Watch to Wear during the Most Important Moments of Your Life
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Watch to Wear during the Most Important Moments of Your Life

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watch to Wear during the Most Important Moments of Your Life

Hello, I'm a new member. I was lurking for a week before I created an account. I was looking to buy my dad a gift for his birthday and I wanted to make sure I would get the best watch for my money. Long story short, I got addicted to watches thanks to all your brilliant posts and pictures. Love the contributions on this forum. I bought 3 watches in less than a week (FYI, I had only 1 old quartz Swiss Legend watch), they were all within $600 each, I still haven't decided on my grails (Watches $3000+) yet and have not made a big purchase. And I got to thinking, if I was spending above $3000 for a good watch, I would like to wear it during a defining moment in my life, in my case, I was thinking about a Wedding. What watch would I wear on my wedding in the future? So, my question to you all is this, on your wedding (you could go back in time, if you are already married) , what watch would you wear? If you did not own the watch, would you have gone out and bought it? What watch would you want to pass on to your kids when they are adults and ready to be on their man/woman? What watch would you wear in the coffin on your funeral? In this case, I would allow you to take 2 watches just because I figured if I'm dead, the last thing I would care about is how I'd look wearing a watch on each wrist :)

Re: Watch to Wear during the Most Important Moments of Your Life

I don't think I'd want to wear a nice watch when being buried, I'd tell them just to leave me bare-wristed. Unlike a nice suit, which cannot always easily be adjusted to fit another person in your family, your son or daughter can definitely wear your watch. So while I would not mind the waste of burying me in one of my suits, I would not want my watch to suffer the same fate.

The one that I'll be wearing at my wedding and also most likely will be passed to the kids (fingers crossed) is my one and only luxury watch buy at this point, the JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon.
    Gary123 likes this.

I have a watch that I wear for serious events, both solemn and celebratory. It was my father's dress watch, and I put it on for important moments. I wore it for my father's funeral and for my wedding. It just seems to be the statement I want to make (if only to myself) at important life events. It is not my favorite watch, nor the most valuable, but to me, it is the most serious, and the one which best reflects my respect for the moment. I hope to wear it for my stepsons' weddings. I've worn it to too many funerals.

As for my funeral, I don't think time will be important anymore. I hope to give my best watches to my boys, some time before I go, so that I can enjoy them wearing them.

As for the gift for you father ... good for you. Choose quality, but not necessarily expensive. What will make it special is that it is from you.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

usa

I'd probably wear the watch I don't plan to sell down the road. When a watch is worn on special events (marriage, birth of a child ...) there will be sentimental value to it so there will be less excuse to sell it.

That said, if a watch has a chance to take my attention away from the special event that I know I should not be wearing it. My attention should be on the special event (once in a lifetime) so no matter how nice the watch is, it's still a watch and it should not take away my attention of the precious moment.

I am a burglar by trade, and I make sure to where my best watches during when I break in.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

When I got married I was so poor I didn't think about watches. Probably wore my Timex Electric as that was all I had back then aside from a pocket watch from 1901.
    When a child is born you got a lot more on your mind than co-ordinating a watch dial with your outfit.
    When I'm dead I'm hoping they pass my watches on to my grandson. No point wasting one in a closed coffin.
    Ozy likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I hope this is a joke? A not very funny joke to boot.
    Last edited by RBrylawski; September 3rd, 2012 at 00:18.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by weaverthebeaver View Post
    I am a burglar by trade, and I make sure to where my best watches during when I break in.
    Possibly the most bizarre post I've ever read on here.
    omega1234 likes this.

I bought a vintage mustang the week before I was married so their wasn't any money for a watch.

I think my Planet Ocean would have looked nice with my tux on wedding day trouble is Ive been married for three years and have owned the PO for one.

Quote Originally Posted by l2chiu View Post
    Hello, I'm a new member. I was lurking for a week before I created an account. I was looking to buy my dad a gift for his birthday and I wanted to make sure I would get the best watch for my money. Long story short, I got addicted to watches thanks to all your brilliant posts and pictures. Love the contributions on this forum. I bought 3 watches in less than a week (FYI, I had only 1 old quartz Swiss Legend watch), they were all within $600 each, I still haven't decided on my grails (Watches $3000+) yet and have not made a big purchase. And I got to thinking, if I was spending above $3000 for a good watch, I would like to wear it during a defining moment in my life, in my case, I was thinking about a Wedding. What watch would I wear on my wedding in the future? So, my question to you all is this, on your wedding (you could go back in time, if you are already married) , what watch would you wear? If you did not own the watch, would you have gone out and bought it? What watch would you want to pass on to your kids when they are adults and ready to be on their man/woman? What watch would you wear in the coffin on your funeral? In this case, I would allow you to take 2 watches just because I figured if I'm dead, the last thing I would care about is how I'd look wearing a watch on each wrist :)
    I would recommend against buying a watch designed just for a special occasion. Chances are it will only be rarely used again. Just use a conservative dress watch or better yet go watch less for a wedding. No one will notice...trust me. If I was to replay my wedding from back in 1966 I would wear exactly the same watch. The one I received as a high school graduation present and still have. We were poor and struggling to get me through college and and an extravagance like a watch was out of the question.

I think about my watches in terms of whether I will enjoy them and not whether they will be enjoyed by the next generation. I assume the next generations will do as I have which is to document and enjoy inherited jewelery as remembrances of family members but rarely if ever wear them. Chances are the watch styles of today will be seen by subsequent generations as interesting but quaintly out of date just as pocket watches are.

I think it would be an absolute waste to be buried with anything of value. Chances are your heirs will do otherwise if your pre-death request is to be buried with watches.
    Last edited by John MS; September 3rd, 2012 at 04:27.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information