This watch will make you dizzy! & Do double rotors actually provide more energy?

Thread: This watch will make you dizzy! & Do double rotors actually provide more energy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This watch will make you dizzy! & Do double rotors actually provide more energy?

Hi WUS,

So I came across on the net one Perrelet Turbine. The dial has a rotor designed like a turbine but it can be quite distracting for some. Now, Perrelet has been making rotors on the fronts of their watches for years. But, my question is, do double rotors actually make a marked difference in energy attainment compared to having the standard one rotor on the back of an automatic watch?

YouTube - Perrelet Turbine Watch Video
    Best,

Tempvs

Banned

Re: This watch will make you dizzy! & Do double rotors actually provide more energy?

I can't see how an extra rotor makes a difference with one mainspring. It can only be wound so far, and the winding rate can only be so efficient. There's nothing a dual rotor set-up can do that a single rotor system can't also do. It's all for show.

Re: This watch will make you dizzy! & Do double rotors actually provide more energy?

I was wondering the same thing - I spoke with my local AD who says the dial rotor does contribute to the winding of the watch. I agree it probably doesn't make the winding process any more efficient, or noticeably faster, but from what my AD says the turbine actually is a working feature that contributes to the mechanics of the watch. I had thought it was just a free-spinning device that did nothing but spin for aesthetics.

Just my opinion, but I like the Perrelet Turbine - very cool looking. I'd wear one.
    Movado Museum Moderna
    Fortis Flieger
    Ebel Chronograph El Primero
    1954 IWC 852c.
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Theoretically, the increase in mass will provide greater winding efficiency. However, as ulackfocus notes, there is only so much winding to do. This is more of a gimmick than anything else. From what I know, wearing an automatic watch when you are moderately active will, once the watch is wound up properly (a day or two at most), keep the mainspring wound between 85% and 100%. This would not change if you were to wear a Perrelet, and given the quality of modern mainsprings, this would not change the time-keeping qualities of the movement in any meaningful way.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

All said above is true. Perelett maximizes what is so awesome about automatic watches with great design & awesome visual marketing, especially in this example.

I love both the double rotor and the turbine series and hope to be an owner one day.

The crown design on the Turbine is absolutely awesome!!!

Edited to add: you can get it in a 50mm case now!
    Last edited by JayVeeez; December 27th, 2010 at 00:57.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JayVeeez View Post
    Edited to add: you can get it in a 50mm case now!
    I did kind of like it - until you told me this.

Quote Originally Posted by TempusExMachina View Post
    Hi WUS,

So I came across on the net one Perrelet Turbine. The dial has a rotor designed like a turbine but it can be quite distracting for some. Now, Perrelet has been making rotors on the fronts of their watches for years. But, my question is, do double rotors actually make a marked difference in energy attainment compared to having the standard one rotor on the back of an automatic watch?

YouTube - Perrelet Turbine Watch Video
    Double rotors were designed to look interesting and sell watches. Perrelet has not provided any information that shows the double rotor is any more effective at winding than a single rotor. The only way for the double rotor to improve the winding would be to increase the speed at which the the spring is wound. I suspect that what Perrelet has is two smaller lighter rotors that deliver approximately the same winding ability as a single rotor.

I like the design, but it's tooooo big!

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    I did kind of like it - until you told me this.
    My thoughts exactly. Like a child's pinwheel on your wrist.
    Praise without end for the go ahead zeal
    Of whoever it was invented the wheel;
    But never a word for the poor soul's sake
    That thought ahead, and invented the brake

It's just there for the bezel and pushers players to gawk at.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information