unfortunately, it was only after I discovered that the package was marked as higher than it should be.

I could request a refund on the taxes duties via snail mail, claiming the incorrect value is accessed, but it might be a while until I get my money back. Has anyone here have any luck with that before, or in other words, are they usually responsive.?

Edit: If it makes a difference, according to the original bill, I have already paid an Mwst.
    Have you asked the canadian customs people what documentation might be required beyond your assertion to support a lower valuation? For example will the seller be required to resubmit an invoice?

The customs valuation on watches I have purchased has always been the purchase price. If the seller declared more than purchase price then the sales receipt should provide good support. If you are trying to value it for less than purchase price then you will have a long upward hill to climb.

The valuable tends to be based on the insured price for the shipment.
    Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rxq

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Have you asked the canadian customs people what documentation might be required beyond your assertion to support a lower valuation? For example will the seller be required to resubmit an invoice?

The customs valuation on watches I have purchased has always been the purchase price. If the seller declared more than purchase price then the sales receipt should provide good support. If you are trying to value it for less than purchase price then you will have a long upward hill to climb.
    No I havent asked. I do not know how to contact them yet, however I will be attaching a copy of my invoice when I send them the request.

The seller declared the watch's value much higher than the purchase price.
    Im not even sure if insurance was ever mentioned when I bought the watch.

Actually, to be fair, I do not know what the seller declared the value of the watch as. Only the tax form says I was taxed for a certain amount (higher than what I had originally paid for the watch).
    I tried checking the label of what the seller wrote as the value, but the post office glued the tax form on top of the that.
    I can only assume the seller made the error and I was taxed that amount by the post.

Edit:
    Actually I beleive the seller did attach some kind of invoice with my package. The price I paid includes an Mwst, I'm not suppose to be taxed for that, am I? (I do not know what an Mwst is, I assume its some kind of tax.) THe watch was purchase from a German seller.

For example, I paid $100 for the watch, the seller (on the invoice) declared the watch's price as $90, and the Mwst is$10.
    I should be paying only $90 in taxes & duties (to my government), correct?
    Being consistent with the real-life situation,the tax form on the package would say I was taxed $175 worth of duties and taxes.
    Last edited by Rxq; November 20th, 2009 at 03:54.

10. PTS Tourbillon

The CBSA postal import form on your package has a refund request form on the back. Have a look at this. Is the "value for duty (CAN$)" section incorrect? Fill out the form and send it back along with some proof of what you actually paid for the watch (e.g. print-out of eBay listing, PayPal receipt, etc.).

When I have to pay 'import duties ' on a watch sent to me from outside the EU (I am in the EU) the duties are IIRC on the value of the watch + the vat + the shipping costs !
    Plus on top of the import duties I have to pay a handling fee for the company taking care of the customs declaration ! Even when I did not have to pay customs duties I still had to pay these handling fees !

Paid over 70 euro taxes on a 300 usd watch last month...
    SKX007 / Casio GT001 / DW-5600E / DW-6600 / Breitling Transocean / Sinn EZM2 / Kemmner Seahorse

I don't know about Canada, in Europe taxes are calculated following:

Price + shipping cost = customs value. Import duty is calculated on customs value and VAT is calculated on customs value + import duty. For example if price was 90$, shipping 10$, import duty 10% and VAT 20%, calculation is following:

100$ customs value, 10$ import duty and VAT is 20% from 110$. The total taxes then is 32$.

I know customs office does not like when you show them invoice with smaller amount and ask to correct tax invoice after customs clearance, this is red flag for them to run complete check of transaction.

Rxq

I am about to send back my CBSA tax form.
    Do I just tell them the correct value of the watch including VAT, the value the watch excluding VAT, the correct total amount I paid (Watch+Mwst or VAT+Shipping), or

In other words, am I charged a tax and duty on
    The watch
    The watch + VAT
    The watch + VAT + Shipping
    The watch + Shipping
    ?
    Last edited by Rxq; November 20th, 2009 at 18:10.

10. PTS Tourbillon

The value for customs purposes is generally what you paid, as long as you're not trying to claim you "bought" a car from your buddy for $1 or something. If they inspect a package and decide the declared value is fishy, they can assign their own value.

You are charged sales tax and duty (if applicable) on the declared value of the package. In BC, it's 12%, and the duty would be 5% if they actually charged it. The refund you are requesting is probably 17% of the difference between the improperly declared value and the correct value. In addition to tax and duty, Canada Post charges $5 (or $8 for express) to COD the fees. If it comes by courier, there's either no charge (any air service), or ridiculous charges (UPS Standard, FedEx Ground). I assume this package came by Canada Post.

Rxq

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McBob View Post
    The value for customs purposes is generally what you paid, as long as you're not trying to claim you "bought" a car from your buddy for $1 or something. If they inspect a package and decide the declared value is fishy, they can assign their own value.

You are charged sales tax and duty (if applicable) on the declared value of the package. In BC, it's 12%, and the duty would be 5% if they actually charged it. The refund you are requesting is probably 17% of the difference between the improperly declared value and the correct value. In addition to tax and duty, Canada Post charges $5 (or $8 for express) to COD the fees. If it comes by courier, there's either no charge (any air service), or ridiculous charges (UPS Standard, FedEx Ground). I assume this package came by Canada Post.
    Does what I paid include or exclude the shipping?

That's correct. They charged me 5.3% GST and 7.3%PST though.

10. PTS Tourbillon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information