Is this watch worth repairing?

Thread: Is this watch worth repairing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this watch worth repairing?

I got this Tudor watch from my father which he has had since 1977. The case has corrosion and the gold plate is flaking off, and the crystal is cracked. Other than that it seems to run well and the dial and hands appear to be in good condition. Any comments on whether it's worth repairing would be appreciated.

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Re: Is this watch worth repairing?

The case can be re-plated for something like $1-200. The lens is a routine repair. The crown and stem need attention as they don't look original to this watch. With a sound movement, such as you find in a Tudor, $4-600 spent on restoration, would not be over investing. Get an estimate. Check out the second hand market for similar models and form a view. The sentiment attached to your father's watch may be worth much more to you. We aren't to know. But a fine watch in good order is a joy to wear and honors his memory every day you have it in your possession.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

I think you should go for it. It will be back good as new. Like SnapIT said, the sentiment is worth much more.
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a nice looking watch. I would do it if it were me.

Thanks for the comments, perhaps i'll get a quote. I'm sure the crown and stem are original as my father bought the watch new and it never left his possession. The crown is signed with the Rolex symbol. But it wont screw down onto the thread, maybe because of the corrosion, or perhaps the thread is worn. But it still hand-winds, and date and time set ok.

Banned

It won't be cheap, but it will be worth it. There is no other "dad's watch" in the world. Besides that, Tudor is a pretty well respected brand. I'd do it in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I got this Tudor watch from my father which he has had since 1977. The case has corrosion and the gold plate is flaking off, and the crystal is cracked. Other than that it seems to run well and the dial and hands appear to be in good condition. Any comments on whether it's worth repairing would be appreciated.
    I would do it simply because it belonged to your father and has now become an heirloom. And it's a fine looking watch. A complete restoration by Rolex would cost a good amount of money but you would have a watch that was as new.

Simply replating the case, changing the crystal and having it serviced will give you a presentable watch that will run for decades for a lower cost. Be selective when choosing someone to replate the case though. I've seen good anf not so good jobs on the WUS.

The sentimental value alone would make it worth it to me.

In my view the only reason to restore is if it's a family heirloom. This assumes we are not talking about Patek or Vacheron here. Otherwise the economics are not favorable. In this case it is a no-brainer.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I have to agree with the people above me that comment on the sentimental value.

Since it mainly is esthetics, the repair costs shouldn't be unreasonably high. Yes, it will cost you a few hundred, but it will leave you with a classic Tudor that has been in your family for over 30 years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information