Which watch would you choose?

Thread: Which watch would you choose?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which watch would you choose?

I'm currently trying to decide between a Panerai circa 2005 (I think this one is a 048?), a LeCoultre Chrono circa 1970s, and the Grand Seiko SBGM023. The first two are used but have been serviced. The Seiko would be new. I know these three watches could not be more different, but I like to think of myself as an eclectic guy.

I have the first two on a "test drive" to see which I like better. BUT the Grand Seiko stands in the way as one of my favorite watches...ever. Further complicating things, however, is that I have no way of handling, trying on, or seeing the GS unless I visit one of the few dealers in the United States (which are fairly far away). I suspect the Seiko's fit and finish and movement are better than the other two.

I am unsure of the bezel on the LC. I haven't seen another one like it on my travels throughout the internet, so I'm not sure it's original.

Please remember that there is an option to not purchase any of them. Any input is appreciated.

Pix:

Last edited by ImitationOfLife; October 7th, 2012 at 03:49.

Re: Which watch would you choose?

That GS is just too gorgeous to resist.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    That GS is just too gorgeous to resist.
    Couldn't agree more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Grand Seiko for me.

I'm not an LC expert, but if it was all original I'd snap that up. I love that styling, and the brand. I'm also interested in a cool vintage piece, which that is.

But I would always go with one you love over one you may only like, and it sounds as though you love the GS. However I would recommend trying the GS before buying.

If you can get two (over time), then maybe consider the LC now, and wait for the GS when you can try it on.

If it's one watch for a long time, then buy nothing now and wait until you can try the GS.

Quote Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
    I'm not an LC expert, but if it was all original I'd snap that up. I love that styling, and the brand. I'm also interested in a cool vintage piece, which that is.
    You're right. The LC is a gorgeous watch and appears to be all original. The bezel just leaves me puzzled.

Although I said it was likely from the '70s, I think it's more like late '60s--1969 or so.

Edit: Nevermind. According to my research, it could be had with two different bezels, which *may* make this correct. Hm...
    Last edited by ImitationOfLife; October 7th, 2012 at 04:55.

SO! I found out the problem on the LeCoultre. It's missing the top bezel insert, which you can see in the photo I've attached. You can see the bottom part (that I have) peeking out from under it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by ImitationOfLife; October 7th, 2012 at 06:11.

Firstly I would immediately disregard the Pam. The Le Coutre is a cool as hell, has pedigree and style. Can you find the missing piece and if so how much? I think this piece would also hold its value very well. You might even see some appreciation.

For me ultimately it would be the GS though. Beautiful!
    "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by deluxeswiss View Post
    The Le Coutre is a cool as hell, has pedigree and style. Can you find the missing piece and if so how much? I think this piece would also hold its value very well. You might even see some appreciation.
    That's one of my worries because I see the insert costing an arm and leg.

I suppose someone on the forum might know a source, though.

Grand Seiko, on looks, quality of build, reliability.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information