A watch for the very few
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: A watch for the very few

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A watch for the very few

I am already expecting many different reactions. I will accept that. But for now, here is a watch. It will be as useful as my helium escape valve on my Sea Dweller, or it's depth rating. It will be a bit more useful than a tachymeter on a Breitling. I was talking to a manager of mine about my GMT, and his thoughts were that watches were little more than jewellery. I was taken aback by this, but understood what he was saying.
    I started with the idea that this next watch was going to be a bit more. I started off with a story my ex told me. She would scuba dive and told me a story of a person who was cave diving without a guide rope and kicked up some silt and lost any reference of up and down. The story was that he died when he couldn't find the exit and ran out of air. That was the story, so I came up with this. A watch with a built in level. A concave crystal below the flat top crystal. In between the sealed pair of crystal is a ruby bearing. This assembly sits above watch face. This stack up makes the watch tall, but the tall walls also increase the strength of the case. The only parts not titanium are the solid band bars, and the hardware. I deleted the spring bars, using screws, two double tapped rods and loctite 242. The band is leather and is a easily swapped 24mm. The movement is a 2824 copy, Seagull, and although I wish the winding rotor was a bit more snug, it will do. I am learning how to mount the movement, the hands, and size the stem. The crystal assembly has compression o rings on each end, the bottom has two concentric o rings. and the bezel has one. The crown guard was designed to support stem even when being wound, and is supported by the two brass stand offs. I didn't want to rely solely on the screws for support. The hands were thrown in just to test the whole system out. Sorry, their has been many hours involved with this watch. I like many other watches, I just don't get inspired by them when I design. Any similarities are purely coincidental. It is light, smaller than it looks because of my thin wrists, and the crown guard is not noticeable.

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by john800; October 27th, 2016 at 02:46.

Re: A watch for the very few

Sweet! Get an Isofrane or other rubber strap for it and a good set of matching hands, then go for a dive.
    john800 likes this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

You've come up with a novel way of solving a ridiculously niche problem, but it could in theory save a life, so good on you!
    john800 likes this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice work!!
    john800 likes this.

pretty cool, and nice feature that I would never have thought the need for, especially on earth.

When I first looked at the pictures, I thought the one thing off was the hands, so was glad to read they're just temporary mockup. Love the snow flake hands, love the plongeur hands, but together... not so sure, haha.
    john800 likes this.

that's awesome, and this is a huge aspect of why I love the world of watchmaking; the innovation that goes into it
    john800 likes this.

Great work!!!
    john800 and Khoi Nguyen like this.

The story of the cave diver kicking up silt and losing his way is true, there are many documented cases of divers getting lost in caves and running out of air. However unless a diver is in a total state of panic it's not easy to get so disoriented the he cannot tell up from down because all he needs to do is observe his own bubbles or see/feel how his equipment and weights hang around him. BTW in order for the level to work, shouldn't the concave crystal sit above a flat crystal, and not the other way around?

Edit: Sorry just noticed the level works with a ruby bearing between the two crystals. I had wrongly assumed it worked like a spirit level.
    Last edited by obomomomo; October 27th, 2016 at 06:11.
    john800 likes this.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

That's a funky design, but still very cool!

-MLJinAK.
    john800 likes this.

When my dad bought a betamax video player ( its gonna be the next big thing, he said ). We got a cave diving video thrown in. It was all about how some caves are so sedemented, that when you swim and kick it up, you become blind.
    Anyway they spooled out down the cave and you can actually see the body of a diver curled up against the wall after he suffocated years before. Its like Everest, you walk past lots of dead bodies because its far to difficult to remove them.
    So its true, I've seen the evidence, I was 12 and it was just the sort of gruesome that appeals at that age.
    Cool watch too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information