The watch that you ALWAYS go back to.
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The watch that you ALWAYS go back to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

The watch that you ALWAYS go back to.

I know everyone out there can relate to the title of this thread. We all have one watch that we default to. It can be for any number of reasons- a milestone birthday gift, a wedding gift, maybe it was the watch you purchased after your first career-making business deal.

My "one watch" is what you'll commonly hear me refer to as my "trusty Seiko automatic." It's a simple, two-tone, kinetic auto relay with a 30mm dial and a date function.

Why is it my "one?" Before I moved from Philadelphia to Jupiter, FL to be with my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time), I sold all of my belongings to raise money for travel expenses and rent. Believe me, when I say everything, I mean everything. I got rid of my guitars, my computer, my audio equipment, and yes, all of my watches. Getting rid of the watches was the hardest part, but I was doing what needed to be done.

Fast forward a year, my wife and I (still my girlfriend at the time) were getting ready to be married. I scoured the internet for a cheap watch that I could wear to the ceremony (I'd be damned if I wasn't going to strap something on my wrist for the occasion). She saw me doing this, and mentioned it to her parents in passing one day. Being the ever-generous man that he is, my rather in law gave me a S/S Seiko automatic he had just bought and never worn (He was expecting the overhauls on his Grand Careera and 1800 Chrono to take longer than they actually did). No grand gesture, but a really nice thing he did nonetheless.

My wife brought it home to me, and needless to say, I was embarrassed and angry. I didn't want to accept it at first, but she insisted that it was a wedding gift, and that my father in law would be insulted if I didn't accept it. Long story short, I accepted the watch, and wore it at my wedding.

I wore it at my reception. Then I wore it to work (a local steakhouse). I wore it when we did our first ultrasound and saw our daughter for the first time. I wore it at my daughter's birth. I wore it for my first professional job interview, and got the job. I wore it for my next job interview, and landed the career opportunity of a lifetime.

Fast Forward to today, we're a lot better off than we were when we first got married, and I've been fortunate enough to have the opporunity to purchase many more watches- Movado, Breitling, Audemars Piguet...

But I always seem to come back to my trusty Seiko automatic.

What's your "one watch?"
    Last edited by vserduchka; June 27th, 2011 at 18:29.

Re: The watch that you ALWAYS go back to.

The Omega Seamaster Chrono. :)
    TOO MANY WATCHES... so little time.

Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00
    Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish X-Plus A17390
    Breitling B1 A68362
    Breitling Blackbird A13353
    Oris Diver Date 8454-07 8 24 01PEB
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer CAN1010.BA0821
    Citizen Promaster C390 Skyhawk Ecodrive
    Technomarine TMY05
    Orient CFT00006W

v76

Once you go El Primero you never go back
    Popoki Nui likes this.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For the longest it has been my Oris F1. That was my 1st auto & my wife gave it to me for a Christmas a few year back. That's the one that got me started on this craze & how I found this forum.

But I fear that now my Longines Hydroconquest may be taking over that spot. It feels a bit tougher, more rugged than the Oris & it's been getting an awfull lot of wrist time lately.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by *El Ocho 1* View Post
    For the longest it has been my Oris F1. That was my 1st auto & my wife gave it to me for a Christmas a few year back. That's the one that got me started on this craze & how I found this forum.

But I fear that now my Longines Hydroconquest may be taking over that spot. It feels a bit tougher, more rugged than the Oris & it's been getting an awfull lot of wrist time lately.
    I feel like Longines is a sleeping giant. I need to get one of their watches before the price jumps exponentially.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

very touching post vserduchka

the one watch which i will never sell is my G-shock which has been with me through the hardest times.

the one i always go back to is the Longines Legend Diver, can't put my finger on it but just have withdrawal if i don't wear it for a few days

Quote Originally Posted by vserduchka View Post
    I feel like Longines is a sleeping giant. I need to get one of their watches before the price jumps exponentially.

I have 2, a brown Grand Vitesse GMT, which I love & the afore mentioned Hydroconquest. Both keep really good time & I like the brand a lot. Would love to find a vintage conquest.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

My Lucien Piccard

I've got a "trusty Seiko automatic" as well (see my avatar). It's a 30 year old Seiko 5, which is 9 years older than me. My mom gave it to me when I was in either 6th or 7th grade. I wore it all through high school and college. I always wore it to work as well. When the strap broke one day I still brought it everywhere I went; I just put it in my pocket (pocket watch har har got a few funny looks when checking the time on the station platform). Last time I wore it was on my graduation a few weeks ago. It stopped working a day later.

In all these years it hasn't been serviced once, so I'm not too surprised that it stopped working. I'm getting it fixed once I get a bit of money together.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VolkswagenFox21 View Post
    I've got a "trusty Seiko automatic" as well (see my avatar). It's a 30 year old Seiko 5, which is 9 years older than me. My mom gave it to me when I was in either 6th or 7th grade. I wore it all through high school and college. I always wore it to work as well. When the strap broke one day I still brought it everywhere I went; I just put it in my pocket (pocket watch har har got a few funny looks when checking the time on the station platform). Last time I wore it was on my graduation a few weeks ago. It stopped working a day later.

In all these years it hasn't been serviced once, so I'm not too surprised that it stopped working. I'm getting it fixed once I get a bit of money together.
    That's great to hear about your watch lasting so long! Sad about it stopping on you though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information