Watch for the wife (Hockey Broke her watch!)

Thread: Watch for the wife (Hockey Broke her watch!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Watch for the wife (Hockey Broke her watch!)

Hey all,

My wife broke her Folex (we didn't buy the fake specifically, it was in an estate lot we bought) last night banging on the glass while watching the Atlanta Thrashers stomp all over the Washington Capitols (Thats us off to the left. me in the jersey, and her in the blue shirt)

anyway, we need to find a replacement. She's in school to become a marine biologist, so I'm thinking a dive watch, or at least something with reasonable WR (>100m) that she can shower, and swim in. Problem is, she doesn't like rotating dive bezels. We're also on a tight budget, so <$200US would be the maximum, cheaper is better. OH! And, I've got her brainwashed to be a movement snob, so no quartz!

Thanks! :thanks
    Last edited by Bleh; March 18th, 2009 at 01:31.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Banned

Re: Watch for the wife (Hockey Broke her watch!)

You are just such a nice guy! Every woman deserves a husband as thoughtful as you (except the trollop ones).

Time to un-brainwash, my friend! Haven't you caught the zeitgeist??? The winds of change are upon us, and quartz is becoming cool again.

I just bought my gf a Baby-G, (bg90). 100m WR, Mineral crystal, world time, many alarms and stop watches and timers and like that. Super cute. I reckon they're about US$50 online! And if she doesn't like that particular model, they are like 50 others to choose from, before you start thinking about colour options.

It sounds like you're working for your watch. CONTEMPORISE, Man!!!

Orient has 40% off at their website. Use save40 at checkout. Some great deals on their dive watches, and they have free shipping. The deal is better than ebay because you are buying direct from manufacturer, so warranty is a non issue
    In the Box:

Vintage Patek Phillippe Vintage Concord Vintage Omega Vintage Movado Sub-Sea Kingmatic
    Rolex SS Submariner Date Omega SMP Bond Black Tag Heuer 2000 Series CE1120
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic BE Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Titanium "Mad Cow"
    Ball Fireman Storm Chaser Pro Ball BMW Classic BK Ball Engineer III Legend
    Rado Ceramica Multifunction Rado Sintra Jubile' Movado Eliro Accutron VX200
    Bathys 100 Fathoms Oceanus 5 Motor OCW-600 Citizen Skyhawk Titanuim
    Dievas Divergraph Pro Blue Seiko Orange,Black"Monster" Purple "Night Monster"
    Orient Orange,Yellow,Blue,Black"Mako" Orient Power Reserve CEX0R001W
    Swiss Legend Atlantis 1000m Sector 200 Pulsar PF3 Series Chrono Fossil Chrono CH-2464
    Theorema "Monte Carlo" Skeleton Alpha Omega "Bond" Homage
    Casio G-Shock DW5600C Rare Japan V case back

....and still growing with a lot of Ball's

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    You are just such a nice guy! Every woman deserves a husband as thoughtful as you (except the trollop ones).

Time to un-brainwash, my friend! Haven't you caught the zeitgeist??? The winds of change are upon us, and quartz is becoming cool again.

It sounds like you're working for your watch. CONTEMPORISE, Man!!!
    She's not lookin' for a watch to be cool to others, she's lookin' for a watch that's cool to her. She's never like to wear watches, but that folex got her liking them, but only because it had a 28,800 bph ETA in it. She now is used to wearing a watch, and does like the mechanical movements, largely because i've repeatedly told her about all the engineering in them. She feels the same about quartz as I do. They're ok, I don't have a problem with others enjoying them but they have no appeal to me.

And I'm looking for my watch for sure, but only because I get to buy one from wherever we get hers, to save on shipping (She knows I'm itching to get a new one anyway). This watch is for her. I'm asking for suggestions for LADIES watches (Small ones).
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |

If you're willing to look at vintage watches, try to find one with the ETA 2671 movement. This movement was used in the Rolex Lady's Oysters and is a high quality movement. It was also used in the Zodiac Lady's Sea Wolf.

As women's vintage dive watches are rare to find it may take a while, but if you find one you should be able to buy one and including a complete service be out the door for $250-$200.

Here's a pic of the one my wife has.

BTW, the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf is the matching men's version which was produced. A nice piece to collect, and a good way to rationalize getting a collectable diver for yourself!
    Last edited by Ray916MN; March 18th, 2009 at 04:51. Reason: added pic and comment.

Maybe a Tissot?

My Collection --> Click Here

Your wife sounds totally awesome. Maybe you can get her to join WUS?

Jeannie

Banned

I'm not sure a vintage dive watch is the ideal suggestion for a marine biologist!

Bleh, I wasn't suggesting that your wife wants a watch to be cool, just that I was once like you but having opened my eyes to the world of quartz there is now no way I'm wanting a mechanical watch in the field. For going out, sure a mechanical is swish, but in the field I want at the very least to be able to time things accurately, ideally time more than one thing, I want water resistance, reliability (it's my arse and $$$ on the line!). And a light really comes in handy. And it's just GOTTA have an alarm, goes without saying.

I love my mechanicals as much as anyone but, as scientist, I need a genuine tool watch. And mechs just don't cut it. There's a reason I'm wearing my G today!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    If you're willing to look at vintage watches, try to find one with the ETA 2671 movement. This movement was used in the Rolex Lady's Oysters and is a high quality movement. It was also used in the Zodiac Lady's Sea Wolf.

As women's vintage dive watches are rare to find it may take a while, but if you find one you should be able to buy one and including a complete service be out the door for $250-$200.

Here's a pic of the one my wife has.

BTW, the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf is the matching men's version which was produced. A nice piece to collect, and a good way to rationalize getting a collectable diver for yourself!

I hear ya there, mr recliner, but I figure if a mechanical was good enough for Cousteau and everyone else before the '70's, it's good enough for us. I mean, sure, if we get to a point where we're going to need sub second accuracy, we'll probably get a stopwatch, or a g, but for daily wear (remember, neither of us have graduated yet), a mech will be just fine.

Vostok amphibia?

Has a rotating bezel but it does have an auto movement a decent wr rating and it's an interesting watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information