Watch virgin attracted to Breitling. Be gentle...
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Watch virgin attracted to Breitling. Be gentle...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Watch virgin attracted to Breitling. Be gentle...

So I've been exploring this site as I look to learn a bit before buying a replacement for my 20 year old Tissot PRS200. Actually, my thought is to buy something to wear on the 3-4 days per week that I'm not working. I seem to be drawn to Breitling watches, specifically the Avenger Blackbird, Colt Chronograph Black Steel and Avenger II. I have some general questions, as well as Breitling specific questions, and figured I'd post here to get a wider perspective. Thanks in advance for any advice.

General Questions:

I think I have a decent handle on the pros and cons of buying from the gray market vs from an AD. That said, there seem to be a few self- described independent collectors that have large collections that they're selling for discounts, yet somehow offer a manufacturer warranty. A few of them seem to have long history and a solid rep built over time on this forum, an others, so I would think that mitigates some of the risk.

How are they able to offer the warranty while the gray market cannot?

Are there any potential issues with these warranties being honored?

Are there any downsides to buying watches from these "indie" collectors/sellers, besides the obvious increased risk vs. an AD?

Breitling Specific Questions:

How reliable and durable is this brand overall, and the watches I'm considering (Breitling Avenger Blackbird, Colt Chronograph Black Steel, Avenger II)?

What is the cost of ownership after purchase (routine service, etc.)?

How often is routine service for these types of automatic watches -- once every 4 years or so?

Can routine service be done at any AD or must the watch be sent to a central Breitling facility?

What have people's experiences been with Breitling warranty and non-warranty service post purchase? I worry about this as I am driving distance from their CT facility and the on line reviews are primarily atrocious. And yes, I do understand that we're more likely to post negative experiences on line in general which is why I was looking to get a broader perspective.

As much as I love the black Breitlings, I worry about how they will wear over time and how durable the finish is. What have people's experience been? Is there any way to protect the finish or repair them after minor damage?

Why are Breitling bands so expensive (even canvas, etc.)?

Are there issues with swapping out straps/bands with non Breitling bands?

Re: Watch virgin attracted to Breitling. Be gentle...

Never owned one, but wanted to welcome you to the insanity. You are never going to be the same now.

Just buy what you like, don’t sweat the small stuff. They have been around forever, Tudor just signed on to use their chronograph movements, all signs that they are good.
    The Iron Horse likes this.

Welcome. Mine says welcome also...Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  2.18 MB
    The Iron Horse and meson1 like this.
    A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure. - Lee Segall

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've owned a lot of Breitling watches and for the most part loved them all.

These were my favs.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Breitling is a very well known brand. If some of your questions are unanswered when I get home I'll try to help out.

Welcome to the forum! I don't own any breitlings but I love the navitimer, superocean heritage 2 and transocean (I like the classic design more)
    I believe they are as tough as a Rolex or Omega and for the servicing cost, I believe you can check that on breitling website

Ive never owned a Breitling but if you end up getting a Navitimer 01, feel free to write a review. Ive always wanted one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBD

Guys like Jomashop and Ashford have their own repair facilities for warranty work. These repair guys may be 3rd-party watchmakers.

I've had mostly positive experiences with these guys...do a search on these very forums to learn more about a specific seller.

They downside to using these sellers is that repairs down the road will come from your pocket. You also miss the "AD experience" which can include some nice discussion, perhaps some champagne, and a much higher price.

The 3 models you listed use standard Swiss movements with slight modification and custom decoration -- they should be serviceable by any good watchmaker. You may also send your watch into Breitling themselves (they won't reject it for being grey market, they'll just charge you for service) though there have been mixed reports lately regarding their customer service.

Regarding bands -- you can certainly use most aftermarket 22mm bands on these. Their canvas bands and accompanying clasps are very nice, though I agree they are overpriced...but then again, this is often the case with luxury watches of this tier or above.

Breitlings are plenty robust enough to last for years. Check out the Breitling forum here...plenty of members have 15+ year old Breitlings going strong.
    'I flip my watches and I cannot lie, so many choices and I can't decide.' -- Sir WIS-a-lot

Thanks. I'm sure that I sound a bit neurotic, but this is a significant amount of $ for me so I'm trying to make an educated decision.

Quote Originally Posted by anrex View Post
    Welcome. Mine says welcome also...Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  2.18 MB
    Thanks! Beautiful TCUP and quite the collection.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information