Which watch to wear

Thread: Which watch to wear

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which watch to wear

I only have two watches (so far): a Kobold Phantom and a UTS 1000m. I would like any thoughts as to which watch would go better with a suit. I have taken a promotion at work and will need to dress much better than I now do. Oh, and getting a new, dressy watch is not an option - the wife has made that explicitly clear. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Re: Which watch to wear

Well, neither is a great compliment to a suit, but the 1000m diver is at least the traditional s/s color. I say UTS, especially if you put it on a nice caldfskin strap from DeLaurian
    2DARK Hardwood Watch Boxes are the real deal

Really want an opinion? Like Mr2blue said, neither are suit watches. If you want a cheap solution,look at a Seiko 5 or something similar. No one will know that it's not an expensive watch, but they won't be put off either by the inappropriateness of a huge watch bulging out from under your shirt sleeve.

It's one thing to "make a statement" once you have the job. It's yet another to look the part of conservative to get it.
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree that neither watch is ideal for a suit but I would like to wear one anyway. I do have a tan lizard strap from Delaurian on order (when he gets back from vacation). I think the UTS with that strap would do... until such time that I can convince mywife that I really do need a more appropriate watch.
    Scott

There's a guy called Dave Knoll on TZ. He's pretty well known throughout the watch world. Dave has a really biting sense of humour. He's a Rolex guy in some ways, but also a very knowledgeable watch connoisseur.

One of his stories about the appropriateness of dive watches with a suit is something like the following:

"Whenever an employee walks into my office wearing a dive watch, I'm inclined to ring my secretary to see if he left his fins and set of doubles out in the lobby". :-D

That UTS is a big watch. What do you want your employeer or employees to be looking at - your watch or your presentation? I guess that's for you to decide.
    Last edited by BruceS; September 17th, 2006 at 03:20.
    Wear what you like.

It's kind of funny about my UTS. One of the guys I work with now thinks that if it isn't Rolex then it doesn't count. FYI, it took him months to notice my UTS, and he's the only one in the office who ever noticed. Oh well... maybe I can convince my wife that I need something dressy.

OK, here goes. What should I look at if my budget is less than $500?
    Scott

Limes or Stowa. You'll find some good ones. I'll also still push the Seiko 5 series. Tell ya what mate, unless you work in a really upity company NO one is going to notice your watch unless it's out of proportion or just plain ass blingey. Get something no more than 40mm and thin...very thin. You only have to wear it at work
    Bon Chance,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

i'll second the seiko. hmmm...$500 is quite a jump up from your initial post of not being able to spend any money.

i would not wear the kobold or the uts with a suit, not when you can find an inexpensive dress watch for a fraction of the price that you paid for the forementioned two.

there's a seiko spirit dress watch can be had for a little under $300. very classy looking and looks very similar to the much more expensive Grand Seiko. there are quite a lot of different dress watches to choose from the $100-$300 range if you're willing to expand the search to quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS
    Limes or Stowa. You'll find some good ones. I'll also still push the Seiko 5 series. Tell ya what mate, unless you work in a really upity company NO one is going to notice your watch unless it's out of proportion or just plain ass blingey. Get something no more than 40mm and thin...very thin. You only have to wear it at work
    Bon Chance,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen
    i'll second the seiko. hmmm...$500 is quite a jump up from your initial post of not being able to spend any money.

i would not wear the kobold or the uts with a suit, not when you can find an inexpensive dress watch for a fraction of the price that you paid for the forementioned two.

there's a seiko spirit dress watch can be had for a little under $300. very classy looking and looks very similar to the much more expensive Grand Seiko. there are quite a lot of different dress watches to choose from the $100-$300 range if you're willing to expand the search to quartz.
    I bought a gold plated quartz Hamilton for this purpose. Nice case and dial, beautiful bracelet, $75.

I never thought I'd say this, but Invicta makes fairly attractive, inexpensive watches.
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information