Watch winders and movement consistency

Thread: Watch winders and movement consistency

Question Watch winders and movement consistency

Hello all,

I just purchased a watch winder and was wondering if setting a watch, then leaving it on a watch winder would give you a good indication of the consistency of the watch movement since theoretically there would be no variation in the watch motion over a period of time (days, weeks) as there would be in real life...

Thanks for any info.

Paul

stuffler,mike

Re: Watch winders and movement consistency

Quote Originally Posted by pmsar35 View Post
    Hello all,

I just purchased a watch winder and was wondering if setting a watch, then leaving it on a watch winder would give you a good indication of the consistency of the watch movement since theoretically there would be no variation in the watch motion over a period of time (days, weeks) as there would be in real life...

Thanks for any info.

Paul
    No. If your winder moves permanently the spring will always be wounded at the given (same) status, no run off though and therefore a "default" consistency. On the other hand no gain and no loss but you´ll never get to know if your watch is accurate on the normal run.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    No. If your winder moves permanently the spring will always be wounded at the given (same) status, no run off though and therefore a "default" consistency. On the other hand no gain and no loss but you´ll never get to know if your watch is accurate on the normal run.
    Thanks Mike, I haven't put my Marathon SAR-D on the winder yet, but I know that if I wear it continuously (on my wrist) it gains 1.5 to 2 seconds per day and more than that if I don't wear it all day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It should be a good indicator of consistency. It should run consistently +- X on the winder if it is a watch that runs consistently. It may run -2 on the winder and plus 10 on your wrist, but it should run consistently on the winder.

I've timed a lot of watches on wrist and winder and if it is consistent on the winder it will likely be consistent on the wirst, and vice versa.
    Todd H
    "Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day..." - Pink Floyd
    Disclaimer: The contents of this post are solely the well-meant ramblings of its author, and any resemblance to fact, intelligent thought, or even educated opinion is purely coincidental.

Keepers: Omega Seamster Pro, Fortis B-42, Eterna Super Kontiki, Ball DM1012B, DJR Chronoscope, Ocean7 LM-1LE, Seiko 6105, Seiko SKZ214

Thread Information